Dog Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Our family don't know whether it is the right decision to get a dog. We have decided that if we were to, we would get a Schnoodle or something similar. However, we don't know whether we could take care of it due to holidays and work. Firstly, if we were to get it we would get it at the beginning of a summer holidays and not go on holiday that year, but would it be ok in the following years to leave it in a kennel for max 10 days?

And also, I work from 9 in the morning till 1 and my husband works all day, would we still be able to cope with it?
We are writing this because we have 2 kids (10-Girl,14-Boy) who know a lot about dogs and have been researching a lot.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
And also, I work from 9 in the morning till 1 and my husband works all day, would we still be able to cope with it?
We are writing this because we have 2 kids (10-Girl,14-Boy) who know a lot about dogs and have been researching a lot.
Yes,it sounds like a dog would be a great addition to your family. Many people take summer trips and take their dogs but many leave them in a kennel or some find a place like I used to run that take them into their homes. Your kids sound like they are grown enough to help exercise and keep the pup entertained. I would go for it. Going to the shelter would be a great idea.

·
Registered
951 Posts
The older a pup gets the longer it can go on it's own. Young pups just don't have very big bladders nor much control. It sounds like you would be gone from home 4 or 5 hours. As soon as the pup is a few months old, that's plenty of time to have him be on his own in his pen/cage/or den. Before that, if you get the dog at summer holiday your kids will be home to care for him and let him out for potty time etc.

Some people do go away for holiday for a few weeks and will put the dog in a boarding kennel. I'd not let having a dog keep you from taking a holiday, nor should a holiday keep you from having a dog. However, the best option would be a holiday that the dog can accompany you on

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes!

I definitely think a dog would be right for you. :)
I've known people to leave their dogs at a Kennel for up to a month - so 10 days is fine, especially if you get an outgoing and social dog. I also think it is really great for you to be considering spending the whole summer with him/her. I think you will be a perfect dog owner!
Good luck! :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
I think you sound like you're in a good place for a dog.

I would be wary on kennels. You really never know what goes on. Some can be okay, but others literally keep the dogs in a crate the entire time. There's even one around here that will charge $50 more if you bring your own food for your dog because, and I quote the owner, "it slows me down." And he feeds all the boarders some bullhockey like Beneful.

Actual reviews, an actual tour of the place, get as much information as you can beforehand. I would only ever leave my dog in the care of a cage-free place like the one we run. The only time we break out the crates is when we have dogs who literally can't sleep without it or if we have food problems and they have to be separated at meal times for everyone's safety, or if a dog is simply way too destructive (I'm talking literally tearing carpet up off the floors, destroying door frames, etc.)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yes, I would avoid boarding your dog in any but the best kennels. I've always taken my dogs with me on vacations, but if I absolutely had to leave my dogs, I'd look for a pet sitter who would take my dogs into their home.

Regarding whether or not you would be able to cope with a dog, I'd say, yes, your current situation would be fine for a dog as long as you're committed to it. To me, suitability for dog-ownership is not about a person's circumstances as much as it is about their commitment. In other words, if you're sure that you want a dog and you're ready to do anything you can to give it a good home, I'd tell you to go for it. If, on the other hand, you like the idea of getting a dog, but you're not sure that you want the inconvenience of caring for it, I'd advise you to wait awhile. I say that because I've come to the conclusion that a dog can feel like a best friend or a terrible burden depending on the owner. Based on your message, I can't tell if you really want a dog but just aren't sure if you can give it a good home, or if you think you might want a dog if it isn't too much work.

I've never once regretted having any of my dogs, and one of my sisters feels the same about her dogs. But ask my mom, and she'll tell you that she never wanted any of the dogs that we had. To her, they were all burdens. We girls were the ones who fed, bathed, trained, and cared for our dogs, and none of that felt like work. But my mom didn't like the shedding, the barking, or the overly-excited greetings when we came home.

It's all a matter of perspective I guess. If your children have been researching dogs, then I'm guessing that they have asked you for a dog, and that is why you are considering it. At their ages, they could very well take care of the dog almost exclusively if they're up for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts