Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this forum and hope to get some help with my 5 month old ShihPoo's (her name is Beajou) sudden change to aggressive behaviour and serious biting. Even her Vet whom she loves and has been going to since she was 8 weeks old could not clip her nails the other day. They even put on a small muzzle, however Beajou would not stop growling and biting. I am having her first groom in a couple of days and I am afraid she will not allow them to start or even complete the groom.

After walking for an hour, playing with her dog buddies for about an hour and a half and then a cool down walk when we get home she starts barking at me and biting ferociously at my hand.

This is new behaviour and I have tried at least 10 video training methods but to no avail. Her bloodwork is perfect and it has always been just her and I at home. No changes in anything that I can think of to cause these new and sudden outbursts.

Any suggestions graciously appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that! That does sound odd.

You said she went to the vet. Did they check for injuries? Has she been spayed (hormones are crazy things)? Were there changes in the house-hold (new people coming, old people leaving, a new pet, ect?)

Small dogs can reach a certain age where they get snippy. However, it usually progresses slowly and you can train them out of it with corrections and a firm but not harsh "no", ect. If she is snapping when she is going to be handled, it could be an injury and she is afraid of getting hurt when picked up, grabbed, petted, ect. I've seen dogs with this before. Dogs that are having issues hearing, seeing, or that feel weak also may act aggressively.

I hope she feels better soon. Don't give up on her yet, teen dogs can be trouble-makers, so keep trying!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts