Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to start this off with this:

I have been seeing an error in my ways prior to this and this incident has just solidified that Raider unfortunately needs to stay on leash until his recall is fixed. Again :(

Short version:
If you own an unaltered female who is in her heat cycle, do you still bring her to dog parks/out in public?

I ask because I own an unaltered male, who until recently, was allowed to be off leash when we went for our family walks on Sundays. This Sunday (which I had stated I didn't want to bring Raider due to a few issues that have been bothering me in regards to his training) my husband persuaded me to let him loose and to "stop micro managing him" and in the time I let my guard down for a moment to tell my 4 year old to catch up...he took off. And for the first time EVER actually tried to mount a dog. And we have met a lot of different dogs off leash. He ignored every command i threw at him, which he has always had an awesome "leave it" due to the on going training with our cats. I was so embarrassed and pissed and annoyed and sick and sore that I didn't even apologize and stormed away with my dog with which I absolutely regret but it is what it is. As I was storming away the only logical explanation I could come up with was the dog was in heat and i got a little prickly about that as if I owned an unaltered female she would never go anywhere during her cycle. There where two dogs there and Raider picked the one to try and have his way with and ignored the other dog trying to attack him...which is not typical.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Ha, no. I've taken unaltered females to the lake, but there's rarely anyone there so I wouldn't call it "public".

It's just asking for trouble. The female is at risk, male dogs could fight, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I certainly wouldn't. It might not seem fair, but a female in heat causes all sorts of issues. Other females might attack her, and males may fight over her.

A man brought his female to the park a week or so ago, and she was just finishing her heat. Well, Levi would not leave her alone, and for the first time in his life, he mounted another dog (he was neutered at 6 months). I don't tolerate humping, so he was told "off" and he did comply, but when he mounted her again, we left. I don't need him practising bad habits.

Thankfully, Levi was the only male in the dog park, otherwise there could have been some issues.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I've never had a female dog--not that I've tried to avoid that; it's just that when I've been looking for a dog, the best available dog for my particular situation has turned out to be a male--but it seems to me that common sense would dictate that you not take a female in heat to a place where she might be likely to run into an unaltered male. Isn't that exactly the situation that might result in a litter of unplanned puppies? Who wants that?

The closest I've come to such a situation is when I had a dog who had been neutered years ago at a friend's house. He had played often with her dogs, including her puppy, who had not yet been spayed. Suddenly, he wouldn't leave her alone, so I asked if she could be going into heat--and then we left. Sure enough, she showed obvious signs of her first heat a day or so later. Not long after that, she was spayed, and my dog never showed that kind of interest in her again.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I have females one had an OSS (ovary sparing spay ) and the other is in tact.

Since both will still go onto heat even when an OSS prevents pregnancy, we don't go to off leash areas during their heats.

We go on leashed walks in public areas where offleash dogs are not allowed.

That way they stay near me when a illegal off leash male tries to hump. (Happens often) and I prevent the tie with either a boot or a cane.

·
Registered
876 Posts
...If I had a bitch in heat she wouldn't be leaving my YARD never mind going to a park or dog park! I can't guarantee I can fend of the amorous advances of someone else's dog, or several of them. I can provide all exercise needs in our rather large yard, it'll just take more personal effort than going for a walk would.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Cosmo is fixed and he was fixed before he began heat or anything but nooooo way would I ever trust him anywhere public if he was still unaltered. Males will do anything to get to a female in heat when they are. Not a chance!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Both of my girls were spayed before their first heats (quick summary of reasons, the first girl I didn't know any better and took the vets advice, the second was because she had a double umbilical hernia which was causing some problems and we live in the country so fencing isn't dog proof and my neighbours have 2 entire male mastiffs and the other has an entire male pitbull).
However, even though I haven't had to deal with a bitch in heat myself, I would be in two minds about it. 1, I'd rather stay at home and in theory, guarantee she wouldn't get pregnant but also 2. She needs exercise and there is more risk her getting pregnant around home than there would be if I took her to a leashed dog walk. It's one of these things where I would be strategic about where I go, either to areas I know very well (people who go to parks etc around me seem to have a schedule which I have learnt due to one of my girls not being great with other dogs) or to areas which are on leash only.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
If I (or anyone with common sense) had an intact female then no, I would not bring her to a dog park when she was in heat. In my current living situation I would have to walk her in public though since I don't have a yard.

Sadly not everyone has common sense and dealing with them is a part of being a dog owner. Dealing with your dog's hormones is a part of owning an intact male as well. Running off and humping a dog is your problem as well since you can't control the other owner's decision to keep their bitch intact or bring her in public but it's also your decision to have your dog intact, off leash, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts