Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dog is 15 and semi blind and deaf, she also has hip problems she was just Diagnosed with diabetes’s. The vet said I can treat her with insulin injections twice a day. Which I don’t feel comfortable with. I feel it would be kinder to put my dog down but my vet hasn’t suggested that. Am I wrong in thinking this way?

·
Registered
522 Posts
We had a cat, and he had kidney failure, and we had to give him fluids every 3 days and it was extremely stressful for him... after a couple months I just said enough is enough.

But it depends on your dog... will the injections make her life miserable or not? It doesn't have to be a big deal, but if she's fighting them, then yes, it's probably not worth it to make the rest of her life more stressful. As long as she's not in pain though, I probably wouldn't put her down either (I have no idea what diabetes does to dogs).

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
As long as there is a reasonable 'quality of life', I would keep her going. The key question you must truthfully answer is, am I keeping her alive for me or for her? Your answer to that question will be your guide to your action.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I agree quality of life is more important than quantity. If she still seems to enjoy life than yes give the injections. Insulin needles are very small compared to the needles used to give sub q fluids. The amount is smaller too. If her quality of life is not good, she is in a lot of pain from her hip problems or she seems "lost" all the time giving her the freedom from her pain would be the kindest most loving gift. It is one of the hardest decision to make as they cannot tell us how they feel. I see loving pet parents at least once daily have to make this tough decision where I work. In the end you will make the right choice because you live with her every day and will know the signs. I wish you peace my friend in whatever decision you choose.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts