Dog Forum banner

51981 - 51990 of 51990 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
How has everyone been? It's been a long while since I've been on here. My husband and I have been focusing on competing with Phantom and Captain, and I'm super lucky to get some amazing photos from him when he tags along. Other than that I've been chugging along between work and doctor appointments. It's been so much fun.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
How has everyone been? It's been a long while since I've been on here. My husband and I have been focusing on competing with Phantom and Captain, and I'm super lucky to get some amazing photos from him when he tags along. Other than that I've been chugging along between work and doctor appointments. It's been so much fun.
I just started posting again around a month ago. Mostly I work on Zody's fear reactivity, work on teaching him some new commands, and do my crafts.

It's awesome that you compete with Phantom and Captain, they are gorgeous dogs with amazing temperaments. I couldn't do that with Zody even if he was pure breed, his temperament just isn't right for it.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
I get to enroll in the grooming academy! I have to pay half the cost upfront. Luckily, I didn't touch my tax returns and have almost all the money needed. The rest has to be paid in full within ten weeks of starting class, so I will likely be trying to get a loan for that. It also includes $1,100 worth of supplies. I have waited to do this for years. I'm so excited!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I get to enroll in the grooming academy! I have to pay half the cost upfront. Luckily, I didn't touch my tax returns and have almost all the money needed. The rest has to be paid in full within ten weeks of starting class, so I will likely be trying to get a loan for that. It also includes $1,100 worth of supplies. I have waited to do this for years. I'm so excited!
Congrats!! I'm excited for you!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Congrats! That's so exciting!!

I was supposed to visit a friend in Florida at the end of April - she was staying there for two months while her husband did an optometry internship. But his program closed down so they came back to Kansas. Couldn't get a refund on my flight, only credit, so I'm hoping that this whole virus thing is gone by fall and I can just fly somewhere else for a vacation.

Until then, I'm working from home and trying to be fiscally responsible...but I think I'm going to sign up for a Fenzi nosework class to do with Chisum.

·
Registered
600 Posts
a complete...say anything, talk about anything...off topic thread....so if you have random stuff you want to talk about...how your day was...you name it...put it here.

Iam stuck at work...been crapped on by a water monitor...and dealt with a wierd guy from idaho already...oh and I accidently gave out my cell number and then started yelling at the kid when he called it because I thought it was a prank...:eek:

so whats up with you all today?
This is an old thread that I would like to wake up. The OP posted 10 years ago so this thread can serve as bit of a time capsule. I hope to add a new chapter to this.

At the moment, everyone's attention is focused on the Corona pandemic, which, in some countries, has been given various other names due to the political needs of their politicians. I will not call them their "leaders" because holding a particular office does not necessarily mean you are a "leader"... alas that is also one of the realities of 2020.

For perpetuity, the virus is formally known as Covid-19. I hope that people posting 10 years from now have "heard about it", but not more than that. Right now a lot of people are about to die. If the models are correct then this virus will kill more people in absolute numbers than any other pandemic in human history by the time we are done.

In relative terms it's bad but not that bad, but this is only because the population of the world is much higher now than it was in the middle ages. That said, everyone is worried. The economy will enter a recession because of it and it will influence everything from divorce rates to birth rates to rates of child abuse and many many other social effects that may permanently change how we think about things like travel, immigration, social contact norms and business.

Right now we are in the middle of a fire storm, so "getting through it" is the main mode. People aren't thinking about the implications yet. The focus is still on "numbers of respirators" and "numbers of beds".

Someone reading this 10 years from now must also understand that our health care workers are the front line defense against this virus. They have been revered by most, but also abused by those who are panicking for their lives and pushed beyond the limits ... WELL beyond the limits ... of what should be expected of them.

In some ways it seems like a war and our health care workers are our soldiers. They put themselves in harms way, not because they want to, but because (to use a Star Trek analogy) "the good of the many outweigh the good of the few". 10 years from now we might not remember as well what they did when the "bomb" went off, but they are... EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM ... heroes.

Maybe that is something positive that will come from Covid-19 in the long run. The "archetype hero" of Hollywood is the lone "strong man" and the "soldier on the battlefield". Maybe this epidemic will change that. Maybe the "archetype hero" will now include "those who care for others".....

Maybe this virus will help us become less warlike and more compassionate, if even to a small degree.

I sincerely hope so.

51981 - 51990 of 51990 Posts