Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom's Yorkshire has moved to my place 6 month ago. He was not well trained. He barks every time we stand up from couch or chair and every time we enter the room. He also bark in car when the car stops. The barking is crazy and there is no way to stop it. He is 5 yrs old now. Do you please have any idea how to solve it? Thank you.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don't have personal experience with this, but I've heard the key to excessive barking is teaching the dog to speak (bark) on command. When you teach him to speak, you also teach him to not-speak on command (hush or quiet) at the same time.

So when your Yorkie is barking in the car, you can use your not-speak command, and he'll remember it from training and hush up,

You can find a bunch of "train your dog to speak" sites if you Google it. It seems counter-intuitive, but I understand that it works!

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
If he is barking when you move around the house, it sounds likely that he is a bit fear-aggressive.
Is he timid at times? Does he ever growl or nip?

Reactions: pawsnose

·
Registered
507 Posts
When you stand up, have a tiny sliver of a treat with you. The instant the dog barks, give him the treat and say, "hushhh". Walk away. Do this every time. At some point you should notice he is looking for you to dispense a treat. Tell him "hushhh", then give him the treat. You want to work up to him barking once and stopping. Yorkies are yappy and you will never get him to stop barking altogether, but he can be trained to bark less.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts