Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed last night while picking up his poop that my boy Rico has worms. :( There were small grainy white things in it that looked like they're moving. He's been eating a little slower over the past week, but we were transitioning all our pups to a different food so I figured it was that. Nope. Luckily, he already has an appointment set for Monday afternoon to get his yearly shots and get microchipped so he's set for when we fly him off the island. I'm pretty sure Roxy has worms too, so they'll alllll have to get treated.

Any suggestions on preventing them in the future? And is there a way to treat the yard to get rid of them? We have a fenced yard, but we don't own it so we can't destroy the grass or anything. Thanks!

·
Registered
368 Posts
The worms you describe are tapeworms, acquired by having flea infestations… so easy to control by controlling fleas. No fleas- no more tapeworms. These are not contagious directly from dog to dog (or dog to anything else)… have to go through a flea's digestive tract first, and then the flea has to be eaten.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
I agree with Izrddr, it sounds like those are tapeworms. To double check if we're correct look for rice like grains where your dog sleeps, they'll be dried up segments of the worms.

Yep, the most common way to get them is by ingesting an infected flea. No fleas, no worms. The only thing you can put in your yard to prevent them is a flea killer.

I prevent them by using a topical flea preventive on my dog (advantage multi) and haven't had a problem with tapeworms since I've used it, BUT he could still get them since it only takes on flea to cause the problem and every now and then I will find a flea on him. To treat the worms you'll need to get a specific wormer, just for tapeworms, from your vet.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips! We looked them over and didn't see any fleas, but I know that doesn't mean much. I'd washed their beds a few days ago before I realized about the worms, so I couldn't check, but I'm sure the vet will have some idea. I may bring a sample with me just in case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts