Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, we just got a 3 month old Yorkie puppy and immediately began crate training when we brought him home. We have one crate in our bedroom with his bed in it and he sleeps in at night and have had no problem with. He does not cry or anything. We have another crate downstairs for during the day for when we cannot supervise him. So he's been doing really well with peeing outside but the problem is pooping. The first day, he pooped right outside his crate. We said No and immediately took him outside again. Second day through today (3 days) he has pooped in his cage on his blanket. I was told and read over and over again that they will NOT poop in their "den". Yesterday and today, I had him out, he didn't go, then brought him into his crate and he pooped within 3 minutes. Why is this happening? What am I doing wrong? Please help!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello,

Puppies will poop in their dens. In the wild, the mother cleans this up by eating it (one reason dogs eat their own feces).

Is this just one part of the den, or just random places?

Keep an eye on it, don't punish for defecating, and the pup should learn where it's supposed to poop.

If you do not do this already, feed him a bit earlier and take him for a walk a couple hours before bed. Dogs often defecate after eating, and exercise will stimulate this.

Just make sure he has a cool down period of at least two hours before bed.

Josh

·
Super Moderator
11,910 Posts
How big is your puppy's crate???
If it is too big that could explain what is going on...

Also, how are you house training? Are you offering a reward each time your pup goes potty outside?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts