Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

My dog recently started this new behaviour where she runs and then jumps/leaps on me from behind. She did this twice so far and both instances occcurred while I was cooking or preparing food in the kitchen.

When I turn around, her eyes are wide open and she has this very serious look on her face-sort of like she is scolding me lol

What does it mean? Lol

·
Super Moderator
391 Posts
Either that this is a great game, or she wants some of what you are cooking! Honestly, who knows. Maybe for safety it would be a good idea to put a baby gate across the kitchen door.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Can you teach her to not be in the kitchen with you? Either she wants to get to the food or get your attention, anyhow, she shouldn’t be jumping on you. Recently I had two large dogs and they were banned from the kitchen when I was cooking since they could reach up to the counter by just standing and overall just were in the way. So I taught them to be stay behind the doorway/threshold to the kitchen whenever I was cooking. All I did was to send them back behind the doorway if they passed it and then established the command “go away”. They were quick to understand that they weren’t allowed in there and used to lay down in the doorway and wait for me.

So my suggestion is to send her out of the kitchen, I think it helps if you have a clear limit of where she’s allowed and where she’s not. It’s important to be consistent. You could also send her to her bed but I found it better to let them do whatever they want, just not to be in the kitchen.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts