Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup Ember has started to have tummy issues. I am quickly becoming overwhelmed and just need to bounce ideas.

Qualifier -
I took her to the vet last week and found no blockages. Just a very slight fever; opted for antibiotics and finished those up on Sunday. Vet wasn't concerned about it being life threatening or anything contagious. Second dog in house is healthy as a horse.

Background -
She is 35lbs and has always had a voracious appetite. She is just over a year old. She is a high energy breed, but a great mix of craziness and chill. When we brought her home we switched her over to our current dog's food, a mix of dry and canned, with dry in the AM and dry+canned in the evening. Dry was Halo's Spots Stew Lamb, and canned was Blue Buffalo "Family Favorites" mostly beef varieties. She was great on that for a few months, then stopped eating the dry in the morning. I started to put water in with the dry and topping it with Blue Buffalo Wilderness toppers and she started eating her morning meal again. The toppers are really expensive for what you get, however, so I just switched to dry+canned+water for both morning and evening meals.

In December when things started getting cold enough to freeze everything, we learned that she has an affinity for eating poo, as she kindly brought some into the house one night and started mindfully gnawing on it while on one of the couches. Since then we've been doing our best with trying to get her to stop, and I started putting a spoonful of canned pumpkin into their food. That seemed to curb the habit for a couple weeks.

About three weeks ago I went to let her out of her crate in the morning and noticed she was very subdued. Alert, just not her normal bouncing-off-the-walls self. Then about an hour later I realized her stomach was growling and gurgling loud enough to be heard across a room. She wouldn't eat her breakfast. I stayed home from work with her to make sure she wasn't going to vomit or have diarrhea, and after about an hour she went to her food bowl and ate. After that the tummy gurgling stopped and she became her normal self again.

Things were fine until a couple days later when she regurgitated her dinner. But she was fine before and after that happened. Two days after that she had another morning of gurgling tummy and refusal to eat. That time she refused her food all day. That scared me, so I took her to the vet, findings detailed above. That night and the next day, I put both dogs on a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice. Which they both loved. On the third day I started to reintroduce her food. She seemed to be fine for the rest of that week. Her tummy seems to gurgle and growl in the mornings until it's time to eat, but it's not loud.

I decided this is probably related to nutrition and something that she's eating is not "doing it" for her, so I'm in the process of switching dry food out to grain free, no soy-wheat-corn, etc. I opted for Nature's Variety Instinct Beef & Lamb. I also put them on a probiotic & enzyme supplement, and a small spoonful of coconut oil in breakfast. No more pumpkin since I add the supplement, though considering putting it back in for breakfast since the supplement is once a day and they get it at dinner. Things seemed to be going smoothly with everyone happy.

Now this morning she pooped in the house - totally my fault, as I had let her out in the morning after she woke up but didn't watch to see what she did, and ended up calling her back inside instead of letting her come to the door when she was ready... she tried to tell me that she needed to go back out, but she just learned that ringing her "potty bells" gets her humans to walk over to the door and let her out, so we are trying to deter her from ringing them every five seconds, as she is doing right now... so I ignored her, and she ran from room to room looking anxious, which I read too late, as I found her in the living room, pooping. :( It was loose, but not diarrhea. After that her tummy was growling and gurgling again, not loud, enough for me to know she was hungry. But when it came time for breakfast, she wouldn't eat. I let her out and when she came back in she tried to eat, but would just spit it out - and it was all the new kibble.

So now I just don't know what to do next. She really prefers canned food, so I'm thinking of maybe switching to to that. Ideally I would do a raw diet, but I am so nervous about it. I have a huge raw-meat germ phobia. Plus, I travel for work, and when I'm going my husband is on dog duty, so it has to be super convenient. I'm just not sure he'd remember to take on a meal for it to thaw and come to room temp.

Ideas? Have you been in a similar situation? What did you try?

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Sounds like it maybe meat intolerance. You could try a single protein food that your dog has never eaten. My suggestion is turkey because it isn't usually mixed into other meats. The brands I know of are Zignature and Go sensitive and shine. They are both grain free and both had single proteins. Stick with the food and nothing else for at least a month to see if it works. If you give treats make sure they are also single protein and the same as the meat in the food. I went through that with my hound for over a year before I figures it out. The cycle of not eating gurgling and pinging stomach throwing up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Dawn... as I was writing this I started to wonder if maybe it was the lamb, as that has really been the common variable throughout it all... I'll try switching that out and see how that goes :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Instead of feeding dry one meal and wet the next could you mix half the wet with half the dry for both meals? To me it sounds like she just doesn't like the new food. Of if you aren't feeding wet anymore consider getting a can of tuna, anchovies, or salmon and mixing a spoonful with water to coat the dry food. You really do this with any canned food she likes, but I say fish because it's usually the easiest protein to digest for food allergies.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Thanks, Dawn... as I was writing this I started to wonder if maybe it was the lamb, as that has really been the common variable throughout it all... I'll try switching that out and see how that goes :)
Good luck I hope it works for your dog as well as it did for mine. The vets were no help. Just told me to use pepsid. I can't remember if you said she had been to the vet. If not it might be a good idea to have her checked out to make sure
it is nothing more serious.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, she's been to the vet - checked out ok. So now just working on the food because I'm sure that's the root cause too. I do feed dry and canned together now, but I'm thinking of getting rid of the dry altogether for her. Hopefully I'll find the right thing soon :)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Sounds like a food intolerance to me also. Actually, beef has been found to be at the top of the list along with chicken! Switching to a limited ingredient food that uses a novel protein might help...... Zignature, Wellness, and Canine Caviar, all have these formulas.
Remember though, it takes several weeks to ascertain if this is your problem, and while you are feeding a limited diet food, you have to avoid all other foods/treats! Good luck! I hope your dog's digestive problems get solved!

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Yeah, she's been to the vet - checked out ok. So now just working on the food because I'm sure that's the root cause too. I do feed dry and canned together now, but I'm thinking of getting rid of the dry altogether for her. Hopefully I'll find the right thing soon :)
I have used two that work for us. Honest kitchen and also fresh pet vital
The vital you can get at petco or petsmart , the 6 lb rolls are the most economic. The honest kitchen I buy the 10 lb box that makes 40 pounds of food once rehydrated. I get it from the company because the mark up in the pet stores is quite high. On the 10 lb box shipping is free.
Freshpet - Vital® Balanced Nutrition Turkey Dog Food Recipe with Peas, Carrots & Brown Rice
Keen Dog Food – Whole Grain Turkey
I can switch back and forth with these without any stomach issues.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Her symptoms are very similar to my dog that has IBD. It may not be, could be just a food intolerance of some sort. But just keep that in mind if it doesn't resolve after food changes. Chess had major gurgling and weird noises, and didn't want to eat(and normally she's a vacuum). It took over a year to diagnose her, as her symptoms were there but nothing major and tests came back normal.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I agree with those who think it may well be a food allergy. You need to isolate foods, to try to determine which she is sensitive to. Your Vet should be able to help. We have a neighbor that has a Lab, who was sick for years. The Vet finally put her on a prescription food, she is absolutely a different dog now. Its not inexpensive, but the result is she is one healthy happy dog now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, everyone!!

I am taking her back to the vet today because she threw up again this morning, and now she does have diarrhea - very mucousy with what looked like (to my untrained eye, mind) a little bit of blood. I'm going to take a stool sample with so they can test. My other dog is totally healthy with no issues, so I still think this has something to do with food allergies or IBS.

I have used two that work for us. Honest kitchen and also fresh pet vital
The vital you can get at petco or petsmart , the 6 lb rolls are the most economic. The honest kitchen I buy the 10 lb box that makes 40 pounds of food once rehydrated. I get it from the company because the mark up in the pet stores is quite high. On the 10 lb box shipping is free.
Freshpet - Vital® Balanced Nutrition Turkey Dog Food Recipe with Peas, Carrots & Brown Rice
Keen Dog Food – Whole Grain Turkey
I can switch back and forth with these without any stomach issues.

Thanks for the food suggestions, Dawnben! I'm going to give these a try.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Hi again I just read this and thought I should pass it along since you were using canned food. Carrageenan is a common ingredient in canned dog food. It always amazes me how the food companies disregard our pets health. So this crosses of the fresh pet for me. Fortunately its not in the honest kitchen so I don't have to start over.

”The common food additive carrageenan predictably induces intestinal inflammation in animal models.” Of huge significance, this paper also states that Carrageenan (CGN) “has been used for decades, to induce inflammation” in laboratory animals to study the effectiveness of anti-inflammatory medications.
Carrageenan Just Don't Do It - Dogs Naturally Magazine

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
hmmm this almost sounds identical to how Jessie in my avatar was on the now fresh grain free food apart from the diareha and throwing up.

Def take pup off the blue buffalo food not only have they been sued for false advertising but contain by products etc. it also sounds like the wrong food for your pup. Id look into a LID (limited ingredient diet) food like acana, go and a few other brands do those. ive heard in teh past blue is over priced and you can get other foods that are high quality for cheaper then blue.

With my Jessie i will never find out which meat it was that caused her tummy issues on the now fresh it was either duck or turkey as salmon caused anal gland issues. not only was her tummy gurlging but constantly she was hungry and you could hear her tummy grumble all the time and she pooped 6 times a day she was basically pooping all the food out. Reason i wont find out which protien it was causing it is because no dry food even samples they dont agree with her and she has to be raw fed (horse, veal, beef, lamb, rabbit, organs and bone in too) she also has green tripe which helps her tummy and very good for her.

please keep us updated

Reactions: storms226

·
Registered
442 Posts
Has she had a negative fecal? If not, definitely have one tested, especially since she eats outside animals poop. If she were my dog, I might even ask the vet about treating with a broad spectrum antiparasitic medication just to rule it out, as I've picked up and vetted enough outside cats in my area to know the sort of bugs my dogs might pick up eating the cat poop. Some parasites can only be found on fecals intermittently, and given her risky behavior, it might be worth treating preemptively, though I'm sure there are differing opinions on it.

If the diarrhea persists without obvious cause, there are diarrhea specific panels which can be ran by your vet to rule in/out multiple potential causes, also pancreatitis can cause gross diarrhea as well as inappetence, and is pretty easily tested for if they haven't yet.

A lot of times if dogs have nausea regularly, they will begin to refuse the food that is offered because they correlate that with the nausea. Not saying that's what's happening, but it's worth considering.

Have you tried her on a dry food only (or mostly) diet? Some dogs for whatever reason don't do well with canned food, so it might be worth a try. If she won't eat dry without any canned, just put a spoonful and some warm water, and let it soak for a few before feeding, she may eat that.

If her preference is clearly for canned food, it may be worth trying that. I do think some dogs will naturally avoid things that cause them to not feel well, so it may be worth a try to "listen to" her preference.

It can't hurt to try a different protein source to see if she has a different preference. My old dog detests turkey, and isn't keen on lamb, though as she's gotten older, she's gotten pickier still- I don't know if some things just don't taste good to her or if they "don't agree with her".

One more slightly outside of the box feeding suggestion- if she's been on high end foods since you've had her, and you've tried several with similar results, you may try a lower quality food. Some dogs don't do well on richer, higher quality foods, despite them having better ingredients. I've heard enough people have good luck with Purina's sensitive skin & stomach formula that I might try it if nothing else had helped, and while it's not a particularly good food, there are worse out there.

When I had a dog I was giving an enzyme supplement to, it had to be mixed into her food a bit before feeding so the enzymes had time to work their magic. Not sure if yours is the same? I've used Nupro and Solid Gold seameal (not at the same time) for various dogs, and both were found to be pretty palatable. I think the seameal has some enzymes in it, but not sure about Nupro- it's been a while.

I've also had good luck with inappetent/nauseous dogs getting them to eat macaroni and cheese. Pasta is frequently helpful for dogs with diarrhea, and most of them seem not to be able to resist the cheesy smell/flavor. I had a dog who ate varying amounts mixed in with dog food for several months when she had lymphoma and was not wanting her normal food, and usually a spoonful or two will convince my current old picky dog to eat food she's unwilling to touch without it. Of course, coaxing her to eat with other goodies will probably not solve whatever is causing her to not eat, and she may eventually turn her nose up to those things as well.

Does she regurgitate frequently? That sometimes can indicate other issues. If so, make sure to point it out to your vet. Good luck, it's definitely frustrating to not know why they refuse food when it happens regularly.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, guys. Today I really just want to cry.

I took her to the vet this morning. I brought in a stool sample with me. They are checking that first as they would rather rule out parasites. She is not eating a single thing today, yet her tummy is gurgling and growling so loud, and she is also now also attacking my other dog any time food is brought out. :(

The vet gave me more antibiotics and said I could give her some Pepcid, but I can't get her to take the pills. I've tried putting them in peanut butter and cheese but she spits them out. I tried shoving them down her throat like a cat and that just scared her. For food I tried chicken with rice, sniffs, took a bite, spit it out. I tried putting a little broth in there, same thing. Then I tried getting her to eat just a little pumpkin... won't. All she wants is to go outside and eat grass.

I called the vet back and they are suggesting I come in and buy some I/D canned.

The couple times I took her there they have said possibly Addison's Disease. After the fecal results come back if they are negative that is next step. But right now I just want to get her to eat.

·
Registered
442 Posts
When my old dog turns her nose up at various foods containing her pills, I grind the pill and mix it with a small bit of butter. If she eats the butter, great. If not, I smear a tiny glob onto her nose/upper lip. Once she licks that bit off, add more, until all gone. If needed, you can even smear it on the teeth, and since it melts, they really can't do much about it. I've found that my old fart will usually just eat it, even though she doesn't like the taste of the pill itself, and if not, the smear and lick method is way less stressful on her than the pry mouth open and shove pill in throat method. Alternatively, you may be able to crush it and dissolve in some broth or water and use as a liquid in a syringe, though stubborn dogs will often just let it dribble out of their mouth rather than swallow. Ask your vet first if it's ok to crush the pills.

Did they rule out pancreatitis? Addison's disease is a tough one, but many dogs do well once it's managed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They did not bring up pancreatitis :( though I am very curious on that as well.

I also meant to mention that today at the vet she didn't have a fever, was not dehydrated, and gums were a good color. Vet also did not feel any issues with her abdomen. Yet I still can't get her to eat a dam thing. She will take tiny licks of anything new I present to her but that's it. I even tried cat food to see if she would take it and she turned her nose away.

I was at least able to get her to eat an antibiotic pill smeared in cheese. But, now she won't eat the cheese.

She is also still drinking water. I am going to try very hard to get her in to see our normal vet tomorrow. Hopefully we will have some answers soon. This is just heart breaking for me.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
When Samantha was desperately ill two years ago, (reaction to antibiotic) we were told to just get anything into her we could, to control weight loss. All she would eat, was freshly cooked grass fed beef, and roasted chicken, and chicken jerky(not from China). Sometimes she would only eat out of our hands, but eventually she did recover, and for the past year we have fought overweight. Vet put her on prescription diet food, and she is losing, just about ready to switch to a maintenance diet. Just hang in there, it has to get better. I know it seemed to be an endless dark tunnel for us, when finally she did start to improve. Of course we then had the battle of getting her back on dog food, and again we finally finally prevailed, but for what seemed like forever, it seemed like one battle after another.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts