Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I board my horse at a woman's private farm for a cheap price in exchange for grooming and handling her breeding stock. Aside from her horses she also has 4 mastiffs.. 2 live in the house and are well socialized and friendly, the other 2 are the most aggressive dogs I have seen anywhere besides TV. They live in runs beside the barn to "protect the property". It's a bit of a strange set up because I know she got them all as puppies from the same place and has somehow encouraged/allowed the 2 females to become incredibly aggressive.

Everytime I have seen a stranger come to the barn, they lunge up against their runs and snarl. I have no doubt that they would attack indiscriminately unless the person was part of a small group that they know. I always have to tell the woman exactly when I will be there so that she can put the dogs away in their kennels. She has told me that if I ever get here and they are out that I cannot get out of my car or they will attack me and I cannot open the gate to her farm or they will run out and could kill someone's child or dog (exact words). I have asked multiple times for her to facilitate an introduction so that the dogs know I am an accepted person, and would be safe and even potentially control the dogs if they did get out. She has said no because she does not want the liability (not sure I get that logic). I am on the property approx 10 hours a week, and have been going out there for about 8 months. The dogs don't bark at me anymore even though I have not been allowed to interact with them.

So, yesterday the woman texts me to ask about the board check and when I will be dropping it off. I respond saying "I'll be there mid morning and will put it (somewhere idk)". When I get there at 10, I drive up the the gate and see her 2 aggressive mastiffs come tearing down the yard. I get back in my truck and once they see it is me they stop and simply one around with some barking. I call the woman and her sister picks up, saying she will get the dogs and put them in the feed room so I can drop off the check. I drive up to the barn and see that the dogs are out of sight, but the sister's hand is bleeding. Aperently one of the dogs has bitten her while she tried to get them to go in the feed room. Then she lays in to me about how I need to tell them exactly when I will be there and "morning" isn't good enough and she didn't know I would be there.. And here's the best part: I had to leave because it wasn't fair to the dogs that they were put away right after they were let out to play. What?!?! I didn't insist on checking on my pony and figured the rude behavior was out of pain from the bite.

Well, tonight in FB I see that the woman (main barn owner) has posted this long tribute to her two "guard dogs". It was an inaccurate discription of the event (they saw a stranger and went to protect the farm but responded immediately to their recall and returned to their kennels), along with "we tell everybody not to show up without letting us know" and "they ignored their instinct to protect our farm to obey instructions" and "my girls and my sister handled the situation so perfectly".

Honestly, I feel so incredibly disrespected in this situation. At the very least, I expected an apology for the fact that their dog's almost mauled me as a result of their owner's irresponsibility. I don't think it is responsible to own dogs that are so indescriminently aggressive and are accidents waiting to happen, only curbed by the fact that they are kept on a fully fenced property. I also think it is ridiculously rude to post something like she did when I clearly would have seen it. I am not sure how to go forward with the situation but I am pretty angry about it right now.

·
Registered
290 Posts
That's incredibly disrespectful and irresponsible. If it was anybody else who was bitten... What if, for whatever reason, those dogs were able to get to your horse? Hell no. I would get out of there ASAP. I've been in bad barn situations, and it's not worth the hassle with people like this. Just no.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Wow, that is absolutely terrible. If possible I suggest you find another affordable stable ASAP. This is terrifying and dangerous. I would not trust a woman who keeps dogs like that to board or care for any of my animals. I wouldn't be surprised if these dogs attacked the horses either if given the chance. Having dogs like that is absolutely insane and dangerous. If the owner herself admits her dogs would kill people indiscriminately, that's bordering criminal negligence. God forbid they forget the pizza guy is coming or some Jehovah's Witnesses stop by.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We're moving to FL in 4-6 weeks so I'll be gone soon. It's dissapointing because I have gotten along really well with this woman and she has actually supported me through some tough stuff with my pony who is recovering from a bad injury.

I believe the dogs are fine around horses. I see pictures of them around the other ones all the time, it's really people and other dogs that they are aggressive towards which leads me to believe that they have somehow been conditioned to act this way.

Honestly, I see her side of things considering that it is private property and I think she believes she is allowed to have "guard dogs" and this behavior falls under the protection category. I just wish I had heard an apology and not a glorification of how her animals behaved. It is just so different from my reaction, I am so mortified if my slightly protective puppy even rumbles at stranger.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am appalled by her behavior. My chow mix is highly territorial but I do everything in my power to correct him and make it safe for people. I don't gloat on the fact that he 'defended my apartment' from some stranger... and the fact that they're mastiffs makes it even worse. You try wrestling a 100+ pound dog off you if it attacks... It doesnt work so well. I'd feel bad for anyone if my 56 pound chow mix ever got ahold of them.

Reactions: waski87

·
Registered
884 Posts
While I agree with you, I've been around long enough to know there is no point in trying to change another human's behaviour. Just won't work, so just vent here, as you did, and do your best to get out of that situation. Especially after the FB thing, it is clear that there is nothing you can say or do to change your point of view.
Sorry about that. Hope you find your pony new digs soon.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Unfortunately she offers a service that you need (cheap board) for a little bit longer. I would grin and bare it for the time being, and then once your horse is off that property I would cut ties completely. Sorry you had to go through this. It's a really horrible situation to be in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts