Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 great entire male American Bulldogs the new one is older 1 1/2 and the one I have had since a pup in 6 months old, the puppy is biting/ mouthing at the cheek of the other dog and has opened a wound and it's getting worse as its not getting time to heal,

I am looking for a way to stop the biting and to help the wound heal
Is there perhaps a ointment the tastes repulsive?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Keep then separated until the wound heals. Dogs are not usually bothered much by nasty tasting stuff when they're motivated to play. Your older dog deserves a break from the puppy. Teach a positive interrupter so in the future you can stop the mouthy behavior. Kikopup has a video.

·
Registered
900 Posts
As Grabby has already suggested, basically the only way to correct this is to keep the pup from grabbing hold of the other dog's face to let it heal. I like to keep a loose leash attached to puppies so I can gently redirect away from something I don't want them doing, then reward. I also like to teach the "play gentle" command. Works great for many everyday things.

·
Registered
59 Posts
There is a bitter spray that I have used to deter my dogs and cat from licking at wounds, with some success. That is, some of them really hate it and will stay away. And simultaneously, I have a couple of dogs who weren't troubled by it at all. Worth a try, perhaps, but no guarantees! The problem with your situation, of course, is that you have to spray it on the wounded dog's face, which means that dog will inevitably have to taste the awful taste, even though it's the other dog who is doing the licking!

http://www.amazon.ca/s/?ie=UTF8&key...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_9pg2oif0b2_b

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
There is a bitter spray that I have used to deter my dogs and cat from licking at wounds, with some success. That is, some of them really hate it and will stay away. And simultaneously, I have a couple of dogs who weren't troubled by it at all. Worth a try, perhaps, but no guarantees! The problem with your situation, of course, is that you have to spray it on the wounded dog's face, which means that dog will inevitably have to taste the awful taste, even though it's the other dog who is doing the licking!

http://www.amazon.ca/s/?ie=UTF8&key...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_9pg2oif0b2_b

Yikes! Spraying this on the wounded dog's face sounds like punishing the innocent victim. Please don't do this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts