Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted my dog from our no kill shelter 3 years ago. I was already fed up a couple months in to ownership. I assumed it would just pass. 3 years later, and I still feel the same way. I would probably be considered a pretty decent human being to most, but I worry about this dog way too much. (That's what everyone tells me) I take her to the vet for the smallest things, I noticed she scratched herself a couple times in a day, and I went into a full blown panic attack. AMD raced to the vet. I live I'm a high humidity climate. If I see the smallest trace of mold in my home, than i will go on a rampage, and try in get rid of it, because if i dont than i fear she will get sick, and die. The stress I've been experiencing these past 3 years is ridiculous, I cant even imagine how I would be with children. I'm only 25, and people tell me I look 35-40. I adopted her because I was going through what I thought was my worse depressive episode in my life, but how I feel now dwarfs that. I just dont know what I was thinking when I adopted her. I know shes feeding off my negative energy. And chances are shes miserable too.i feel like I desperately need to rehome her. I've thought about returning her to the shelter. But there is no way I could do that.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Please seek mental healthcare ASAP. You are not ok; you are suffering from extreme chronic anxiety AT LEAST and when the dog is gone there will be something else to panic over, I know from experience. While a psychologist and psychiatrist working together as a team would be ideal, that can be extremely expensive. Your regular doctor can prescribe antidepressants (typically low doses help depression and high doses help both depression and anxiety, as a general idea), and you need to get SOME KIND OF HELP before this kills you. You said you look 40: your body is destroying itself in a constant state of panic. I HAVE BEEN THERE! I stayed there for years and I’m STILL struggling with my physical health because of the hormonal damage done by years of untreated mental health conditions.

Usually when people want to rehome their dogs it’s because the dog is a problem, but you didn’t mention a single behavior issue the dog has; you listed a bunch of symptoms. You are in trouble me friend, and you need help. Parting with your dog might be part of your healing process but I doubt it, and it will likely just lead to more symptoms as you feel guilt and fear over that choice. Regardless you will soon fill the void and return to your panic just over something new. This won’t treat the cause of your suffering. GET. HELP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. You should try a natural suplement that works for anxiety. There are a couple that i have used. L-theanine for anxiety when needed. Gaba and melatonin before bed to help sleep. These are safe natural otc suplements. For the gaba i would recommend starting with a half dose. Of course you should seek medical attention. But if you cant afford it then you might find this will help you. I am not a doctor. Just someone with a lot of experince who cares.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi. I understand how these things work as I have experienced them. Since it sounds like the dog is not a problem, I will suggest some things. I am not a doctor. First it might be a good idea to have at least a physical and get some lab work. You may have either a deficiency or too much of something. You can go to either a PA or an APRN. They work with doctors, but may be a little less expensive. Then when the labwork comes back you may feel better knowing if it’s xyz or not x, but z, etc... Then do some self care. Set your dog’s schedule around your needs, if you can. Barring the first and last out for the pee and poop. Dogs are pretty adaptable. Make sure you eat your three meals, drink water, take some short walks. Do things that help you, not just the dog. There are homeopathic supplements which may help the anxiety. One of the ones I use a lot is called CALMS. There is a stronger one called Calms Forte. I use these depending on what’s going on. And I have given the Calms to the dog, under my vet’s care, with good results and no side effects. I started low, used a pill splitter to split the pill into four quarters and started with a quarter.Try to work on your self care. This may be all you need to do. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts