Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello :)
I would like some advice and opinions on owning a dog whilst working.
I am a freelance illustrator but work part time 10-4, each day of the week. (weekends off)

Luckily I work five minutes from home so I will easily be able to make it home on my hour lunch break. I grew up with labradors but my mum worked from home so they were rarely left alone day to day. I live an active lifestyle and would be commitment to walking my dog morning and evening, however, I still have reservations, especially if I get a puppy.

Thoughts on working these hours and juggling a young happy dog? I would love to hear from anyone in a similar boat and how you've been able to give your dog enough time and attention despite it.

As I mentioned Ive grown up around labradors and adore them but am open to other breed advice supposing they tolerate being left alone any better? If thats even a thing! (doubt).

My main priority is obviously that dog is happy and healthy above all else.

Thankyou

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
hello :)

As I mentioned Ive grown up around labradors and adore them but am open to other breed advice supposing they tolerate being left alone any better? If thats even a thing! (doubt).

My main priority is obviously that dog is happy and healthy above all else.

Thankyou
You grew up with dogs but did you help potty train one is the question? I would recommend going to a shelter and adopting a 6 month old instead of a puppy. Raising a puppy is a huge chore with the potty training chewing and sharp little land shark teeth. My last one was a puppy and I had forgotten all the little things that make a puppy so much work. Plus the lost sleep. Sounds like you are a perfect home go for it. I don't know how anyone lives without a dog in the house they are the best.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
You grew up with dogs but did you help potty train one is the question? I would recommend going to a shelter and adopting a 6 month old instead of a puppy. Raising a puppy is a huge chore with the potty training chewing and sharp little land shark teeth. My last one was a puppy and I had forgotten all the little things that make a puppy so much work. Plus the lost sleep. Sounds like you are a perfect home go for it. I don't know how anyone lives without a dog in the house they are the best.
I would add to keep in mind puppies that are in shelters are often due to someone who realized they didn't have the time or patience to train or care for them, and will doubtfully have a lot of manners when it comes to training. She could very well just have to potty train a 6 month old who was never properly trained. Any unstimulated dog can chew and destroy.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I would add to keep in mind puppies that are in shelters are often due to someone who realized they didn't have the time or patience to train or care for them, and will doubtfully have a lot of manners when it comes to training. She could very well just have to potty train a 6 month old who was never properly trained. Any unstimulated dog can chew and destroy.
I used to rescue out of the shelter then place them in forever homes. A 4 to 6 month old is a lot easier and quicker to train then an 12 week old.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I used to rescue out of the shelter then place them in forever homes. A 4 to 6 month old is a lot easier and quicker to train then an 12 week old.
I disagree. A dog that's been peeing in the house for 4-6 months, ime, is harder to train than a puppy who hasn't gotten the chance. If anything Id say on average, the puppies I've fostered or owned, it's about the same, but I wouldn't say it's easier.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I think you have a good work schedule and work location to get a new puppy if you so choose, and a Lab would probably be fine. Just keep in mind that you would need to take breaks to run home or have someone take the puppy out a few times a day while you were at work if s/he is under 6 months old. The issue on whether or not it's easier to housetrain a dog under or over that age is debatable, and can depend on the dog, and how and where that dog was raised. The only thing about Labs is (as I'm sure you know) that they have loads of energy and need a lot of exercise when young, and definitely training. So you'd have to be willing to give the dog good obedience training and some nice walks, and romps/games of fetch before and after work.

There are loads of Labs and near Labs in shelters, plenty of them under one year old. My shelter just had a 3 month old this week. Also, while many puppies and adolescent dogs come into shelters because the first owners don't have the patience to train or care for them as cos said, that doesn't necessarily mean the dog is well, hard to train and care for. It's just that many people impulse buy/adopt dogs, get puppies as unwanted gifts, and don't always realize how much work a new puppy is, especially a smart, energetic breed like a Lab.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts