Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all fellow dog lovers!
I am seriously considering getting a Newfoundland puppy. I am trying to find a great breeder that I know will give me a puppy with a good temperament. However, I own a Pomeranian. She is my little buddy! She loves other dogs and playing, but I want an honest opinion on whether a Newfoundland would be too much for her. Since I know that they are laid back and trainable, I feel I could train the Newfoundland (with the help of a professional) to be gentle with her. Has anyone had experience in this before? Thanks for all responses!

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
it can work but you've got to make sure to set boundaries and train both dogs well.
A newfoundland, without even wanting to hurt it, can hurt a small dog by crushing into them with their bodyweight.
there'll always be the rest risk of "Murphy's Law" even if the dog is trained and very gentle.

personally I wouldn't want that and would get dogs that are a bit more similiar on bodysize. bu perhaps that's just my personal paranoia. ;)

what is it,that you like about the newfi, so much that you want to own one?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Sure it's possible, you just need to be very vigilante in the beginning and very consistent with teaching the puppy to play gentle, no resource guarding, calm down quickly, etc. I had a small dog, about 15lbs (not quite as small as a Pomeranian) and more than one large/giant dogs all in the same household with no problems. I made sure to teach them to watch where they're going. I had a friend visit a while back when Dallas was still alive (he was 170lbs) and she was in awe on how he and the other dogs would literally hop over the little dog when they were excited in saying hello to her (as the little one was not very good at staying out from under foot but the dogs were conscious of where he was). I'm not saying there's no risk, but it's very possible to have varying sizes on dogs as long as you put the time into teaching them to be careful with one another.

·
Registered
572 Posts
It could work but I wouldn't recommend a puppy. They tend to not understand just how big they are and have pretty much zero coordination or brakes for at least a year.

My very calm newfie put holes in the walls, took out a large cemented down patio and took out a solid wood fence before she even turned 10 months. All by pure accident and "Manna Smash!"

A calmer adult would be more aware of their own size.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 10 month old Newfie who is learning to live with a 5 month old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. He is 115 pounds and she is 8 pounds. Samson, the Newf, is amazingly gentle with Delilah, but they still require constant supervision. After about a month, he is finally learning not to trample her in the yard..
I say do it if you are prepared to devote a lot of time training the Newfoundland to be gentle...but that should be done anyhow. You would probably have an easier time with a Newfie pup and adult Pom.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 10 month old Newfie who is learning to live with a 5 month old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. He is 115 pounds and she is 8 pounds. Samson, the Newf, is amazingly gentle with Delilah, but they still require constant supervision. After about a month, he is finally learning not to trample her in the yard..
I say do it if you are prepared to devote a lot of time training the Newfoundland to be gentle...but that should be done anyhow. You would probably have an easier time with a Newfie pup and adult Pom.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Not quite the same, but I have a basset hound who's 12 now, he's about 47lbs and got a great dane puppy. She is pretty gentle, but when she gets gets going the boys cluster around me. IMO it's doable with some work, gates and crates will be your friend.

Reactions: kjw319
1 - 7 of 7 Posts