Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to know what native wild creatures you see near your house. Where I live (Tampa Bay), I see hawks daily. A pair of screech owls is nesting in my next door neighbor's tree. My neighbor on the other side has a pair of nesting cardinals. A lone adult bald eagle and its youngster live in a tree one block over. I don't know what happened to the eagle's mate. I see raccoons and opossums almost every evening, and I have a very persistent armadillo living under my shed in the back. Behind my house, there is a canal with snapping turtles, softshell turtles, and what looks like tilapia fish. Every morning, I see "The Gang of Nine" white ibis poking around in my front yard. I haven't seen any coyotes - yet!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
We have raccoons, skunks, birds (crows, robins..), rats/mice, squirrels, chipmunks, pretty sure there are garden snakes... But I live in the city so there are too many people for them to come out. We have common house spiders and stray cats... No stray dogs, the humane society does a good job at keep the dogs off the streets... Turkeys (Haven't seen them yet, BIL has though..)...Quite frankly a lot of these animals are considered pests but the city doesn't do much to contain them...

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Fox, moose, deer, bears, coyotes, mink, weasels, fischers, all manner of hawks, osprey, occasional bald eagle, several types of owls, ravens, pileated woodpeckers, bobcats, porcupines, skunks, raccoons, very seldom river otters. Thats about it for the big stuff off the top of my head.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
500 Posts
I might see during this year:
- hedgehogs
- crows
- magpies
- great blue tits, sparrows, wagtails and other small birds
- brown hares
- squirrels
- shrews
- pigeons
- I think there could be a fox for I've seen one in similar environment
- last fall I saw a dead rat, so they are around too.
- house cats (not wild though)
- pheasants
- ducks

At our summer place I can also meet adders, and I know there are elks for I've seen their tracks.

·
Registered
897 Posts
We get coyotes, rabbits, rattlesnakes, garter snakes, bull snakes, skunks, deer, and then usually a little farther from us, but not by much, moutain lions. Oh, and unfortunately, we get mice, who I hate with a fiery passion. If I had an AK47...

·
Registered
897 Posts
Also forgot to add the freakishly huge spiders that frequent the area...one was in our house, it was the size of my palm! It was so creepy! Out of everything I think the spiders and rattlesnakes are my least favorite...

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
I feed a huge flock of birds that include, cardinals, sparrows, pine warbler, goldfinches, red belly woodpecker, brown thrasher, mourning and inca doves, crows, hummingbirds, and juncos. There's also a pair of hawks that nest nearby and I hear owls calling at night and have occasionally seen road runners. Recently two squirrels have started showing up to eat, and I'll also have rabbits show up for the seeds. We also have deer, coyotes, foxes, wolves, armadillos, opossums, skunks, mice, racoons, blue tailed skinks, green anoles, rat snakes preying mantis, walking sticks, an assortment of other insects, spiders, and reptiles. I think it's a mole that's tunneling in my yard but I can't prove it.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I have a semi up to date running list. These are the animals I've seen in my neighborhood or the hiking area across the street:

Whitetail deer
Eastern cottontail rabbits
Redtailed hawks
American kestrels
Crows
Barred owls
Great Horned owls
Downy woodpeckers
Pileated woodpeckers
Wild turkeys
Bobcats
Coyotes
Red fox
Eastern newts
Eastern red-backed salamanders
Spotted salamanders
American toads
Spring peepers
Bullfrogs
Green frogs
Painted turtles
Snapping turtles
Common garter snakes
Great blue herons
Green herons
Canada geese
Wood ducks
Mallards
Osprey
Turkey vultures
Bald eagles
Common snipe (chick I saved from a cat)
Black backed gulls
Herring gulls
Ring billed gulls
Rock doves
Mourning doves
Ruby throated hummingbirds
Tree swallows
Blue jays
Black capped chickadees
Robins
Cedar waxwings
Cardinals
House sparrows
Red winged blackbirds
Common grackles
American goldfinches
Purple finches
House finches
Eastern chipmunks
Red squirrels
Grey squirrels
Meadow voles
Beavers
Mice
Raccoons
Black bears
Moose
Short tailed weasels
Fishers
SKUNKS! Mia thinks they're friends :eyeroll:
And a plethora of insects and spiders, some of the more interesting ones include the preying mantis, the luna moth, and black swallowtail.

Lately there's been a medium sized raptor in my neighborhood that I've been unable to photograph or identify.

Used to see a ton of little brown bats until they all died from white nose syndrome :(

Fishing in my area I've caught:
Yellow perch
Bluegill sunfish
Pumpkinseed sunfish
Smallmouth bass

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
In my area we have:
Eagles (there's a bald eagle I see flying over my house all the time)
Hawks
Deer
Gators
Seagulls
Sandpipers
Pelicans
Herons
Foxes
Raccoons
Opossums
Ospreys
Turkeys
Coyotes
Snakes. Lots of snakes. (shudder)

Of course there's tons of bugs and smaller birds, but those are the big ones.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I live in the suburbs of Detroit.Suprisingly though,I have seen a beaver in my backyard.We have Hawks all over that live in the woods a couple doors down.We have deer that run through the neighborhood.Squirrels,rabbits,birds,possums.A coyote walked through my neighbors yard right by him.Groundhogs,voles,moles you see.For a while there,there was a fox hanging out at my neighbors car.Snapping turtles from the creek a couple houses away.All kind of things you wouldn't normally see in the city.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I feed a huge flock of birds that include, cardinals, sparrows, pine warbler, goldfinches, red belly woodpecker, brown thrasher, mourning and inca doves, crows, hummingbirds, and juncos. There's also a pair of hawks that nest nearby and I hear owls calling at night and have occasionally seen road runners. Recently two squirrels have started showing up to eat, and I'll also have rabbits show up for the seeds. We also have deer, coyotes, foxes, wolves, armadillos, opossums, skunks, mice, racoons, blue tailed skinks, green anoles, rat snakes preying mantis, walking sticks, an assortment of other insects, spiders, and reptiles. I think it's a mole that's tunneling in my yard but I can't prove it.
You have wolves??? I'm in Texas and I didn't think there were any wolves left in the state since the red wolf was killed out.

I see armadillo, opossum, raccoons, deer, wild turkey, many species of hawks and other birds too numerous to mention. We also have rattlesnakes and many other non venomous snakes. I hear coyotes often and occasionally see them. Bobcats and fox are pretty common but I don't see them often. Wild hogs are common and we have javelina a little south of us.

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
From what I've been told, yeah they're around. I've heard what sounded like one and seen what looked like one crossing the road. The one I heard howling sounded like no dog I've ever heard around here, nor was it the yipping howling that coyotes do, I only heard it that once and haven't heard it since. I know that everyone could be wrong and it could be a dog look and sound alike or a coyote or wolf dog hybrid.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Fox, moose, deer, bears, coyotes, mink, weasels, fischers, all manner of hawks, osprey, occasional bald eagle, several types of owls, ravens, pileated woodpeckers, bobcats, porcupines, skunks, raccoons, very seldom river otters. Thats about it for the big stuff off the top of my head.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sue, you are so luck to see a bald eagle. What about the elusive beaver?

That's a part of NE that I loved, the wild life, except the snakes.:p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts