Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I have an 11 wk old teacup yorkiepoo. I've had him for 3 wks. He was a little constipated so as per the vet I gave him some pumpkin. He seemed to be better but now he is having trouble with some sticking to his bum. He tries to get off himself but this time I had to clean him off a little when we came in. Also, earlier I saw something on his bum so when I got it off, it was milky white, thin and short. I.called our emergency vet (we have bad roads due to weather) and she said it could be a worm but can't diagnose over phone. He hasn't eaten anything today except some pumpkin. He acts like he feels ok but I'm not sure. Help!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I looked this up online and am almost positive he has tapeworms. He had fleas when I bought him so I think that's how he got the worms. I just worry bc he can't see the vet until Monday. I'm gonna check my contract to see if I can make the breeder pay for this.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
@Susan Mann I'm sorry to hear you have a sick puppy! If it is absolutely unsafe for you to get him to the vet sooner than Monday, then definitely hold off.
Here are a few questions:
1. Is he drinking water normally still?
2. Do you have any chicken (or ground beef) and rice in the house? If you do, I would boil the chicken in water and cook the rice in the leftover water. That might be more enticing to him for now and it will be gentle on his stomach until you can treat the tapeworm.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is drinking a little water-not as much as usual. I don't have any chicken but might have some rice. I did get him to eat some beef and beef broth baby food. But if he's not eating tomorrow, I'll have to go out and buy something bc there's not enough baby food left. Should I take him to see the emergency vet tomorrow? He still plays but not as much as usual and is a little shaky sometimes? WORRIED!

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
He's WAY to tiny to go without eating and if I had to guess I'd say he's getting hypoglycemic. You need to get him to eat something to get his blood sugar up, or you need to get him to the vet. If you have to you can rub a bit of honey on his gums, wait 20 or so minutes then try offering him food. Hopefully the honey will raise his blood sugar enough to stimulate his appetite.

Even if you get him to eat I'd still get him to the vet once they are open. If you cannot get him to eat then you need to take him to the e-vet if the regular vet is not open.

In the future please do not buy a teacup puppy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You must not have read all of the posts. First of all, I talked to the e vet this morning. Also, he had eaten baby food beef with beef broth and pumpkin. He has now eaten a good meal of his own food. He had been playing throughout the day.

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
Why would you say that?
Which part?

Hypoglycemic? Because tiny puppies are prone to it if they do not eat enough and unfortunately it makes them nauseated and then they really don't want to eat. The honey works to get the blood sugar up and stops the nausea so the pup wants to eat again.

Vet? I think it's best to err on the side of caution with puppies, they can crash fast. The fact that you've had to worm him twice, he came home with fleas, had diarrhea, and he's been labeled as a teacup yorkie, tells me his breeder most likely was not a good one, and you should make sure that it's just tapeworms that is causing the problems. Given he has diarrhea was he checked for giardia and coccidia?

Advising against getting puppies labeled teacup? No breed standard has teacup sized, whomever breeds them is going against breed standard. Dogs breed that tiny can have health problems one of them being hypoglycemia. Here's a couple of articles on teacup yorkshire terriers About Teacup Yorkies - Pets
What makes a Yorkshire Terrier a Teacup Yorkie - YorkiePassion.com

Hopefully your little guy just has an upset tummy and some tapeworms. Don't worry to much about the tapeworms, they're pretty easy to treat and usually never cause any health problems.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not ignorant on the issues of a teacup. I know about hypoglycemia. Like I have already said, if you read ALL the posts you will see that I said I was taking him to the vet asap. I knew when I bought him that the AKC doesn't recognize a teacup. I also knew the health concerns with a teacup. I could not care less what you or anyone else thinks about it. I have my reasons for buying a teacup. I done need your articles. I have done a lot of research on him.

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
I'm not ignorant on the issues of a teacup. I know about hypoglycemia. Like I have already said, if you read ALL the posts you will see that I said I was taking him to the vet asap. I knew when I bought him that the AKC doesn't recognize a teacup. I also knew the health concerns with a teacup. I could not care less what you or anyone else thinks about it. I have my reasons for buying a teacup. I done need your articles. I have done a lot of research on him.

I wish you luck then.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts