Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coco has had a dry cracked nose for the past 2 years. I assumed it was just climate, but it's still here and it looks like it's yellowing. Should I be concerned, to note, he has a vet appointment in 3 weeks, is this something that I need to have addressed immediately.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Definitely the vet is a good idea, in case it is something that needs medical treatment.

One of my dogs has had a very dry nose the entire time I have known him, and the vet couldn't find anything medically wrong. I have treated it by putting a high quality lip balm with a high wax content (so it stays on longer) on his nose a few times a day. That has helped a great deal, although it has not cured it and if I forget to put the lip balm on it goes dry again. I have also sparingly used something that is designed to be put on calluses on the feet, and put lip balm on top of that. That softens his nose, but again nothing I have tried so far (and I have tried a lot of things) has cured it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I know they make paw pad and nose butter for dogs, so enough of a common issue. I like to use coconut oil, and lip balm seems like a good sealer/topper. See if you can at least send a pic to the vet. I imagine the yellowing is old dead tissue, but that's just a guess. Best to check with the vet.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I shall post a photo when I get home from work.

I looked it up after a couple times of putting vaseline on his nose and saw that I shouldn't do that.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Did you see the reason for not using vaseline? Was it Vaseline in particular? Just because Vaseline is petroleum, not exactly a healthy moisturizer. Coconut oil has antibacterial properties. I think the concern with Vaseline is it's toxic when ingested.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Coconut oil, while healthy, is often not a good solution because many dogs really love the taste and will lick it all off rapidly. I didn't find anything among the nose butter kinds of things that helped at all. the only thing that heals it is the callus softening cream. And I put the lip balm on top to hold it there. After two days of putting it on at night, the old cracked layer started peeling off and the nose underneath was soft. Now I keep the lip balm on it as much as possible and if it starts getting dry again I put the callus cream on again at night. The callus cream is called O'Keefe's Healthy Feet, and I use the lib balm made by the same company,. A very tiny bit goes a long way on a dog's nose. The lip balm covers it up and by the time the dog has licked off the balm, the cream has been absorbed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you see the reason for not using vaseline? Was it Vaseline in particular? Just because Vaseline is petroleum, not exactly a healthy moisturizer. Coconut oil has antibacterial properties. I think the concern with Vaseline is it's toxic when ingested.
Yeah, It said something about fragrances and the fact it contains petroleum in general

Anyways, here's a pic of his nose

20210501_184319.jpg

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We managed to get him in early because somebody canceled their appointment. we mentioned it to the vet, and the vet is not concerned? Is it time to seek a new vet?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Is finding a different/new vet an option to you? Vets are not taking any new clients/ patients for the last year or so here. Sorry your vet isn't helping. If it's possible to see another vet, by all means do so. At least the vet doesn't think it's anything too serious, but it would be nice to have an answer and treatment method. I wish you and your pup the best.

·
Registered
687 Posts
We managed to get him in early because somebody canceled their appointment. we mentioned it to the vet, and the vet is not concerned? Is it time to seek a new vet?
While I absolutely agree that you need to see another vet for a second opinion, I just want to tell you my experience with that. Two vets did not know why my dog's nose was like that, and had no good suggestions. After trying at least a dozen different things to heal it, I decided to use that cream I mention above, and I now have it under control. Just saying that if the vets cannot help, all is not lost, and you may be able to manage it on your own as I have. In my case it requires diligence - it is not healed permanently. But I can keep it normal.
If a vet does tell you something useful, I would really like to hear about it, so please let us know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts