Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting a Yorkie at some point in the future and they are honestly a breed I know very little about so if anyone can tell me some info about that that would be wonderful.

·
Registered
19 Posts
To start, they do need training. Even though they are small they still need to have all the same training that a larger dog gets. I have worked with a lot of small dogs that have no training and its not easy. They tend to have dental problems so you will have to be willing to get their teeth cleaned at least every 2 years. You'll have to make sure they dont jump off something to high like a bed, they could hurt themselves leading you to $2K plus vet bill.

Thats about all I know. I am sure that someone else has more info.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi Kala and welcome to the dog forum! I think it's very terrific of you and responsable (sp) to research this breed before you get one. There are a number if sites that can give you the info you need to figure out if a yorkie will be the dog breed for you. The AKC site and the one I like is: Dog Breed Info Center®, DBI
This site can give you clear and easy to understand basic breed info. Also, contact reputable breeders as well. They can help you decide if this breed is the right choice for you. If you do decide to get a yorkie, also look into rescue groups. A rescue group is also a good source of info.
I hope this helps you out a little bit and please keep us posted if and when you get one! Best of luck to you!
Cheers,
Georgie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Kala and welcome to the dog forum! I think it's very terrific of you and responsable (sp) to research this breed before you get one. There are a number if sites that can give you the info you need to figure out if a yorkie will be the dog breed for you. The AKC site and the one I like is: Dog Breed Info Center®, DBI
This site can give you clear and easy to understand basic breed info. Also, contact reputable breeders as well. They can help you decide if this breed is the right choice for you. If you do decide to get a yorkie, also look into rescue groups. A rescue group is also a good source of info.
I hope this helps you out a little bit and please keep us posted if and when you get one! Best of luck to you!
Cheers,
Georgie
Thanks I will certainly take a look into that I kind of thought that that Yorkies may take a bit of training but really I think any good should have training so that they will be will behaved. As far as the hight thing I think could always look at getting one of those doggie steps for smaller dogs.
how well do Yorkies get along with other dogs? the reason I ask is am curious to look at getting a Corgi as well, probably if I did do this I would try to get both near the same time and near the same age so that they could get used to each other quickly I have heard that kind of thing helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Yorkie and I LOVE him. He is smart, gorgeous, loving, easy to take care of, housebroken, mellow, and never destroys things. He did have to f=get his teeth cleaned last week, he is four and that was the first time. Yorkies are fantastic dogs, and people who make fun of them for being small are basically jerks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
yorkies are great little guys - before you buy ask your breeder if they were give acid bile tests? If not make having one done a condition of the purchase - they tend to have liver issues [this causes the peridontal disease] It can often be controlled with diet [VERY low protein] but in most cases requires surgery if they have a shunt.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you decide on getting a Yorkie, be sure to buy it from a reputable breeder. All of the Yorkies I've seen were almost impossible to housebreak. Ones that came from some breeders, those breeders NEVER let them outside! So the pups went potty in the house and when they were outside all they did was play!

A lot of puppy millers breed Yorkies. So be careful where you buy one! Here is another website for you to check out:
Yorkshire Terrier club of America
Scroll down towards the bottom of the page and be sure to check out the FAQ page too. You can also click on their Rescue tab.

You must be very consistent in your training. Take the pup to obedience classes! (No matter what breed you get.)

Anyhoo, I would never get a Yorkie and a Corgie! Corgie's are a herding breed and can really hurt a little dog. If you want two dogs, stick with dogs that are simular in size.

Look up all you can for health on any breed you decide on. Also be aware of all health issues, shedding, non shedding, grooming requirements, etc.

Yorkie's are cute little dogs, but I've seen plenty that had to be put down because of temperament problems because the owners spoiled them rotten and they became very aggressive towards people and other animals.

Yorkie's are very Terrier like. (Hence the name Yorkshire Terrier!) They are usually good with other dogs.

I have friends that breed and show their Yorkies. Their dogs never have to have their teeth cleaned and they do all the health checks. They feed their dogs a totally raw diet. They have great teeth and gums right up into old age. (One dog is 15 and she has all her pearly white teeth and is very healthy!)

Keep the little ones safe and get a dog that is at least close to the same size.

Good luck with your search. Let us know what you end up with! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts