Dog Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Preferably one who also makes harnesses.)

Got any?

I just contacted AgilityQ and StinkyDog (any experience with them? Quality materials? Good craftsmanship and design?) to inquire about their y-front harnesses that have a front ring, which is what I'm looking for. The back clip will be the main attachment, but I want to have a second leash on the front for emergency turn arounds if Champ has a reactive moment.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I got slip leads and a flyball collar from agilityQ. They are very nice and well made and are easy to slip on and off. The only downside was it took quite awhile to ship - "almost ready to ship" turned into something like two weeks.

That being said, I'd still order from them again - I just wouldn't order if you needed something by a certain time.

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! That is good to hear. I'm in no hurry to get it here; I'd just like to make a decision soon. :)

Did your collars have the quick release buckles? I'm curious about the quality of them--they look flat--are they actually contoured?

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Soooo... really disappointed/annoyed with Canadog. I liked their yellow high viz shorty harness, and since they do custom stuff, inquired if they would put a d-ring at the base of the Y neck in front. I figured, using a main leash on the back would be great for walking (and long line exercise), since it's designed well to be comfortable, ergonomic, and safe, has to be excellent quality and durability since it's made for pulling, yellow would be great for YDP, etc. The front clip was solely for a second leash during walks, in case something unexpected happened and Champ went over threshold with his leash reactivity, so that I could turn him around (which is hard to do from a back clip). Well, after I described my purpose/intent, they just presumed it would "cause discomfort" and "be aversive," and said their store wasn't right for me. Well, that's nice and all, but if I wanted aversive or uncomfortable, I have plenty of options on the market for that. The sole reason I was toying with this idea was so that it would be both comfortable and non-aversive (and safe). I don't see the point in replying to them now, since clearly they have no desire to work with me.

Anyways, does anyone have any other suggestions for custom gear? I'm still waiting to hear back from AgilityQ and StinkyDog who do have these options available.

(I'd also consider buying another "shorty style" harness from another maker and put my own damn d-ring on the front, if anyone knows of any other good ones. :rolleyes: Sigh.)

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I forgot to update this earlier. Ended up ordering a Nordkyn skijor harness. Pics will be linked. It arrived promptly since it wasn't custom. I do like it but quality/craftsmanship could be better. Very functional and comfortable, though. Pics
http://www.dogforum.com/dog-gear-supplies/harness-best-bikejoring-146050/

I also ordered a custon Urban Trail Harness from Alpine Outfitters. Placed the order on June 13. Since it still hadn't shipped by May 31 when I had another idea, I emailed asking them if it was too late to add another d-ring. They said they could. Soooo, emailed them a few days ago asking for an update, no response. I know it hasn't shipped, so I emailed again this morning to find out if they could estimate shipping date. Still no response. :( Original email said that during non peak times (now), customs take 2-3 weeks for delivery. Peak times (not now) take 5-6 weeks. Today was about the 5th week, so needless to say I am getting antsy. I had wanted it for my trips to the coast next week and the following. The quality/craftsmanship looks awesome from the pics I have seen, but I am a tad annoyed with the lack of communication. Anyways, can't wait til it gets here. It should be the perfect all around harness.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
I forgot to update this earlier. Ended up ordering a Nordkyn skijor harness. Pics will be linked. It arrived promptly since it wasn't custom. I do like it but quality/craftsmanship could be better. Very functional and comfortable, though.

I also ordered a custon Urban Trail Harness from Alpine Outfitters. Placed the order on June 13. Since it still hadn't shipped by May 31 when I had another idea, I emailed asking them if it was too late to add another d-ring. They said they could. Soooo, emailed them a few days ago asking for an update, no response. I know it hasn't shipped, so I emailed again this morning to find out if they could estimate shipping date. Still no response. :( Original email said that during non peak times (now), customs take 2-3 weeks for delivery. Peak times (not now) take 5-6 weeks. Today was about the 5th week, so needless to say I am getting antsy. I had wanted it for my trips to the coast next week and the following. The quality/craftsmanship looks awesome from the pics I have seen, but I am a tad annoyed with the lack of communication. Anyways, can't wait til it gets here. It should be the perfect all around harness.
Posted via Mobile Device
Do you mean you originally placed the order on April 13?

I hope you get it soon or at least get a reply! I understand that stuff can happen that'll delay orders but they could at least answer your e-mail and let you know what's going on.

I hope you land Champ love the new harness. I'm still looking to order a different one for Zody, hopefully whatever I decide on works great on him and my harness saga ends.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I guess I'm a bit late to reply to this, but for the future @crock if you see something you really like and need an alteration just take it to an auto upholstery place. The work will generally be better and with a little charm they usually do it cheap using scraps :) Most of my dive gear was custom rebuilt all by autoupholsterers :)

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! I thought of that and had a few places in mind when I was looking at other non-custom harnesses. What I would really likebis a better sewing machine so I can make what I want, how I want, and when I want! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,490 Posts

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Funny enough @crock, I was planning my response to your D-ring issue as I read it :thumbsup: then I got to the updates :D Last bit of advice, take two harnesses on trips and soak the harness in a bucket of water immediately when done to save the color :) All my black scuba gear would turn the ugliest shade of brown within weeks of it's christening :eek:

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I just assumed it was SS, silly me. Everything else I use on the beach has held up great, rinsed or not. (The harnesses I do wash religiously, but their collars, leashes, long lines, and safety straps don't always... all of varying metals.) Is welded nickel-plated die cast less expensive than run-of-the-mill SS?

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What I was thinking. Bummer. They don't seem to scrimp anywhere else but hardware is kinda a biggie.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Ha, funny I read this second. I was seriously contemplating ordering from Canadog a harness before I read your review/approval of the Urban Trail. I'll for sure scratch them off my list... Although I do like the looks of their skijor belt.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
133 Posts
I usually just make my own, then I know I'm getting what I want :D

My big thing is because I walk my chow and pom at the same time I like having a D ring on the main leash, by the handle. Then the secondary leash has snap hooks at each end and is 3x the length as the primary leash and is adjustable because otherwise the chow tends to drag the pom around. I made my own design and ended up making it myself. It worked really well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts