Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bodie is 18 weeks now and we've finally gotten into a little routine. Everything's going well and I feel like I'm relaxing into it all a bit more. My only (deeply felt!) wish is that he'd sleep a little later at weekends. He's usually up at 7, which I know isn't bad, but just one more hour's sleep would be wonderful! So I'm wondering what kind of routine everyone else has. Ours is something like this, based on a regular weekday (FYI Bodie doesn't have free run of the house, so he's either in his crate or outside)..

6:45am Wakes when my son gets up for school. Outside for P&P and a little play time. Breakfast about 30-45 mins later.
9am - 12:30pm Napping in crate while I work.
12:30 Walk 20-30 mins
1-2pm Lunch
Napping in crate for a lot of the afternoon & early evening, with periods outside
7pm Dinner, followed by walk, games of fetch and basically as much running around as possible.
8:30ish Crate for sleep
11pm Toilet break, then asleep for the night.

Should I keep him up later in the evening? Given that he doesn't wander around the house, it would need more time from us in the evening playing / supervising outside, but I'm willing to give it a go if it'll tire him out.

He gets more exercise at weekends.

Would love to hear other routines for puppies.

Thanks,
C.
Ps he poops pretty regularly 3 times per day, morning, lunch & evening. No poop when I take him out at 11, no matter how long I wait.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
6 am ish - wake up, potty, breakfast.
6:30 - outside play! About an hour.
7:30 - 9:30 - inside enclosure, self play, play and grooming training.
9:30 - sleep
11:30 - play + train.
12:00 sleep, I leave for 3 hours.
3:00 - outside
4:00 - 6:00 - inside play + relax.
6:00 - outside play + train.
7:00 - relax
8:00 - sleep

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ringo is only 9.5 weeks old so I'm sure things will change has he grows and needs less sleep.

Right now he's up for the day at 5am. Without fail. He goes outside to potty and for a bit of playtime with our other dog. After about 45 mins, we have a short training session using his breakfast and then some cuddles and he's ready for a nap. Which is good because the kids usually wake up around this time.

I don't really look at the clock but we pretty much repeat this throughout the day: nap, potty, play, train, relax. We train while playing, we play while training, he likes to run around with our other dog, we relax with cuddles or chews or practicing calm behavior (especially when the kids are playing on the floor). And we go potty a lot. :p

He almost always has a nap from 7-9pm. 9-10pm we play/train, 10-11 he dozes in the living room with whichever one of us is still awake, has one last potty break and then goes into his crate. We let him out about 1am and then he sleeps till 5.

I feel you on the sleep. 5am is super early - even my kids don't wake up that early - but it's probably best because we live in Arizona and it gets hot pretty quick. But I do miss sleeping.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies Chas and Linzydd. Both of your posts made me grateful for my 7am starts. ? Having said that, I put a blanket over Bodies crate last night and he was quiet until
I got up at 8:30! Boy did I enjoy that lie-in. We're in Ireland so not as warm as Arizona Linzydd.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Jasper will be 10 weeks old on Tuesday and this is his typical day:

5:15 am - wake up, pee/poo, then play, nibble at breakfast
6- back out to potty
6-6:30- I sit in his 4x4 pen with him and we play (still getting him used to our cats so no free run of the house)
6:30- I leave him to play alone and he snoozes, plays, etc.
7:00- My son takes him out to potty again and then back in his pen while I run my son to school.
7:30-8- Daughter plays with him in pen and then at 8 we walk together to drop her at school. I then keep him out on leash until 8:30, then into crate.
8:30-11:00 Crate
11-11:45- Dog walker comes, feeds him, plays with him
11:45-1:45- Crate
1:45 I get home from work and take him out to potty.
Rest of the afternoon is play, potty, coming in car to take kids to activities, etc.
Need to start a puppy class ASAP and need to start training, but have been overwhelmed with a sick cat (who passed on Tuesday), parents visiting, kids activities, etc.
Goes out one last time around 9 or 9:30 and sleeps through the night until 5am if we are lucky. REALLY wish we could push it till 6am- I am SO FREAKING TIRED!!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
MHDDOG2016, so sorry about your cat. :( Hopefully Jasper will let you sleep in one of these days because that does sound exhausting. I can't wait to start puppy class, either - two more weeks.

·
Registered
712 Posts
@MHDDOG2016 I feel your pain! My puppy is 4.5 months old and she STILL wakes up at 530am. Without fail. On the dot. I don't even need to set my alarm in the morning anymore. Sigh. Even on the weekends.

This is our weekly schedule:

530am wake up, quick pee/poop break
-I'm always praying I don't see anyone in front of my building when I take her out cuz I'm still in my pjs, hair's a mess and I'm still wearing my mouth guard lol
6-730am walk, quick play at the park (weather/coyotes permitting), breakfast, training
730am I leave for work
1145am I come back home for lunch, pee/poop break/quick play/training/feeding
445pm Home from work, pee/poop break
530-630/7pm play/park/training (weather permitting--it rains often here)
7pm dinner
730-830pm more play, training, last pee/poop break
If I don't have any energy left to play with her, she'll play by herself for a bit and then pass out.

By the time I have time to myself, I need to go to bed! (930-10ish)

I feel like this is never going to end. I even had to have my friend take care of my other dog for now until I can get her more well behaved/trained/calmer because she terrorizes my older dog. Even when he growls at her and tells her to back off, she thinks it's part of playing. :(

I can't remember the last time I was able to sit down on the couch and eat my dinner in peace. Half the time I'm taking bites in between playing fetch or tug of war with her.

·
Registered
324 Posts
@MHDDOG2016 I feel your pain! My puppy is 4.5 months old and she STILL wakes up at 530am. Without fail. On the dot. I don't even need to set my alarm in the morning anymore. Sigh. Even on the weekends.

This is our weekly schedule:

530am wake up, quick pee/poop break
-I'm always praying I don't see anyone in front of my building when I take her out cuz I'm still in my pjs, hair's a mess and I'm still wearing my mouth guard lol
6-730am walk, quick play at the park (weather/coyotes permitting), breakfast, training
730am I leave for work
1145am I come back home for lunch, pee/poop break/quick play/training/feeding
445pm Home from work, pee/poop break
530-630/7pm play/park/training (weather permitting--it rains often here)
7pm dinner
730-830pm more play, training, last pee/poop break
If I don't have any energy left to play with her, she'll play by herself for a bit and then pass out.

By the time I have time to myself, I need to go to bed! (930-10ish)

I feel like this is never going to end. I even had to have my friend take care of my other dog for now until I can get her more well behaved/trained/calmer because she terrorizes my older dog. Even when he growls at her and tells her to back off, she thinks it's part of playing. :(

I can't remember the last time I was able to sit down on the couch and eat my dinner in peace. Half the time I'm taking bites in between playing fetch or tug of war with her.

UGH- sorry you are dealing with early mornings too. My entire neighborhood has seen me at my worst at this point! I REALLY hope I am in a better place by the time he is 4 1/2 months old. The light at the end of the tunnel is the only thing keeping me going at this point.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MHDDOG2016, is it an option for you to take him out for his last potty break a little later than 9:30? Bodie goes out for his at 10:30/11 during the week and later at weekends. Just wondering if that might help. Also, Bodie sleeps in the utility room with a blackout blind on the window, plus the blanket now over the crate. The darkness seems to help him. Having said that, your little guy is still v young so it may not be possible for him to sleep later for another while. At that age, we had newspapers on the floor for Bodie and just cleaned up in the morning.. It meant we got a couple more hours than if he'd been in the crate at that stage. HTH.

·
Registered
339 Posts
It makes me feel a little better to know that I'm not the only one awake before the sun, as much as it stinks for all of us. :( I tried putting Ringo back in the crate after his 5am potty just to see if he'd go back to sleep, but it was pretty obvious he was ready to start the day. My husband will trade off with me on Ringo's 11pm or 1am bathroom break but he's pretty useless at 5am...not that I'm much better!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I work every day from 9-1:30. I crate him from 8:30-11. At 11, the dog walker comes and takes him out, plays with him and feeds him. He gets re-crated around 11:30 or 11:45. Then I get home at 1:45. He is 11 weeks old and we have been doing this since he was 8 1/2 weeks old. It has worked well, no accidents at all.

If you work a typical 8 hour day, I would make sure you have someone come in mid-day for a walk and to play. A young puppy is supposed to be able to "hold it" for one hour longer than his age in months, so for an 8 week-old puppy, he should theoretically be abler to hold it for 3 hours. Of course, every puppy is different, and the smaller the puppy, the smaller the bladder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just rescued a 12 week old puppy 2 weeks ago and it's a little overwhelming with my two little ones! Im trying my best and am staring to settle into a scehdule that feels comfortable for all of us but sometimes things get crazy and off track and she has an accident in the house. :(
730am- out to pee, then breakfast
8- back out to pee and poop.
815- kids get up and we eat and get dressed
845- back out to pee
9-11 crated because I have physical therapy
11- out to pee and playtime
Ruby usually has free run of the upstairs and I just take her out every hour unless I leave then she's crated
2- lunch and out right after to pee and poop
Out every hour or sooner if she seems to have to go
7- dinner then out right after to poop
730-830 play outside
9- kids bed time and Ruby goes out to poop again.
She usually lays with me on the couch til bedtime at 11. I let her out again right before heading to bed.
She sleeps on the floor by my side of the bed, usually wakes me once to go out then hops in bed with me the rest of the night til morning.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts