Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Zelda is so darn adorable :) How old is she now?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Sabina88 she is 14wks now! Funny enough Mica and her were born on the same day.

Two puppies at once has not been easy but it has been a lot of fun. It was not really planned.

Zelda was originally purchased by the daughter of a friend of mine - on a whim. She came from a working ranch and the parents are not health tested or papered. Though I am going to get her DM testing done just for my own peace of mind.

Anyway the girl who purchased her has a female pitbull who as it turns out is not okay with other female dogs, even puppies. She grabbed Zelda by the head and did some damage. Her owner could not afford the vet bill so we paid it and ended up taking ownership of her.

I do want to say that the pit is by no means a bad dog. She is super friendly with people, lets kids climb all over her with zero problems and is good with male dogs.
I don't want to come across as anti pit because I do love the breed.

Beth

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
@Ruckus, O-M-G Zelda is adorable! I love her ears, and she has a great amount of white on her face. Not to mention you don't see a ton of tri corgis. She is adorable. And she looks smart as a whip. Gotta keep everyone in line. Does she have any lasting effects from the pit bull grab?

Your friends komondor, are they going to grow out that coat and let it dread?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@jclark343 she is very smart! but a bit stubborn at times which makes it more fun. I prefer hard headed dogs that are not afraid to tell me off.

She does not appear to be psychologically damaged from the event. She was a little bit stand offish with a couple of the pitbulls in our circle of dog friends but she plays well with them now. She also does not get upset when we pass one in a yard or being walked when we are out and about.

I do have to be a little careful of letting her play with other dogs though. She is very barky and rough and tumble and sometimes comes off a little rude. We are working on that by letting her play with stable adult dogs who are not afraid to appropriately tell her off for being a brat.

The Komondor (Devereux) is not going to be corded. His owner is a professional groomer who keeps her dogs immaculately clean. She would go insane trying to bath a corded dog. She plans on keeping him brushed out and fluffy - though she has gotten a lot of flack about it from the Komondor people. I don't see how it matters though since he is a house dog and not going to be outside guarding any sheep.

Beth

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
@Ruckus Sounds like a typical corgi. Stubborn, Tough, and Rough. They are rugged little dogs. But then again I guess they would have to be to herd cattle. That's great that she doesn't seem to have had any repercussions from the bite. Also great that you have a few pit bull friends that you can socialize her with.

That's interesting that she's not going to cord. Like you said, I don't really see why it matters if she has no intentions of using him to guard or and she isn't planning on showing. Cording seems like it might be a lot of work.

You seem to be very knowledgeable about dogs, more then the average owner. Do you work with dogs for a profession?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@jclark343 Thank you! but no I'm not a professional or at least not one that gets paid. I have done rescue for the past 13yrs mostly with large/giant guardian breeds.
I am often called in on dogs with the highest chance of biting people. Though usually that turns out to be a dog that if perfectly fine if you speak dog. Unfortunately lots of local rescue people have their hearts in the right place but are under educated in dog body language and psychology. It is a source of much frustration! I also end up fostering a lot of pregnant and nursing Moms.

I do take a lot of different dog classes (obedience, agility, rally, ect) not because I want to compete in any of them but because I find them a lot of fun. We have a really good training club here in Phoenix that offers six week classes for $30 throughout the fall, winter, spring - I sign up for a lot of things!

Beth

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
@Ruckus $30 for 6 weeks of classes! Gah I am jealous! Mine are $100 for 6 weeks. Well you can definitely tell you know your stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts