Dog Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a walk where I found worms in Brody's poop! My dogs have never had worms before and I am mortified! I am trying to determine what kind they are. they looked like tiny maggots? I am fairly certain it is not tapeworm (I had a cat a long time ago with tapeworm and it just doesn't look like this)

Obviously I am calling the vet as soon as they open but can someone enlighten me on dangers of such a thing? I read that depending on the worm it is transferable to humans...and my dogs sleep with me!

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Small, white, wiggling worms in poop are usually tape worm segments. Another indication of them will be what looks like dried grains of rice where the pet sleeps, those are dried tape worm segments. If it's tapes then it shouldn't be a danger to you. My cat used to get them all the time and he slept with me, I never had a problem.

Hookworms and whipworm can be a problem for humans, but to catch them you'd have to be walking around barefoot where he pottied or handling the dirt there, it's very rare to see the adult worms in a dogs poo.

Reactions: srelizabeth

·
Registered
713 Posts
You'll need to bring a fresh fecal sample into your vets office for testing to confirm what type of worm it is, determine how severe of an infection it is, and check for any other parasites. Once you know what kind of parasite it is you'll know if it has a zoonotic potential, in the mean time make sure you pick up after him to prevent any reinfection.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You'll need to bring a fresh fecal sample into your vets office for testing to confirm what type of worm it is, determine how severe of an infection it is, and check for any other parasites. Once you know what kind of parasite it is you'll know if it has a zoonotic potential, in the mean time make sure you pick up after him to prevent any reinfection.
Thanks... He pooped this morning but I didn't see any worms in it this time. Can't make the vet until Saturday most likely.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They weren't flat or rice-like like tapeworm, they were short but they were definitely rounded. roundworm?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure if anyone's going to read this but the vet apt is Tuesday. However, I haven't seen any worms since I made this post. Is this normal? I thought if he had worms I'd see more by now. It just has me wondering. I guess a fecal couldn't hurt just to be safe...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Not sure if anyone's going to read this but the vet apt is Tuesday. However, I haven't seen any worms since I made this post. Is this normal? I thought if he had worms I'd see more by now. It just has me wondering. I guess a fecal couldn't hurt just to be safe...
When Bandit had worms when I first got him sometimes he'd go two or three poops not seeing any worms. I bet if I had dug through it with a stick I'd find some. But he definitely still had them. I'd still go to the vet if you can afford it. If money is tight there are over the counter med's you can get at a pet store but make sure to get something that covers as many different types of worms as possible so you are covering your bases.

Edit: When I first got Bandit I had no money so I went with the store bought treatment. It worked but just to make sure as soon as I brought him to the vet to get shots I got him a fecal just to make sure.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the response. I am still going to the vet Tuesday, I just don't know if I can't see them how I'll know after treatment that it worked... I can afford it plus he's due for a check up anyway.

He's pooped twice a day, it's been like 5 days since I posted, so that's ten poops without seeing anything. It's odd but like I said we'll do the fecal anyway. If they say he doesn't have worms I'll be a little confused as to what I saw. Can I treat for worms even if he doesn't have any? Is that harmful?

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
If the worm burden is not heavy then you'll not see the worms very often. I'm glad that you're getting that fecal done when you take him to the vet.

My dog gets Heartgard once a month, in addition to preventing heartworms it prevents a variety of intestinal worms, but even though the product is called a preventative what it does is kills the worms in their larval stage. There will be nothing harmful if you treated your dog for worms and he did not have them, I'd just not do so too often.

·
Registered
439 Posts
If the worm burden is not heavy then you'll not see the worms very often. I'm glad that you're getting that fecal done when you take him to the vet.

My dog gets Heartgard once a month, in addition to preventing heartworms it prevents a variety of intestinal worms, but even though the product is called a preventative what it does is kills the worms in their larval stage. There will be nothing harmful if you treated your dog for worms and he did not have them, I'd just not do so too often.
I'm glad you replied because I honestly had no clue if it would be harmful! Good to know :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm a little nervous about Brody's appointment since I'm also doing a urinalysis and possibly bloodwork to check up on his lyme status. It has been 6-ish months since he tested positive for lyme exposure and had a round of antibiotics. he's never shown any symptoms but if he has protein in his urine it could be a sign of kidney problems.

ticks :mad:

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I'm a little nervous about Brody's appointment since I'm also doing a urinalysis and possibly bloodwork to check up on his lyme status. It has been 6-ish months since he tested positive for lyme exposure and had a round of antibiotics. he's never shown any symptoms but if he has protein in his urine it could be a sign of kidney problems.

ticks :mad:

Hopefully you'll get some good news from the vet.

I HATE ticks, nasty little carriers of all types of diseases:mad:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hopefully you'll get some good news from the vet.

I HATE ticks, nasty little carriers of all types of diseases:mad:
Hopefully! I'll update later after the appointment.

Funny note: I was collecting his urine this morning in a little jar I bought from Walmart last night. It was only until this morning that I read the jar and it reads "Golden Harvest" :rofl:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well. There is no protein in his urine (yay), however the urinalysis shows a low specific gravity which the vet said could mean Addison's or cushings. Basically, he is losing too much water in the urine. The vet sent out bloodwork and will call with results in the morning. Not sure what to think right now, what this means for my dog, etc.

I guess I'll get more answers tomorrow :confused:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hope you either photographed the worms on your phone, or saved them, or there may never be a diagnosis. Did you see the worms in the stool RIGHT AFTER your dog pooped, or later? Because the worms you are describing are not worms at all, but fly maggots, commonly found in dog stool as little as 12 hours after pooping. There are no short, 'round worms' in dogs that are not thin as a hair (hook worms are fairly short-though much longer than a tapeworm segment- but really skinny and wiggly; round worms are long, usually curled in a circle and look like white earth worms; tape worms are segmented and flat, though most people only see the individual segments which are about the length of a piece of rice but distinctly flattened, and die soon after they come out, eventually drying into a light tan color, the shape of a sesame seed, only a bit flatter; whip worms are also very skinny though can't say as I recall exactly what they are like as they are very rare here in California). WE often get clients complaining of their dog's having stools full of worms, but when they bring in a sample it's full of maggots, not worms. Having a stool with tapeworms in it, however, is often a random occurrence, even in dogs with a lot of tapeworms inside. Dogs can have have tapeworms that only shed segments so intermittently that owners only glimpse them once every 3-12 months. So the worms not being there every other time you check does not mean they are gone. But it also fits the maggot scenario, as flies may only lay their eggs in a stool every now and then.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm getting the fecal results today but I couldn't see any worms in there. We just started on Heartgard so that should take care of whatever it was. The worms I did see was immediately after he pooped. We were on a walk and I always clean up after my dog. Maybe they were in the grass where he pooped, I really don't know!

If I ever think I see worms again I will just save that specific sample. I wasn't thinking, it had been such a long day.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just updating that Brodys blood work came back normal, great in fact! So no kidney damage or disease, but still a small concern about the dilute urine. Could have been a fluke result so we're gonna try another urinalysis soon. But I'm so relieved :) he's a healthy beagle.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Just updating that Brodys blood work came back normal, great in fact! So no kidney damage or disease, but still a small concern about the dilute urine. Could have been a fluke result so we're gonna try another urinalysis soon. But I'm so relieved :) he's a healthy beagle.

That's great! I'm so happy y'all got good news:D Now tell him to quit scaring you like that LOL.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's great! I'm so happy y'all got good news:D Now tell him to quit scaring you like that LOL.
LOL The vet was supposed to call in the AM with the results, and didn't call until 5pm! I was in a worried frenzy all day :eek:

I know she said his kidneys and everything are fine, but before she called I was researching renal and urinary supplements that have gotten great reviews on Amazon, I'm wondering if I should buy something like that just for good measure :ponder:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts