Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm going to apologise now for how gross this post is!
So I have an 8month old jack russell and have recently noticed whilst he's been lead on his back a small amount of yellow discharge at the end of his penis. I have read that a small amount of this is normal and I should only be concerned if he is excessively licking it which he isn't, or if it smells badly, which it doesn't! It doesn't seem inflamed or sore but I have never noticed this on any other dogs that have been in my care so I'm just asking for your opinions/if you have had similar experiences
Thank you

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have always had male dogs and each one experienced this while they were puppies. I'm not sure what causes it, but each one eventually resolved on their own without treatment. They didn't lick the area, or seem to be in pain, and they used the restroom normally. Just keep an eye on it and clean the area gently with an unscented baby wipe, or even just a tissue, so that the discharge doesn't get all over the place. It's pretty gross, but in my experience, time should help clear it up. If things start to get worse and he starts paying attention to the area, or if anything changes (appetite, water intake, etc.), I would take him to the vet to make sure it's not a serious infection.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts