Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My uncle breeds Carolina Dogs and has offered us a puppy. He got all 3 of his breeder dogs straight from a breeder out of North Carolina, his last one he got this past year and drove down there to get her. Stud dog is all black and long haired, one female is tan and short haired, looks exactly like an australian dingo and other female is black and white piebald with long hair(one he recently picked up). Only thing that makes me think.. is that they are all first generation, being caught as pups out of the wild. I would love to have a short haired tan female but dont really know much about the breed. My uncle said they're not much for protection as they are more shy then anything and they dont bark.. :ponder: He said he's trying to get the long haired strain going because there arent very many and there definantly arnt many in IN. He said he has a australian dingo colored female puppy.. which was what I wanted.. and when she matures she should look exactly like one.. pointed ears and all.. but im debating.. These pups would be second generation.. so would they be more easy to handle then the parents? He said you have to handle them from an early age continuosly because they are considered a "feral" dog and if not handled consistantly will be hard to control. Im used to power breeds and have confidence I can handle them. We've always had rotties and pits.. but still not quite sure if I want to take one or not.. Do they eat the same thing as a regular dog? Or do I have to buy a special food? How are they around children? Sorry got alot of questions :eek:

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
The second gen pups should be fine...read up alot on basenjis and shiba inus. I would guess the temprament/behavior would be similar...more akin to owning/training a cat than any dog you have dealt with before.

depends what you want out of your pet, if you want to try a different "flavor" than your rotties/pits I'd say go for it. Likely going to be an independent type.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
That's too neat. Shows what a Noob I am-I had no idea what you were talking about. For those in the same boat, you can read about them here: Carolina Dog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Incredible that they were not discovered until the 70's *jaw drop*

I have a total lure to wild dogs-Dingo's, wolf hybrids, even the african wild dog (which is NOT a pet of course)-so I think it's very exciting you may be getting one.

I don't have any advice on keeping them-obviously just heard of them from you! But I would assume the same holds as with any hybrid or wild dog-they may not have domestic qualities-like really paying attention to you and wanting to please. I would think you may have the same troubles as those who keep wolf/coyote hybrids-there is some wild in them ;)

I wonder if you'd look out people who keep hybrids or other wild type dogs-see what they find for challenges etc.

However you have a great resource already-your uncle is keeping them. Bet he could be a big help too.

Rule: IF you get one-you HAVE to post pictures!! So neat :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I'm still debating. He said they are more aloof then other breeds.. more independent and have a tendency to be flighty.. atleast his adults are.. he said when he takes his stud dog, mingo, with him out to the horse property he's extremely difficult to catch. I may just wait until this coming spring to get one.. because it is getting winter here.. and getting one in the spring/summer.. would be easier.. give em a jump start on the colder months. He said they are pretty gentle and instead of a bark.. they're voice is more of like a yodel.. but they wont attack strangers if they come on the property.. they arnt wired for that.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Yeh totally sounds like what I'd think-maybe a lot like Huskies ;) ?

I agree-waiting until spring may be a good idea-then you can be out and working on 'coming' :) They sound pretty cool-but wouldn't expect a regular dog from that. They look pretty neat too!

·
Registered
274 Posts
I had a carolina dog/lab mix, but she was more carolina dog. She never gave me problems, she didnt even have nipping problems when she was a pup. But hey, thats one dog. Like Crio said, I would read up alot on related breeds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, he said they dont bite. It's not in their nature. I remember when he just had Mingo and it was really wary of strangers.. when we'd go over and visit he'd take off and hide until we left.. very shy dog.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 3 year old Carolina dog named Rufus. He is the sweetest guy ever. He lives with a Shiba Inu and 3 Papillons. He loves them all and is very gentle. I got him as a rescue from a local humane society. Didn't know what a Carolina dog was at the time. Would recommend one to anyone. Shy but loving.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Yeah, he said they dont bite. It's not in their nature.
ALL dogs bite, there is no such thing as "not in their nature". if someone ever asks me "does your dog bite?" my response: "she hasnt yet". no offence to you or anything, but im a little leary of what your uncle is producing. sounds like he just got a couple dogs and started breeding them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dingo Mommy

Hi!
I have 2 American Dingos. They are amazing, loving dogs! They need a lot of training early on and socialization to small animals and all ages of people as well. They are not independent if made a part of the family not just treated as" the dog". They are extremely smart so if the alpha role is not established there will be trouble! They have tons of energy so if they are not excersised multiple times daily they will destroy the house. They are easy to train if you practice daily. They do not bark much at all but when they do it is much more intimidating than their size. One thing they cannot be trained to do is to stop digging. It is in their nature. So if you love your yard and can't deal with that, don't adopt one! Also if not introduced to small dogs and cats when a puppy you will have issues when around them in the future. Their natural instinct is to hunt! Please let me know if you have questions! I've had one, my girl, since she was 13 weeks and our boy was a rescue that was a stray until 7 months. Big differences!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts