Dog Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this in my dog's fur near his backside. I found it on a tissue after my pup looked like he was bothered.

He only had access to my back garden today and I don't think it actually bit him yet, just crawling around maybe?

Could it be a tick?

20210718_165818.png
20210718_165735.jpg

I couldn't squish it and just trapped it in a shot glass.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
X2 for a beetle, and some beetles have a nasty bite.
This is the second time I found a random beetle on this pup! I do think it might have bitten him, he was licking at his backside earlier and complaining a bit (but he's a big baby 😜). He seems to have stopped that now fortunately.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have seen some that live in the water. We called them paddle bugs, since they would paddle up to us while we were swimming and then bite! :eek:
Wicked things.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have seen some that live in the water. We called them paddle bugs, since they would paddle up to us while we were swimming and then bite! :eek:
Wicked things.
I think I know those bugs you speak about. We have a lot of lakes and small bodies of water around. We just called them water bugs and they glide on the water's surface. The fish love to eat them. I had never been bitten by one though. That would just add to the things I dislike about swimming in the lake.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Definitely not a tick. Looks a bit like what I have heard called "kissing bug". If so, they have a nasty bite but don't carry Lyme.
That's good to know tx Madra 😊
He seems to have recovered from the irritation, I gently scratched around the area with no reaction.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Unfortunately, I have long and intimate experience with ticks.
I can tell you stuff about them from my own experience, but the best thing is, of course, not to get any.

One thing people may not know is that once a tick has fed, it drops off and then it lays thousands of eggs wherever it is. If that is in your house, you have a problem. Those tiny eggs can be anywhere and when they hatch the almost microscopic baby ticks can stay hidden for months or even years with no food. Then they will come out and latch onto your dog. They are extremely hard to kill en masse. Believe me, I know!

Once I found ticks in my own bedding. I pulled the sheets, shook them out violently, picked them over as best I could (and they were shite sheets), washed them in the hottest water with bleach, and dried them for a long time in a very hot dryer. When I pulled them out they had live ticks on them. This is just one example. I kind of felt as if I were in a horror movie.

If you see a tick on your dog outside, don't let the dog into the house until you have searched every single centimeter of the dog's body and removed them all. One tick in your house leads to tens of thousands.

A "tick and flea" bath or "dip" will not kill all the ticks on a dog, because they can be hidden in places where the bath doesn't get to them, even when you soak the dog and scrub. They can also be resistant to the chemicals in the treatment..
Again---- the voice of experience here. So a trip to the groomer for a dip won't take care of the entire problem, you still have to go over the dog with paranoid caution. Even then, you might miss one or more.

I had a wonderful foster dog who came to me fully bathed and "dipped", but she brought ticks into my home anyway. I had a massive three-year battle with them, and they were still with me through two house moves. Not on my dogs, because I made sure of that, but most likely in my furniture. These days if I see a tick anywhere near my dogs I tend to treat it almost like plutonium.

If a stray dog comes along who has ticks, I won't even let them onto my property. I arrange for someone to come and get the dog, whereas normally I would take the dog in temporarily.

I don't even live in a tick-prone area. In the years since I finally got rid of them, I have only seen one tick. That foster dog came from elsewhere, but I don't know where.

I didn't want heavy chemicals in my house, but I tried literally every natural thing I could find out about and ultimately found the only way to get rid of them was to spray nasty chemical stuff all through my house, moving all of the furniture and lifting carpets, going to every corner and baseboard, twice a day for about three weeks. the length of time was in order to get any new hatchlings. It worked, but was nasty. And you cannot use that stuff at all if you have a cat. It can even kill some houseplants.

But rest assured....when I am made Head Of The Universe, ticks will be the very first thing to go!!;)

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow that's really good to know thank you!!! But now I'm even more terrified of finding ticks! Just kidding, at least I have some knowledge now to prevent a real problem. Gah I feel really bad for you dealing with that for so long, it must have horrible 😓. One year my dogs got fleas and that was bad enough, but ticks sound even more disastrous. I also used the chemicals back then and I'm pretty sure it was the chems that caused my reaction, I never want to have to use them again.

Currently I am reluctantly preventatively treating Ozzy during the summer months with and oral tablet under vet recommendation for my area since apparently ticks on are the rise here.

I would vote to make you Queen of the Universe! Really what good are ticks?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Don't worry definitely not a tick. Seems to be some sort of beetle.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh man I gotta stop now....I'm sending myself into meltdown deep in the rabbit hole :eek:

On the other hand, we found 2 more weevils, one on Ozzy's beard! So I looked up weevils and they are a major garden pest, wiping out crops overnight 😟. More of a nursery garden issue and not the average gardener, but I have never seen them before until now and my dog seems to find them. Not too happy about their arrival either......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts