Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoomies on walks??

11K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Foresthound 
#1 ·
So Pikel and I were out for our morning walk this morning, and he got zoomies. It would have been a little bit comical, but he was throwing himself against the end of the leash, which not only was nearly yanking my arm out of its socket, but was also obviously putting a LOT of pressure on his neck. Any tips on (ideally) avoiding zoomies on walks, or ideas on how to calm down a dog with zoomies on walks? I tried to kind of wait it out a bit, but then we just started running. I'm NOT a runner, so we couldn't go for very far, but that did seem to help. Then again, like I said, I tried to wait it out for a while, so maybe he would have calmed down anyway? This is the first zoomies-while-on-leash (other than the time that I assumed he was tired at the end of a walk and he got zoomies and got away from me. The neighbors almost died from laughter as they watched me chase after him all around our front and back yards) I've had to deal with, so it's not like it happens very often, thankfully!

#2 ·
He was just very excited. Zoomies are just random outlets of energy and perfectly normal.

Why not get a long leash (20ft+) and let him have a bit of running room? This way he can safely run back and forth when he gets these bursts of energy and also explore a bit more without having to run along side?

We got a 20ft cotton one off amazon for $10 or so. It's great for pups for practicing recalls and they can safely play and run around when not in a contained area.

Posted via Mobile Device

#3 ·
I remember my first dog always getting zoomies on walks would yank in random directions on the leash. I was a kid then so just had to stand,sometimes lay there till she stopped.

If a large dog runs full speed on a long leash you can get pulled over,or at least a sprained arm.

You can do home exercises or run arounds before the walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.