Dog Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I think I got the wrong registration papers for my dog , what would be the next step? My bitch is 2 years old and I never really did a lot of digging until now. She is going to be used for breeding but I need to know for sure. The breeder had 2 litters and by looking at the parents of each litter , I think I have the wrong registration. I can’t get the breeder to contact me. What are the steps after I have her DNA checked with AKC? I believe the sires both have their DNA on file but of course not the dams. Will she get notified that she has to DNA her bitches? If so, will she get notice of who is disputing the parents?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well, this might be more complicated.
If the dams aren't registered, your girl can't be fully registered. I doubt the breeder will have to DNA the females. The registration numbers should suffice. You may have to contact the AKC yourself, but you absolutely will need the breeder's help and signature.
BTW, why do you think you have the wrong papers? The wrong parents? Were you sold a pet quality dog with limited registration? What breed (this might be relevant)?
This all sounds fishy, so I assume you're holding off breeding/ until everything is above board?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, this might be more complicated.
If the dams aren't registered, your girl can't be fully registered. I doubt the breeder will have to DNA the females. The registration numbers should suffice. You may have to contact the AKC yourself, but you absolutely will need the breeder's help and signature.
BTW, why do you think you have the wrong papers? The wrong parents? Were you sold a pet quality dog with limited registration? What breed (this might be relevant)?
This all sounds fishy, so I assume you're holding off breeding/ until everything is above board?
[/QUOTE

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes the dams are registered and yes I have full papers and yes my bitch is health tested. I am asking how the process works should I get my bitch DNA’d to double guess parentage. Yes I am not breeding until this is sorted. We are not all evil.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I personally am not understanding why you think you got the wrong registration. Not that you have to explain this to me, but maybe if people here understood more about the situation and your reasons for questioning it, that might help get answers.

I don't think the AKC would require anyone to have DNA tests, at least I have not heard of this happening. If the breeder will not respond to your inquiries, that is not a good sign.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts