Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to share what happened with my 12 year old golden retriever, Amber, so that maybe this could help someone who is also searching for a solution. A couple years ago she started to 'fall apart', she had the typical smelly yeast thing going, bloody stools, lethargy, and bloody sores covered her body. I took her to the vet and he referred me to a woman in Eugene, (OR) who specialized in this stuff with animals. We immediately took her off all gluten products and she began to eat Orijen or similar types of high quality food with no gluten. It took about three to six months but her stools came to normal, her stink began to fade along with the sores and she became puppyish again. But this wasn't the end! There was always this straggling residue of yeasty itchy sores that wouldn't leave and finally I had another long discussion with our vet and I had no idea but beef is a major allergen too!!! I had started mixing a little organic beef fat with her gluten free food. Apparently not only was the beef fat triggering her, but the pain pill she has for her hips was beef flavored and the pill she took for fleas had beef in it. We promptly took her off all beef and changed her flea med to advantage and pain pill to the non beef flavor. All sores went away and the stink and itches disappeared completely! She can still have chicken and pork. She was so old, one would wonder why after all these years she would suddenly have these symptoms! Apparently her tolerance held strong until her aging process kicked in and she began to suffer with symptoms. I do recall when she would chew on a beef bone she'd have explosive diarrea. I never connected the two, I believed it to be bones but it was beef. Anyway, if anyone is searching for a solution, it takes 3-6 months to see real total healing, but gluten free along with a close watch on beef may save your dog!

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Interesting! Thanks for sharing, and welcome to Dogforum. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts