Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So we went to bed late Saturday night, and at 10am on Sunday morning Zoey decided it was time to play with Kasper. My bf had gone downstairs to toilet / play with Raiden, but I needed more sleep so he let Zoey go the loo then put her in her crate with a Kong.

Early afternoon we let Zoey out of her crate and knew immediately something was wrong...she was walking slowly, her body was dancing (tremors), her eyes were showing the whites, her ears were pulled back, tail extremely tucked and she was just acting terrified. I had a quick check and couldn't feel anything odd and she didn't act hurt. She just went to her bed and lay down, and slept unhappily. After five minutes the violent tremors stopped, and after 15 the gentle shivering stopped.

We phoned the vet and gave them lots of details haha, and they said as she hadn't eaten anything odd, been sick or had runny poops to see how she was when she woke up. After a few hours sleep she woke up and came and lay next to me on the couch, and the hard shivering started again.

We called the vet and said we would be bringing her in, then called a taxi. We put her harness on (she was eager to get outside)...and as soon as we stepped outside she was ten times better! Interested in her surroundings, walking normally, shivering stopped etc :rolleyes:

The taxi we called arrived, by which point Zoey was 100% normal, and Zoey leapt in and was desperate to kiss the driver!!! :D We got to the vet and went in and it was the wonderful vet we saw a few days before, who treated our puppy. She took us into the examination room and checked Zoey's eyes & gums (very difficult as Zoey was wriggling and wanted to give kisses!), her joints, tummy and heart and her temperature. The temp was the only bit Zoey didn't like, but all she did was wiggle and took praise and ham like a star :)

Vet had no idea what was wrong so gave her a shot of antibiotic and anti-inflammatory stuffs. Zoey didn't mind at all. The vet said she was a lovely girl, Zoey was amazing and very happy with it all haha. We got the taxi home then she had a short walk for being so good, and here's her happy face :rofl:

She was especially spoilt for the rest of that day, she got to play with any toy she wanted, including squeaky balls which she is usually banned from as she drives us crazy!

This was five minutes after getting home...she looks so HAPPY :rolleyes:

And she has since reclaimed the pen in the living room as her 'crate' ;)

So yeah...really pleased you're okay Zoey and hope you're not poorly again...and thanks for making us spend £95 on an emergency vet appointment, then acting perfectly healthy and happy when we got there! :D

All we can think is either she had some sort of poorly tummy or such, and it scared her (?), or maybe she was feeling poorly and then something 'scary' happened whilst she was in her crate...she's scared of things falling, even plastic bags, so it's possible. Although she does very well with pain, she hates feeling ill (I think because she has only been poorly a handful of times in her life)...but thanks for making us totally freak out and think we were going to lose you, you big doofus <3 :)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh also she now weighs 15kg!!! We've finally hit a good weight after years of trying to get her to gain haha...this time last year she was 11kg, and that was after she'd already gained some :)

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
@Red, I'm thrilled she is OK. I'm still wondering what it was all about.

Love her smile too, I just want to hug her and tell her not to scare us again.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha thanks Timber, she's a little sod though :)

Thank you harleyboysmum, it was truly terrifying. The vet thought at first it could have been some sort of seizure, but said upon meeting Zoey that there was very little chance of that because of her behaviour, body language and eye check. She was stumped! Zoey would love to have you hug her, hugs are her favourite :p

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
What a pretty face! Kabota has done that to me. "I'm so sick! Oooh, wait, is this the place where they have those lovely dehydrated bison treats? I LOVE that place!"

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Gotta love when they do that, get you all scared, and then act perfectly fine in front of the vet.

She is adorable though!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ColliesRock, she is a really sweet dog - total lovebug haha :) Thank you!

amaryllis haha thanks! Zoey isn't even that fussed about food (she took ham fairly well at the appointment, but she's not a stomach-on-legs-constantly-starving dog like Kasper!) she was just thrilled to be meeting these new people and getting lots of attention :rofl:

jclark343 it always happens to us either after hours or on a Sunday, too. I can't believe we took her to the emergency vet and all the vet could find 'wrong' was she had a slight temperature...oops! Apologies nice vet, she really was acting odd earlier! :eek:

The vet also commented "she's quite pink - is she normally that pink?" And I had to mumble-reply "Yes, um, she's quite a pink dog. And very baldy too, she has virtually no hair on her belly" HAHAHA :D

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
I cant help laugh at how pleased she looks at herself and how happy she is on those pictures! Just trust the dog to make you spend all that money and nothing wrong LOL, my dogs have done that before.

Though on more serious note (im afraid amount of laughing is due to new anti depressant and its been years since i laughed properly nad feels so good to laugh sorry) im sorry you had to go through that how terryfying for you all! gosh reminds me of Jessie last december when she had heatstroke in a way the shaking only Jessie was shaking all over and panting non stop. Took till 5am to get her to not shake at all at emergency vets last year.

Im pleased nothing was wrong other then slight temp and she is well otherwise

·
Registered
507 Posts
jclark343 it always happens to us either after hours or on a Sunday, too. I can't believe we took her to the emergency vet and all the vet could find 'wrong' was she had a slight temperature...oops! Apologies nice vet, she really was acting odd earlier! :eek:
That was me with my cat twice. Once was after we moved, and he just wouldn't eat, but then got the hunger pukes, which I had never heard of at the time... they charged us $600 to tell us nothing was wrong. >.<

Second time, he ate a daffodil and then was puking and had gross poop, and everywhere online was like "DAFFODILS ARE DANGEROUS," so we took him to the vet, and they were like "Eh, he seems fine. Our books say daffodils aren't that bad??" Luckily, that vet only charged a minimal fee, even though it was an emergency vet.

They like to be sick after hours, for sure. :)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha laugh away crazy, we can appreciate the funny side now :D And I'm glad your new meds are working for you too :)

Sha - ah, the wondrous hunger pukes!! When Kasper was a scrawny teenager he would puke every morning because his stomach was too empty. After a few days we took him to the vet, who couldn't find anything wrong but gave him three injections to be safe. I asked what they were: one antibiotic, one anti-inflammatory and HE DIDN'T KNOW WHAT THE THIRD WAS?! :eek: But of course he charged us for it *sigh* Then I came and posted about Kasper on here and someone (Tess I think) said it could be hunger pukes :rolleyes:

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Haha laugh away crazy, we can appreciate the funny side now :D And I'm glad your new meds are working for you too :)

Sha - ah, the wondrous hunger pukes!! When Kasper was a scrawny teenager he would puke every morning because his stomach was too empty. After a few days we took him to the vet, who couldn't find anything wrong but gave him three injections to be safe. I asked what they were: one antibiotic, one anti-inflammatory and HE DIDN'T KNOW WHAT THE THIRD WAS?! :eek: But of course he charged us for it *sigh* Then I came and posted about Kasper on here and someone (Tess I think) said it could be hunger pukes :rolleyes:
Thanks red i admit i was laughing till i red Harleyboymom post esp after seeing zoey first picture that massive looking grin and of course how it seemed to go and come back till you called taxi to take her to emergency vet then she was fine esp at the vets! that is just typical! Jess did that not too long ago when vet told me she has colitis. Jess seemed so miserable, lethargic and not herself so got her on bus to the vets where she of course acted all ok and looked to say whats the fuss about? so that was $50-60 nzd but another time she got clean bill of health! they sure know how to tug our heart strings. btw red where in the UK are you if you dont mind me asking and would you mind if I pm you? Jess and i could be moving to UK in 12 months lake district

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
p.s im glad too because it sure wasnt fun being a flat tyre being dragged along and not laughing for a few years. Jessie looked at me to say mum what the F do you think your doing singing and dancing to a song on youtube only half dressed! that was yesterday morning i even danced with her lol

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I love Zoey's huge grin when she's had a walk and is happy...can't help but smile can you? :)

Hey you're (possibly) moving to the UK? Exciting! Feel free to PM me, I'll attempt to figure out how to PM you and tell you where I live after I've posted this...don't remember the last time I sent a PM so it might take me a while to figure out LOL! :D

Bleh I can't imagine feeling so bad for so long. I have Bipolar Disorder so I tend to feel crummy for several months at a time, so I can (ever so slightly) empathise! I hope the meds continue working for you :)

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
I love Zoey's huge grin when she's had a walk and is happy...can't help but smile can you? :)

Hey you're (possibly) moving to the UK? Exciting! Feel free to PM me, I'll attempt to figure out how to PM you and tell you where I live after I've posted this...don't remember the last time I sent a PM so it might take me a while to figure out LOL! :D

Bleh I can't imagine feeling so bad for so long. I have Bipolar Disorder so I tend to feel crummy for several months at a time, so I can (ever so slightly) empathise! I hope the meds continue working for you :)
No cant help but smile or in my case laugh at it when first see it!

Yes major news i know! just made a post in general discussion and replied to your PM thanks so much for that! i was afraid i have bi polar but apparently its not thought that i do but dont! i do get extreme high and lows though, thanks and i hope it continues working too.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Delilah's done that to me -__- Bf and I thought she was dying and she was perfectly fine by the time we got to the e vet. Charged us $108 for nothing really- a 15 minute check up to tell us she's fine + almost an hour of waiting when there were no other patients there! If something really was wrong with her she could have died while we were waiting!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Delilah's done that to me -__- Bf and I thought she was dying and she was perfectly fine by the time we got to the e vet. Charged us $108 for nothing really- a 15 minute check up to tell us she's fine + almost an hour of waiting when there were no other patients there! If something really was wrong with her she could have died while we were waiting!
Wth, why were you waiting almost an hour if there was nobody else there?!? We were charged £95 (according to google that's about $147) but it was an emergency appointment on a Sunday, the vet spent plenty of time fussing Zoey and we did get two injections too...yay :p

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Wth, why were you waiting almost an hour if there was nobody else there?!? We were charged £95 (according to google that's about $147) but it was an emergency appointment on a Sunday, the vet spent plenty of time fussing Zoey and we did get two injections too...yay :p

No idea- the receptionist wasn't very nice either- she didn't seem to understand why we were so worried so it's not like she helped hurry things along. And after when we saw the bill my bf made a comment on how expensive it was and she was like, "yeah it's expensive to have pets" all condescending.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm glad she's okay. That must have been terrifying. I walk a few dogs with epilepsy. Not fun.

That vet though. We found absolutely nothing so we're going to give her worthless antibiotics and steroids. That's why we have antibiotic-resistant superbugs...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts