Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My roommate adopted a yorkie from a described animal hoarder who had several other yorkies. He was apparantly "trained" and even used a dog door.... HES A UNTRAINED NIGHTMARE.

I'm searching for advice as my roommate seems to have a more emotional response to the behavior and coddles him endlessly. Hes strapped in a diaper almost always at this point, as it seems he has 0 boundaries as to where he chooses to pee. His favorite was first her other wonderful dogs bed. The poor thing rarely had her bed as it was soaked in urine anytime the yorkie was left unsupervised. I even witnessed him lift his leg on her keepsake chest, I scolded him in shock, but that was when I realized clearly he just wasn't trained to do these acts right in front of me! At one point he even peed on her bed, which was the "final straw". Which only meant intense supervision, a playpen he tantrums in, and increased diaper time.

I'm watching him for a few weeks and I'm curious if I could get the ball rolling on proper attempts to housebreak him. He is neutered, about 8-10 years old, and medical issues have been ruled out.

I've only ever trained puppies and I'm wondering if you would do the same methods for an adult dog who's become very ingrained in this "pee wherever you want ritual". If anyone has had success in a situation like this, I'm dying to hear what you did!

I apologise if this was posted in a wrong area as well.. I haven't used this forum before and well.. forums in general for well over a decade.

·
Super Moderator
437 Posts
You certainly can try training him, it will take longer because he has to unlearn a bad habit as well as learn a good one.

Toilet training happens when two things come together - the ABILITY to hold the toilet, along with the DESIRE to hold it in order to earn the reward for doing so. Medical issues have been ruled out but if he isn't accustomed to having to hold, he will still have to learn to develop control of his muscles - at the moment he has never had to do that.

Ideally you want him to not be in a position where he needs to toilet before you have him outdoors, so that every toilet is outside. So set him up to succeed by taking him out even more than he needs; for example every hour and always after sleeping, eating, playing. So your aim is to have him outside before he can't help himself. When he toilets outdoors make a huge fuss (never mind the neighbours, act like outdoor toileting is the best thing you have ever seen) and reward him with a high value treat. Use something really fabulous, this is a time to be generous. Do that immediately, don't make him come to you for the treat so he is clear that it's for toileting and not for coming to you. The idea is that he wants to earn the treat enough to hold the toilet until he is outside - once he is physically able to control his toileting obviously. As he is actually performing the toilet you can introduce words he can associate with it (like 'do weewee' and 'busy busy') that later when he is reliably trained you can use these to tell him when you want him to toilet.

If you take him out and he doesn't toilet after five minutes, bring him in but don't take your eyes off him. Any hint of a toilet inside, scoop him up and get him out fast. If he doesn't try to toilet indoors (great!) take him out a second time and repeat until you do get outside toilets. You need the outside toilet to happen SO that you can reward SO that he learns.

But if he has an accident inside don't react at all. If you get annoyed he may learn to fear your reaction and avoid you if he needs to toilet - the opposite of what you want. Dogs cant make the distinction between you being annoyed at him TOILETING, as opposed to toileting INDOORS. Take a rolled up newspaper and hit yourself over the head for not having taken him outside in time. Not when he is there though in case you scare him. Then clean the area with an enzymatic cleaner to remove any trace of smell that might attract him back to the spot.

Indoors if you see him circling or scratching the floor, that can sometimes precede toileting so get him out fast.

Overnight he may be able to control his toilet as his little bladder and bowel are accustomed to having to hold all night so you may need set your alarm to take him out during the night.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts