Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your preferences for wound topicals? I used to love Novalsan ointment but they quit making it. :( We still keep it in liquid form for cleaning wounds, but I haven't found a topical ointment to stick with. On our shelf is Entederm, EMT Gel, Vetericyn, Tri-care, Neosporin, Swat, and maybe one more.... With the exception of entederm and swat, they all expire before we can use them (which is a good thing, of course).
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah yes, we have bag balm, too, but I hardly ever use it. I should probably check that one's expiration date! I do like it... Very gentle stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ive been using Tea Tree oil for a wound that my pup got from a fight over a chocolate pudding pot my brother left on the floor !!!. and i must say the infection has cleared from 3 cleans a day with this oil dabbed on with a cotton bud

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Ive been using Tea Tree oil for a wound that my pup got from a fight over a chocolate pudding pot my brother left on the floor !!!. and i must say the infection has cleared from 3 cleans a day with this oil dabbed on with a cotton bud
be careful as tea tree oil is toxic to dogs and cats. I have read their liver cannot process it so it will build up over time or make them extremely sick esp if they lick the tea tree oil off their skin. I know it is in lots of products for tick repelling but straight oil is more concentrated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
well it worked wonders. i only used a dab on a cotton bud to cure the infection i did not douse the dog in it. but i have been told in future to water it down and i will continue to use this for infected wounds. tea tree oil can be poisonous to us as well you know but we still use it?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I don't use it on my skin. The only essential oil I will use on my skin is peppermint (makes me feel better when I have a headache) because I figure if I can ingest it, it is skin safe. Besides it is soooo stinky :)

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tom, toxicity levels can vary between species. Also consider the size difference of dogs and people. I guess I don't understand why you'd continue to use it after knowing it is toxic, when there are other products out there, even natural products.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, it seems the natural remedy folks are all about the tea tree oil. I'm going to have to look into this some more.... There's usually a gap between natural/holistic and convention treatments, ie views on garlic!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
The problem with tea tree oil is not that it doesn't work...just that it's very concentrated. Essential oils usually need diluted in some way. For example, If I mop my floor with a homemade mixture, it will be a little squirt of natural dish soap, 1/2 cup vinegar, 2-3 DROPS tea tree oil, 2-3 drops orange oil and a gallon or 2 of hot water. Most essential oils should be diluted in a carrier oil like olive oil to be used on the skin. If you go to a health food store they can tell you a lot about it. Beware what you read on the internet about them. A lot of this will depend on the weight of your dog and if your liver isn't processing it then the more you are exposed, then it's going to build up. My friend who IS a vet confirmed it was toxic to dogs (and even more so to cats) and I actually do frequently use it for household purposes. Pets have died from tea tree oil exposure so it's not something I'd risk on a pet OR on my own skin. I mainly use it for cleaning around my house and even then it is diluted a lot (and I have to use another better smelling oil like orange to offset the stink).

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh yeah, when I said I want to look into it, I wasn't considering to use it on my dogs. I wanted to see some research on the safety for dogs out of curiousity. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
What are your preferences for wound topicals? I used to love Novalsan ointment but they quit making it. :( We still keep it in liquid form for cleaning wounds, but I haven't found a topical ointment to stick with. On our shelf is Entederm, EMT Gel, Vetericyn, Tri-care, Neosporin, Swat, and maybe one more.... With the exception of entederm and swat, they all expire before we can use them (which is a good thing, of course).
Posted via Mobile Device
I mix a little healing clay with water and apply to the wound. Once it dries it makes an excellent bandage. I like it because if they lick it off it wont hurt them. When dry makes a great bandage. Its has no known side effects and kills even the worst bacteria.
Natural First Aid for Pets – External Applications of Montmorillonite Clay © | All Natural Pet Care Blog
This is the one I use for myself and my dogs. I also use it for cleaning teeth.
HealthForce Nutritionals, ZeoForce, Detoxify Daily, 400 g, Powder - iHerb.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts