Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so as most of you know Karma's dog reactive and I've put a lot of work into and she's come such a long way. She actually recently graduated her reactive dog classes(we just did the classes to give us a chance to work around other dogs in a controlled setting) and is doing super! At any rate last weekend we went on a bully walk and some of these folks I've met before, but most it was my first time meeting them.

Well got a message from one of the ladies there asking if I might be interested in working with her dog. He's people friendly, but anxious around other dogs. Thinking back to the meet up he wasn't anywhere near as bad as Karma used to be and I feel like it's probably something I could work with. I've never really considering working with other reactive dogs and have always recommend trainers/classes etc, but this is the first time someone has personally seeked me out and asked if I'd be willing to work with their dog.

I feel like I might want to take it on because I do think he's a dog I could actually work with, but then again I'm hesitating.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I think you should tell her what you told us. You've never tried it and are hesitant. But why don't you maybe go out with her handling the dog one day and give her some tips.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I personally like working with other people's dogs it can give you a fresh perspective on working with your own however I haven't done anything with reactivity just small tricks like "play dead" and stuff like that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Be honest with her - it sounds as if you want to try! Good for you.

I have helped a lot of people with their dogs since I retired notably one woman who has four rescue Staffordshire Bull Terriers, she couldn't walk them on their own, was frightened to let them off leash for fear of them fighting, I showed her how to take leadership, she almost does when I turned up for our walk with five dogs but non of hers are aggressive and they were/are all fine.

I enjoy helping others and giving them the confidence to manage situations.

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
If you think you can make a difference, I'd go for it. I'd take the lady's request as a compliment as it sounds like you have done well with your own reactive dog. The upside of working with other dogs is the benefit of experiencing their nuances and learning how to tweak the training for any particular dog. Another upside is when you have your hands on the controls, you have a bit of an advantage at times since you will be an unknown entity to the dog and have the dog a bit off balance. This advantage makes it easier to set precedent from the very beginning as the dog figures you out.

The downside can be dealing with the lady because at times it can be difficult to train the human to employ your methods properly. Many times the timing of certain tactics required is difficult for the owner to execute properly as you would do. Also, especially with dog reactivity, it can be difficult for some to see the subtle precursors leading up to the dog going beyond a trainable moment. Obviously, you are savvy in all of this but the lady might not be.

One last thought, working with other dogs, keeps one honest with their methods and consistency. I probably am guilty at times of cutting my own dog some slack when she is being a tad stubborn rather than another dog I might be working with.

Unfortunately, what agility collie mom stated about people suing at the drop of a hat has some merit to it. Nothing wrong with having all angles covered.

Have fun with it.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Yep have a friend who is a professional dog trainer she started out walking dogs for clients. Let me tell you some of the crazy people she came acrosst. One called the police on her even though she told her where she was taking her dog for a walk and for how long. Just beware that acquaintances can sometimes turn out to be crazy. Thank goodness she was a registered business with insurance.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
I'll take every opportunity to work with a problem dog in an uncontrolled environment - as long as the owner is willing.

Good example, few years ago I was standing outside having a cigarette, lady came by with a beautiful APBT. Claimed he was afraid of men - ok, I'm a man, give me 10 minutes of your time, we'll see what your dog is capable of. I stood there speaking to her, ignored the dog, dog sniffed me and I was petting it before long. Owner was relaxed, dog was fine. Last words I said to the owner, "your dog isn't scared of men in public places, you are". Was the dog "reacting" to her fear?

I won't take peoples dogs and train them. I find too many owners won't change - if the owner can't change, then the dog can't.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.