Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since getting my puppy I've pretty much stopped going to the gym. Partly it's that going to the gym and then coming home and then going out for another brisk walk is just too much for me. Effort wise and mostly time wise.

It's still sunny out, and there's a park nearby. Given that so many trainers, frankly, seem to be in good shape, it seems pretty self evident that there might be ways to incorporate your dog into your workout regularly while building the bond and also getting your cardio in.

But a search doesn't really yield much.

Beyond just taking him for a run, does anyone have links to videos or tutorials of fun activities I can do with my puppy that will also help me burn so calories and get a good workout in? If you have a workout routine with your dog that goes beyond just taking him for a run, can you share it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
151 Posts
So since getting my puppy I've pretty much stopped going to the gym. Partly it's that going to the gym and then coming home and then going out for another brisk walk is just too much for me. Effort wise and mostly time wise.

It's still sunny out, and there's a park nearby. Given that so many trainers, frankly, seem to be in good shape, it seems pretty self evident that there might be ways to incorporate your dog into your workout regularly while building the bond and also getting your cardio in.

But a search doesn't really yield much.

Beyond just taking him for a run, does anyone have links to videos or tutorials of fun activities I can do with my puppy that will also help me burn so calories and get a good workout in? If you have a workout routine with your dog that goes beyond just taking him for a run, can you share it?

Thanks!
OMG, I completely relate and sympathize with the first paragraph of your post!!! Roscoe has been hell on my gym schedule!! I knew it would happen because he's a puppy, but I still struggle with it. We try not to leave him alone very long because we don't want him shut away in his crate or playpen too much, but it sure is taking a toll on our schedules (and my waistline and hard-earned muscle definition). lol

Do you have a pool? I imagine swimming together could be a very good workout.

·
Registered
279 Posts
First off a disclaimer, that I personally am not the most in-shape excercise minded person.
With that said, now that my dog is getting stronger I am trying to do bicep curls while playing tug, and tricep extensions. Because she pulls too hard for the tricep extensions. I move her to the wood floor to give her a tug disadvantage. You also might be able to incorporate a loop into the tug rope and use the dog resistance for leg lifts etc. Depending on the size and strength of your dog, their could be a lot of merit in using tug pulling as resistance.

We also taught her to play tag, she mostly does it with the kids, but it is a good workout, as you are not just running, you are changing direction and getting the heart rate up. I also noticed when I hula hoop my dog likes to chase the hoop around, maybe that could safely be turned into some kind of game.

I used to know someone who did push ups with his dog on his back! That might require a lot of training though!

·
Registered
572 Posts
bikejouring or anytime of jouring as well.

doesn't look hard but when dogs are your engine the core workout you get from trying to balance is awesome. The rougher the ground the more workout

·
Registered
641 Posts
Every morning when I do 60-80 minutes on my elliptical, my dog curls up in a nearby chair and naps. Does that count as working out with one's dog?

My last dog, who passed in 2013, did the exact same thing, though he preferred the couch.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Every morning when I do 60-80 minutes on my elliptical, my dog curls up in a nearby chair and naps. Does that count as working out with one's dog?

My last dog, who passed in 2013, did the exact same thing, though he preferred the couch.
Hahaha, you have your own personal trainer supervising your sessions!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts