Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This a post for people whose dogs live outside. You people don't know the joy of having a dog or dogs as part of your family ( pack). You don't get to watch how comfortable they fit into your family. You will never know the closeness of their love, affection, close companionship and also the security. That is a great joy to people that have their dogs live in their house with them. Yes, you do have to clean up after them. sometimes there is an accident or as with puppies you have a lot of clean up until they are housebroken. Yes, you have the cleanup of hair and sometimes dirt from them. But the joy that they give us, all the time, makes up for that. You don't get to see the cute things they do as they are playing with their toys or other companion dogs or other family members. Dogs that are left outside all of the time are lonely and most of the time bored. But even those dogs can have unconditional love for the humans that leave them outside all of the time. If you were left outside away from everybody, could you have unconditional love for those people. I doubt it. You just don't know what you ae missing. My dogs come to me at least 100 times a day,wanting me to talk to them. Or they want a pat or to be petted or hugged . If I leave the room they follow me. Yes, sometimes they can get in the way, especially if you are trying to get work done. But they are with me, not outside by themselves lonely, or bored. They are in our home (their home ) with us. Not outside in the cold, rain, snow or heat. I wouldn't have it any other way. You say you have the right to leave your dogs outside all the time, that is your choice. Dogs have rights to. They have the right to be kept safe and warm and cool when it is hot. They have a right to be part of a family (pack ). That is the way they are supposed to live. You will never know what you are missing as long as your dogs are living outside.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Totally agree, I never got those people either, I mean, why even get a dog if you don't want his/her companionship? leaving a dog outside (other than flock guardian I guess) is just wrong. If you want security, hire the services of security company, it'll be cheaper, want garden ornament? get a dog shaped statue, it's cheaper.
Would you leave your baby outside all alone? I didn't think so, so why leave a dog? they need just as much attention, and they're living beings as well, they have rights.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
UnDeadknight1,I completely agree with you too. I know I might have more time to spend with my dogs. But even when I was working and had children at home, I still treated my 4 legged kids the same as I always have, a family member. And they have always lived with us in our homes. And when we moved, and we have moved around a lot in our lives, they always moved with us. We wouldn't leave them, just as we wouldn't get rid of our children. Those people are missing out on one of the best things in life, loyal, affectionate, friends and companions with unconditional love living with them. And security to me is having a dog/dogs in our house with us. We have had 2 instances recently that proved that to us. Our dogs saved lives.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Holding down armed burglars, attacking gangsters which tried to attack me, jumping through the window breaking the glass to defend my mom from a dog that attacked her (although it would've been nice if he used the doggy door, since he got some nasty cuts from the glass) just to name a few.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Holding down armed burglars, attacking gangsters which tried to attack me, jumping through the window breaking the glass to defend my mom from a dog that attacked her (although it would've been nice if he used the doggy door, since he got some nasty cuts from the glass) just to name a few.
My dog barks at the door, then attacks people with slobbery kisses.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We adopted a mixed breed male dog, comanche, from a shelter a year ago. A few months ago we were woke up at 2:00 oclock in the morning to him barking and running back and forth to our kitchen. We got up to see what he was barking at. He was barking at our propane cook stove. We checked it out and found the knob to the oven had been turned on just enough to let propane escape into the room. The oven didn't come on. We don't know how long it had been on, because earlier that evening we had the kitchen window open until we went to bed at 12:00. We could smell the propane as we went into the kitchen after he woke us up. We opened the window and turned on a the ceiling fan for the rest of the night. If he hadn't woke us up, it could have been a disaster for us and our other dogs. Then a month after that our German Shepherd, Dakota, was under my computer table where she lays while I'm on the computer. All of a sudden she jumped up and and acted anxious. She whined and ran to the back door. Then I heard some loud noises. Like someone pounding on something. Our son lives on the back of our 1 acre. The pounding noise came from the back . We went running over to our son's house. We saw a strange pickup, backed up in our son's driveway. We yelled at the people in the pickup. Then a man with a gun came running out of our son's house and jumped in the bed of the pu. They sped off. We ran into our son's house and found him and his girlfriend laying on the floor with pillows on their heads. If Dakota hadn't alerted us to something going on we don't think we would have saved their lives. The police said that after we yelled at the men in the pu, the man in the house probably got scared he was going to be left. So he left fast. The police said the man would have probably shot them if he hadn't been scared of that. So the police and us feel Dakota saved our son and his girlfriend's life. So we still feel that having our dogs in our house as family are security.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Wow, that must've been scary experience for you :eek:

@Rubyred: That's cause they're not a threat, if the dog believes that someone is a threat, they will attack, or at least try to stop them.

I gotta say, I feel much safer walking with my dog at night than walking alone.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Undeadknight1,That was the scariest experience we have ever been through. Our son and his girlfriend are having panic attacks due to the home invasion. And we are still paranoid.The men were looking for drugs. The police think they got the wrong place, like so many home invasions. The police did say that our son should have had one of our dogs at his house or have one of his own. What does that show you. Our son does have a dog now. They found a female Pit Bull abandoned out here in the desert. When she saw their car, she started running after it. They stopped. And when they got out and walked over to her, she laid on her back and wanted a belly rub. His girlfriend has never had a dog. So they decided to keep her. They named her Valentine, after the day that they found her. She is a good watch dog and companion. She is a nanny dog to her grandaughter. She lives in the house with them. The reason I posted about dogs that live outside, is because if I could get at least one person to change their minds about making their dogs live outside or on chains outside or in kennels. I would be very happy. There is a new group starting up. It is called Mothers Against Chained Dogs. A chained dog attacked the son of the woman that is starting this group.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Our three small dogs and our German Shepherd, Cole, are all inside dogs. We don't even let the three little ones go outside by themselves. Halks in our area like the taste of doggy meat, so we have to keep a close eye on our precious pups.

My sister and I tend to walk our dogs after dark and Cole works very well as a guard dog. People keep a very safe distance away from us while we are walking our dogs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I grew up on a farm with outside dogs. My parents never had an inside dog until we got a cocker spaniel when i was in HS. I totally disagree about people not being close to the dogs because they lived outside. Being farm animals, our dogs DID spend a lot of time with us, because we were constantly outside working. They would sleep in the barn most of the time, but in the winter they had 24/7 access to our garage, which was heated. Our oldest, gypsy, who passed away two years ago at the age of 17, was a stray that wondered onto our property when she was about a year old. She lived outside dog her whole life and was an excellent companion and watchdog. She especially loved going for rides in the truck and the tractor. TBH, I wouldn't even think about getting a large dog unless i had the acreage to be able to let him out whenever he wanted, for as long as he wanted.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't grow up on a farm but I have been around farms a lot. Some of my family had farms. Most farm dogs are for the use of the farmer and its family. And those dogs will work for the farmers with unconditional love. Most of them are not part of the farm family to be loved and be companions. They are treated as a farm worker. The farm dogs I have been around didn't get much loving attention, except a pat on the head or praised for the work they did for the farmer. Also a lot of the farmers let their dogs and cats breed all of the time. They are one of the causes for the overpopulation of cats and dogs. Most farm dogs and cats do have shelter from the weather. But I know a lot of farmers did not feed their dogs on a regular basis. They expected the dogs to hunt for most of their food. Leftovers were fed to chickens and other farm animals. So what I have seen or been around, farm cats and dogs exist for the use of the farmer. Sometimes farm kids do get attached to the cats or dogs. But those cats or dogs were not allowed to live in the house to be companion animals. And guard dogs are treated the same way except some are chained or confined on a property or building. They become agressive and territorial because they are bored and not stimulated . And most only have minimal contact with humans. That is why they keep intruders out. To me that is a terrible existance. CATS AND DOGS DESERVE BETTER. They shoud be loved and be companions and part of a family. Not treated like they don't exist until a human decides to give them a little attention and go outside and play with them. Or use them for work and then keep them from a loving family relationship. Dee

·
Registered
321 Posts
Wow, that must've been scary experience for you :eek:

@Rubyred: That's cause they're not a threat, if the dog believes that someone is a threat, they will attack, or at least try to stop them.

I gotta say, I feel much safer walking with my dog at night than walking alone.
That's probably why...we've never had anyone threatening to us, just people she doesn't know. :)

I also feel much safer walking in the daylight with my dog, not just at night. You never know what kind of people are out there. 0_o

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
i dont know..i dont think its fair to say people who have outdoor dogs dont love them as much, or dont want them as part of the family. I grew up with outdoor dogs...granted they came inside for a bit each day but maily grew up outdoors once they reached a descent age (obviously not 8 week old puppies). They were always part of the family and have always been super healthy (all have lived to very old ages). I think farm dogs are some of the most happiest dogs I have seen I mean I hear and see a lot of people on here comparing their dogs immune systems and food preferences to that of a wild dog...well they live 100% outdoors in the heat and cold... so to me you cant compare the feeding of your dog to a wild one and not accept that other peoples companions are allowed to live like their wild ancestors.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
When I wrote this post, I just meant that they miss a lot in their lives when their dogs live outside. I know how much we enjoy in life, with our dogs ,living in our house. And what good companions they are to us and the security they give us. And if people feed their dogs a diet that wild animals would eat, it is that they think that is a better diet to keep their dogs healthy,compared to manufactured food. Letting dogs live like their wild ancestors is not a good thing in these modern times. We have an overpopulation of dogs because of people thinking their dogs need to roam like wild animals. We live in different times now. And we are killing too many dogs every day because of people that think their dogs should live like they used to. And your definition of a companion is not the same as mine.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I wouldn't compare domesticated dogs with their wild ancestors, for starters wild dogs' coats are designed so they can withstand heat/cold (depending where they are originally from), while domesticated dogs aren't always in their original area, leave a Husky outside when you live in a hot place, and he'll burn to death, not to mention that many other dogs have coats that can't stand intense heat and cold.

Another thing, dogs are social living beings, you can't just expect your dog to live outside all alone, and just play with them when you want to, and then back to isolation, they're living beings, not robots or toys you can use whenever you want, being alone in a yard is nothing like the wild. Farm animals have the other animals as companions, so they're happy, but what about all those dogs left alone in someone's yard? how would you feel if you were left alone all the time? (and yes, I know dogs are different, they need companionship way more than we do).

Another thing, people should never EVER leave dogs roaming around the neighborhood alone, cynophobia is quite common, and one should respect that, and keep their dogs away from them.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
When I wrote this post, I just meant that they miss a lot in their lives when their dogs live outside. I know how much we enjoy in life, with our dogs ,living in our house. And what good companions they are to us and the security they give us. And if people feed their dogs a diet that wild animals would eat, it is that they think that is a better diet to keep their dogs healthy,compared to manufactured food. Letting dogs live like their wild ancestors is not a good thing in these modern times. We have an overpopulation of dogs because of people thinking their dogs need to roam like wild animals. We live in different times now. And we are killing too many dogs every day because of people that think their dogs should live like they used to. And your definition of a companion is not the same as mine.
well again my parents dogs eat manufactured food and live past the typical breeds lifespan... they are very healthy. Also Im sorry I didnt mean run wild...they have a huge enclosed yard...

I wouldn't compare domesticated dogs with their wild ancestors, for starters wild dogs' coats are designed so they can withstand heat/cold (depending where they are originally from), while domesticated dogs aren't always in their original area, leave a Husky outside when you live in a hot place, and he'll burn to death, not to mention that many other dogs have coats that can't stand intense heat and cold.

Another thing, dogs are social living beings, you can't just expect your dog to live outside all alone, and just play with them when you want to, and then back to isolation, they're living beings, not robots or toys you can use whenever you want, being alone in a yard is nothing like the wild. Farm animals have the other animals as companions, so they're happy, but what about all those dogs left alone in someone's yard? how would you feel if you were left alone all the time? (and yes, I know dogs are different, they need companionship way more than we do).

Another thing, people should never EVER leave dogs roaming around the neighborhood alone, cynophobia is quite common, and one should respect that, and keep their dogs away from them.
I find your comments to be rude... you jumped to conclusions and decided to insult me on how you believe I raised my dogs... first off they werent roaming neighborhoods. second they werent treated as robots... third there was never just one dog, we always had companions for them...fourth your comment about coats is not necesarily true...see dogs with thick coats can live in warm areas, their coats act as a circulation devise to help keep them cool....I dont think all dogs can handle heat or extreme cold weather... but I also know that shade and water are all a dog needs to help keep cool... so next time ask before you start throwing accusations on how we treat our pets. Remember everybody...people are different and raised different you raise your children different and your dogs different. dont be so quick to judge.,...rude.....

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Animals running wild does not create overpopulation problems if the dogs are altered.:) (just saying) its not the act of running amuck that gets dogs knocked up. its irresponsible people owning unaltered dogs and allowing them to breed. This can happen with indoor dogs too.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.