Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My yorkie (Caillou) is a year and eight months. He has always been around a lot of people and around dogs (dog parks & neighbor dogs) and always been super friendly. About 6 weeks ago he started being aggressive towards other dogs and growling at people. What concerns me most is the way he lashes out at dogs. He will not bite but comes very close to it... even dogs that he used to be friendly with. I think it started after he got his boosters for rabies, distemper combo, and bordatella. He got rabies and distemper combo same day and bordatella about 5 days after and 3 days after his bordatella he started a beginners dog training class at Petsmart. That is the first time he ever lashed out at a dog. The dog was a puppy golden retriever who was not being mean. Since then the aggression has continued. He is super loving and sweet with me or people he knows.He is NOT neutered yet but is scheduled to be neutered in about a month. Does anybody know what to do or had a similar experience? Is it the shots, the class, or his unaltered state?:confused:

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I have never let a dog go unneutered that long so I can't say for sure. Neutering helped my dog but we did it at 6 months, not almost 2 years. It could be your dog is settling down and doesn't appreciate the puppy energy of the golden puppy. With small dogs you have to make sure they feel safe because they are at a huge size disadvantage & when they are around big dogs that play rough they will start getting nippy..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input. I realize now that I should have neutered him a long time ago. I wish my vet would have recommended it when he was younger. He is my first dog and now that I changed vet, I realize how important it is to neuter him. I think that him being small and not neutered are both factors playing into his behavior, but I find it really strange that his aggression literally appeared from one day to the next. About a week prior to getting his shots he was in Texas and he was friendly to big and small dogs, very confident, and good with even strangers. After the shots he became a completely different dog.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My husband and I and the dog go home (Texas) about 4 times a year for about two weeks each time. During those times he goes with me almost everywhere and when he doesn't he stays with my mom...who he adores...He travels with us everywhere (new york, south dakota,ski trips,) He has never reacted negatively to any previous trips.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Your Yorkie reaching sexual maturity (although a lil' bit late but not much) could have something to do with this. It's good that you're getting him neutered.

He also could have issues with younger dogs, like my little dog. But you said he's also acting aggressively towards dogs he's already familiar with. Hmm. Is that the only negative interaction he's had with another dog before? Are you sure it wasn't it a fearful experience with the Golden puppy? Is this only an on-leash thing?

The fact that this started happening immediately following his shots is definitely odd, and I've never had those experiences, but maybe another member here has? Maybe you should do some research on it, see if anything comes up.

Mentioned this to your vet when you get him neutered, or give them a call sooner, and tell them about this happening right after his shots were administered. Make sure he administers blood tests to check for any issues he may be having medically. Hopefully neutering him will help, but you should also read through the stickies here on DF in the behavior and training sections. The leash reactivity sticky would be a good read for you.

Also, look up KikoPup's Youtube channel. She has some amazing videos that will help you tons! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.