Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a toy rat terrier. He is nine years old.

He was chewing up his paws and legs for a while. The vet did a scrape on him and concluded it was a type of fungus he got from our backyard.

My dog always goes in our fenced backyard. That’s where he does his business obviously. We don't have any roses or types of flowers in the yard. It's just all grass with some clovers. I don't know how long that fungus has been growing in our yard. Must have been for a while if my poor baby has been suffering with this for months. Vet said it can get really bad when the fungus mixes with the dew because their paws absorb that.

I have tried the Clutter fungus spray for my yard but it didn't seem to help.

I don't know what else to try to treat my yard. I want that fungus gone.:mad:

Anyone have any suggestions? What treatment should I be using for my yard?? How do I get rid of it for good?! :confused:

I'm am treating my dog by the way with a fungus shampoo the vet gave me but it's only going to help so much if the fungus keeps growing in our yard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, not yet. I figured that would be my next move. But I was thinking I would try to fix it myself before spending money on the experts. But I'm thinking I don't have a choice now. The fungus seems to be out of hand.

The vet said a bed of roses is likely to cause that. But like I said there isn't a single flower in our yard. My theory was that maybe it is our neighbor. He has his garden right against our fence and feeds it mulch. I also read that mulch can cause fungus...

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
you can buy a little foot soak or make one with a jar. Change the water out daily and mix a little vinegar in there to kill the fungus. If you give your pup 1 tsp of coconut oil (extra virgin, cold pressed) in his food per 10 lbs of body weight daily, then it helps with antifungal properties.

I think your best bet is to dunk his feet when he comes in from outside.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts