Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if there are any other young dog owners here :)
I'm twenty and it's so hard to find support from other young adults as most of them don't own pets.
Always nice to find people in similar situations and be able to understand each other

·
Registered
135 Posts
There's plenty of younger dog owners on here. I know what you mean, none of my friends own any pets either. I'm 23 and own two little monsters lol.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Hey

Well Im older - 29 currently. But I can sort of relate. I was 26 when I got my dog and also felt very alone in a way as most of my friends at that time were all living the crazy single life without any real responsibilities.

I also got a lot of negativity for my decision from my family who were convinced that I can`t have a normal progressive life with a big dog. "You`re too young, you have to travel a lot, etc etc". They were right in a way - I have to plan a head and Ii can`t just jump on a plane and move to another country/travel as easily. But all is possible and I honestly feel that Ella has done nothing but made my life better.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I'm 20(21 in December!) as we'll and I totally get what you're saying. Fortunately thanks to being involved in dog sport since I was 15/16 I've met wonderful people in the dog sport world and have a group of friends my age who are as into dogs as I am!

Unfortunately outside of my dog savvy friends everyone else thinks I'm to young and don't know what I'm talking about(who asked them to ask me for advice if they aren't even willing to listen to what I have to say) and I've been talked down to etc because obviously they're older then me and know way more than I do...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's so nice to hear from you guys!
Just knowing that there are other people out there just makes you feel so much safer in your decision
I have to admit sometimes I get panicked when I think about her and my future
But as I said it makes it so much harder when you can't relate to the people around you anymore
If you ever have anything you feel you can't discuss with people around you or just wanna talk dog issues with someone who's in the same boat never hesitate to message me :)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
19 here! Might be one of the youngest active members haha :)

At one point I was working two jobs with an Aussie pup and next year I'll be working and going to school while trying to keep up with both dog bills and house rent so yes! Very tough at times.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Hey

Well Im older - 29 currently. But I can sort of relate. I was 26 when I got my dog and also felt very alone in a way as most of my friends at that time were all living the crazy single life without any real responsibilities.

I also got a lot of negativity for my decision from my family who were convinced that I can`t have a normal progressive life with a big dog. "You`re too young, you have to travel a lot, etc etc". They were right in a way - I have to plan a head and Ii can`t just jump on a plane and move to another country/travel as easily. But all is possible and I honestly feel that Ella has done nothing but made my life better.
I feel this way as well, I actually didn't tell most of my family because whenever I brought it up it induced negative response. So annoying. I've done a fine job with Cosmo thanks very much! My old best friends mom used to be particularly "you have no idea how expensive owning a dog is you can't do that!" About me wanting one. Haha who's laughing now!

·
Registered
871 Posts
I'm turning 25 on Saturday and I will also be getting my first dog that I will have on my own. I've had a few family dogs that were 'mine'. Yet I still relied on parents for vet payments and gear. This will be the first time of owning my own and being financially responsible.

Yet before now I have taken care of my horse all on my own when I was 19 for four years then he had to be retired. My father had property and offered to take care of him as I couldn't afford any retirement facility. ($600+ a month!!!).

None of my friends have any pets other than rats, so its sad, but I'm in the animal work field, it only makes sense to have one of my own! haha

·
Registered
185 Posts
I got Bennie (my first non-family dog) last year when I had recently turned 20. Most people are surprised that I have my own dog living with me in my apartment, because I'm also a grad school student, but I wouldn't have it any other way!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I just turned 20 in July, I got my dog when I was 16, started frequenting forums when I was 17/18. This place is very welcoming of younger dog owners, but a breed specific forum I was a part of years ago was so nasty and disrespectful of my opinions was they knew my age omg.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm 19, I have miss Asha, she is owned by my parents but I am the one who exercises her and trains her.

Reactions: cos

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I'm 25. I hear all of you with the negativity. Everyone around me is getting married and having children and here I am living life with my fur baby.

·
Registered
547 Posts
great question! :)
I'm 29 (almost 30). I have four sons and a nearly 60 pound puppy.

There were times when I wasn't sure what to do, but research really helps. The people here on dog forum are helpful with anything dog related. Thanks to links that people here shared with me, I've been able to train my dog all sorts of good behaviors and fun tricks.

·
Registered
298 Posts
It looks like I may be the youngest here.. but that's okay. I'm 17, and yes I am paying all the dog bills. I haven't actually noticed that there are not many young people owning dogs but once I think about it I see that that is correct.

I really don't care though. Chester is like a service dog to me. I have lyme disease and he has really helped me out mentally and physically. Most people my age don't understand that at all.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I guess I'm lucky, every friend I have has at least one dog. I'm 25 and have 3. When me and my friends get together it's a dog zoo haha. I do get people not understanding though. I've had people give me funny looks for having so many dogs, but they've always been one of my top priorities. I got my first dog at 15, and paid all her bills. I've added two over the years and don't regret it at all.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I'm 22 and I have one tiny dog. I can't really blame young people for not having dogs around here. In my area there are no jobs and no one my age has money (unless they're college kids with rich parents- those ones are the obnoxious, irresponsible dog owners).

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I got my first dog (Summer) when I was 21? (ish?) I was in college at any rate. :p

Then I got Mia my senior year of college. And Hank when I was 27 after I had bought a house.

So I'm pretty young with 3 dogs!

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Well I guess I am a littler older now, but I'm 27 with a full time job and 2 dogs. I got my personal first dog when I was 18, fresh on my own. It was a horrible idea but I made it work (made a TON of bad decisions). I was lucky enough that when I was younger I had a lot of friends that also had dogs, so when we would party we would just bring the dogs with us. Having a dog young is not east, but a person can do it if that's what they really want.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm 25 and have 3 dogs. I haven't experience any negative feedback from people regarding my age. I was never much of a traveler to begin with so it doesn't impact my life in that way. I still work and go to school full time with no issues.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I just turned 20 in July, I got my dog when I was 16, started frequenting forums when I was 17/18. This place is very welcoming of younger dog owners, but a breed specific forum I was a part of years ago was so nasty and disrespectful of my opinions was they knew my age omg.
I got this so bad on a uk based forum! There were so many mean people who used my age against me so many times, telling me I didn't know what I was talking about because I was still young and I'd be wiser when I was older. Some members even posted things like "bull****" on my threads, one particularly when I mentioned getting my dog xrayed and they didn't believe me? They said it was hilarious and ridiculous and even after I posted xrays I requested from my vet some still stayed and argued I was lying about him not being put under sedation. Some people who realized I wasn't lying left after the nasty comments without so much as an apology.

I also had people on that forum refer to members they found annoying as "the new (insert my username here)". I had one girl particularly fight me on several things including the xrays and dumb things like the time I purchased a backpack when I accidentally slipped up and said "got a backpack for Cosmo" when I meant getting one (even though at the point in the argument I had one and posted a picture of it) and told me to stop changing my story and lying to people. Loooooool needless to say I deleted that account.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts