Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started working for a new dog company that seems really cool, and one of the things it does is hold playgroups for dogs that live in an apartment building. They're going to be organized and held by me and another trainer so we'll match the dogs by size/age/play styles and make sure most of the naughty dog park/daycare shenanigans don't occur.

We're going to have a newsletter and I offered to write articles because I like writing. For the first edition, along with the intro of our services and employees I wanted to do a little write up about the benefits of dogs playing together. But I feel like I'm blanking on how to get started! Part of it is my stupid confidence issue but I think it might help just to try and write out the general idea here first. Tell me what you think about the points I'm going to make?

-Dogs are social animals and many enjoy the company of their own kind
-It's a good source of exercise, mental stimulation and fun
-Dogs in apartment buildings/city settings can sometimes develop anxiety or often feel stressed (and the area of these buildings are VERY noisy and stressful, even for me!), and the company of other dogs might help them feel more at ease
-For the new puppies who start out with our company right away it will help them develop proper social skills that can help them develop good manners with other dog and successful dog-dog relationships in the future
-Not all dogs will like playgroups and that's ok, we won't force them to go.
-I'll also add in that our service is better than just dog parks because professionals are monitoring it and not allowing or encouraging bad behavior

Do you think this is ok? Is there anything I should add in or that doesn't sound totally accurate? Thanks!

Do these sound good? Is there

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well, I was having some aggression issues with my dog at daycare and dog parks, and I've switched to trainer supervised dog dates and have seen tremendous improvement. This is my thread about it - the very last post I made on the last page is feedback about the supervised dog dates I've had him in.

http://www.dogforum.com/dog-training-behavior/dog-has-started-showing-aggression-first-284506/

I would add that seeing a trainer or having private training sessions doesn't really teach dogs how to interact with other dogs - it only teaches them how to interact with their owners and people. So having trainers in a dog playgroup, monitoring pay behaviors, is a benefit that you don't get by having a dog go through formal training.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I definitely agree that structured dog play groups with attentive handlers/trainers are much safer than dog parks where anyone can bring in any dog and many owners don't pay attention or don't intervene when their dogs are behaving inappropriately!

I've seen more fights at dog parks in my few times going than I have in my 5 years of working at dog daycares.

Are you going to screen or test the dogs at all beforehand so you can make the groups?

Otherwise I think you covered everything important!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you going to screen or test the dogs at all beforehand so you can make the groups?
Yes, definitely. Many of the dogs are signed up for regular walks as well so we're getting to know them beforehand. We've seen even in just meeting some that certain dogs are more rowdy, quiet, etc. We will probably also test them off leash together before we let it get crazy. Also a number of the dogs have met some others or even been walked with them already and we know they get along. It's nice because we even have a few puppies so we can have a puppy group! :)

Thanks! I'm feeling better about what I came up with now.

·
Registered
712 Posts
-For the new puppies who start out with our company right away it will help them develop proper social skills that can help them develop good manners with other dog and successful dog-dog relationships in the future
^^YES TO THIS 110%!!!!!!! When I first got my pup, she was a terror to my older dog. Even when he would growl and bare his teeth, she would keep pestering him because she thought he wanted to play. It got so bad that I had a friend take care of him for 2-3 months because I could tell he was getting so stressed out.

Once I put her in obedience classes and daycare (at the same facility), she started learning proper social skills so when I brought my older guy back home, she learned to keep her distance from him and hardly pesters him now!

Also, I like how your playgroups are supervised. I have visited so many dog daycares where the staff aren't even in the same room as the dogs. They just monitor them in another room with surveillance cameras!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts