Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so when i first got Jessie she had endoguard for a wormer but then heard chicken flavored so changed to drontal where vomit heaps same with miblemax! with one of those she ended going to the vet for continuous vomiting thijnk was drontal one though. Even dad was worried enough to turn round and get her to vet she had a temperature as well.

so tried propantel F which was ok till recently in the last month! it didnt have time to work as she vomited up wormer and green tripe other week! so had to get another worming tablet and last night gave it with food and omg such chunky huge amounts of vomit! dad had noticed she was quiet around 9pm, 9 20pm dad picks me up jessie doesnt greet me but laying on back seat very lethargic looking and quiet didnt even greet me. i got home say 9 45pm get her out go to bed or in bed when she needs to go back outside i thought she didnt go wee wees maybe?

nope i see huge chunks of cream vomit on the grass :( poor Jessie we were up alot about 3-4 times total during night where she ate the vomit which was gross but saved me picking it up :) eaten and seems back to herself but resting alot.

like me i suspect she is exhausted. she wouldnt come back on the bed but wanted her comfy bed so carried her up in it adn she came on my bed at 7am and since been back on it :)

Apparently propantel f is the same ingredients as drontal so why the heck give it another name?! vet was concerned to hear this given her history with wormers and the fact before Jessie moves to the uk with me she needs a wormer with pranztiquel however you spell it in it to cover tape worms.

oh what to do? other then this she is healthy apart from some off tripe other week! didnt help she gorged on charlies treats similar to hers when i was out either so her stomach has to be sore as.

So because she didnt vomit on endoguard trying that in january to see how she does on it since vomiting occurs less on that. Just what natural remedies are out there for vomiting please?

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Question, Why are you worming that often. I have had one of my dogs for 10 years the other 8 and not had to worm either of them. Is this something you do routinely?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Dogs only need to be wormed after the puppy stage, if you know they have been eating poop of another animal (rabbits, deer) or if they are eating rodents like mice or squirrels, maybe something the cat left behind.
You can always ask your vet to check a fecal sample, where they put some poop in a solution and after a few min look at the sample under the microscope.
If the test is clear, no need to worm!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
My dogs a poop eater so he's been wormed once.

It's likely she's having a reaction and throwing up because of how much you're worming her.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
here in new zealand we have to worm our dogs every 3 months. Jessie eats alsorts on walks even tries to eat ozzy and charlies poo, sheep poo, cow poo you name it! she hadnt been wormed for ages and was scooting on the carpet so was either allergies or worms. Also its $160 for a fecal sample here! cant afford that and im not sure insurance would cover it if no worms! we only do neccesary tests and ive only $60 in her vet bill account and given moving in may(at this stage) to Uk to live need to find a wormer that agrees with her given its to be given 2 days prior!

Also had to reworm her as first time few weeks ago she didnt have chance to digest it within a hour she puked up tripe, wormer and then later on had colitis flare up so had to wait till poos normal as vet said it wouldnt of had chance to work as it needs a few hours.

I dont need to re worm her till January now as she got given wormer at 5pm and it was 10pm when vomited it had chance to work and do its job

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry but being on benefits i cannot afford a fecal sample every so often! money isnt very flush right now

Reactions: Weenie

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Well if Jessie is throwing up because of the treatment none of us here will be able to tell you why. It could be a sensitive stomach, it could be an allergy, it could be the product - only your vet can determine that.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well if Jessie is throwing up because of the treatment none of us here will be able to tell you why. It could be a sensitive stomach, it could be an allergy, it could be the product - only your vet can determine that.
thats what im trying to figure out as is the vet :( he reccomends trying endoguard again but said he will still look at what others are on market for her because he can always order others in specially.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
thats what im trying to figure out as is the vet :( he reccomends trying endoguard again but said he will still look at what others are on market for her because he can always order others in specially.
Perhaps it's the frequent change? You could try endogaurd for a year and see if that makes a difference

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Crazy, is there a topical wormer you could give her? Here in the U.S. I do use a wormer every month but it's because the wormer is combined with his heartworm / flea preventative. What I use is Advantage Multi, it is a monthly topical, and it prevents heartworm, fleas, hookworm, roundworm, and whipworm. We do have tapeworms around here but they are caused by fleas and in all the years that I've owned dogs I've only treated Shadow and only did so once. I do get a fecal done on Zody but it is part of his yearly exam and unless my vet has a reason for suspecting worms that's the only time it's done. I'd never get one done for tapeworms since those are not that hard to diagnose myself, little white worms in his poo, or what looks like dried grains of rice where he sleeps are the main signs of it.

I'm reading this for information on it http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=1459 and if it's only treating tapeworms, hookworms, whipworms and large roundworms, maybe something like what I use is available to you. You just might have to treat tapeworms on an as needed basis and you'll probably never have to treat for it if Jessie is flea free.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jessie was on endoguard from 9 weeks old till nov 2014 when the vet was worried its chicken flavored and her skin was a mess so thats when tried drontal but she puked and puked and puked non stop. after that is when i tried miblemax. then we seemed to have luck for 6 months with propantel F till recently :(
@Rain theres advocate but it doesnt treat tapeworms so id need a wormer anyway and its far too expensive to keep up on my income! dont recall her having fleas but in may if i move in may to UK we need a wormer to cover tape worms that wont make her puke to be given 2 days prior to flying :(

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Maybe healing clay would be better. It does not cost very much and works. It does not have any side effects. It is actually something that calms the stomach. If you have ever used kaopectate for stomach ache that is healing clay. You can feed it daily in food. You need a food grade like this.
HealthForce Nutritionals, ZeoForce, Detoxify Daily, 14 oz (400 g) - iHerb.com
Parasites
Calcium bentonite clay is a natural de-wormer. It gently removes parasites from the intestinal tract and safely eliminates them- all without the use of harmful chemicals or medications. In addition, the clay also cleanses the digestive tract of bad bacteria, viruses and fungi, which allows the animal to better absorb nutrients from its diet. This detoxifying action also aids the animal’s liver and kidney, which can easily become overloaded with toxins.
https://earthslivingclay.com/1702/heal-your-pet-naturally-with-calcium-bentonite-clay/

·
Registered
113 Posts
sorry but being on benefits i cannot afford a fecal sample every so often! money isnt very flush right now
I can't believe thats what they charge for a fecal there! yikes.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can't believe thats what they charge for a fecal there! yikes.
Yep even to send urine to lab is $65 cost 900 for anal gland removal last year. In house urine test $25. wonder how cheap fecals are in usa and canada

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If my dog had problems like allergies, she would not be allowed to eat anything on her walks.

When you say you have to worm dogs in NZ every 3 months - is that a law? If so what products must be used? Or could you try something natural that maybe kind to Jesse?

Such as
Pumpkin Seeds: A Natural Solution For Worms - Dogs Naturally Magazine
Well let me re pharse that on leash Jessie doesnt get a chance to eat anything on walks but im not a fast person on walks and when she is off leash which she really needs to let rid energy off even though she knows leave it she turns deaf at times and ignores you and eats whatever it is (normally dog poo, sheep poo, grass) but odd ocassion has been something else. Jessie wont run on a long leash so thats a no no. she needs the freedom. Pumpkin is a vegetable isnt it? fruits and veges she cant have and i am more worried about the fact i need a wormer that wont make her sick for end april to de worm her before flying all the way to UK with me

The pet company who are flying her have made it clear it has to be a wormer and needs to contain Praziquantel otherwise i dont think she can fly. will get the email up and paste it.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
[FONT=Century Gothic,sans-serif]Hi Janine

Worm tablet must have praziquantel in it, you can worm with own vet 2 days prior to flight date, VenturePet would supply worm form for vet to complete.

[/FONT]

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its in the books we get for vaccinations etc that we have to worm every 3 months
Canine Worming

So it seems a requirement . Jessie cant have fruit or veges as it sends her urine PH sky rocket high to 9 and causes cystitis

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I don't think its a requirement....It looks like that's just standard recommendation for NZ. Not something legal.

I personally wouldn't worm her that often, especially if she's becoming increasingly sensitive to it. You have to remember that wormer is poison. It just doesn't seem worth it, especially if she's not actually having any problems with diarrhea and her poops are always fine and normal. It's just creating problems where there previously weren't any.

If it makes you feel any better, my oldest is 13.5 and she's never been wormed. Ever. If she has worms, oh well? They obviously aren't causing any health issues. Though I doubt she has them. I never bother running fecals either.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts