Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My wife brought home a female Labradoodle x English Mastiff puppy tonight. The daddy was 170#. I joined to ask dumb questions like "How big will my new bundle of joy get?". :) My other dog is a 4yo big black short hair German Shepherd. He's 115# but tall and skinny. My yard is like a fenced in football field so I'm good to go for room. Thank you for any help.
- Joe

PS: Nobody had the name DogBreath yet? :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Ok, this is definitely a tough one, but let's give it a shot!

I'm going to assume the labradoodle was half Labrador and half Standard poodle. A female standard poodle should weigh between 45-60 lbs. A female Labrador should weigh between 50-70 lbs.

On the other end of the scale, a female English Mastiff can weigh anywhere from 120-170. However, if the Dad was 170 lbs, that is on the small side for a male English Mastiff.

If I had to guess, my best guess would be that your girl will end up between 85-105 lbs. That said, mixes are impossible to predict because your pup could take after any of these breeds more than the others.

Do you have a picture?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a picture of her. Today she is 6 weeks +1 day old. I'm surprised they sold her at so young an age. Today she weighed exactly 10.0 pounds. I don't know if she's looking more like a Mastiff or a Labradoodle. She's eating Diamond large breed puppy food.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hard to tell at such a young age, but I'm seeing a lot of lab.

Six weeks really is much too young for a pup to leave its mama and littermates. This means she missed out on important dog communication & social skills. You will need to make up for this in your training and socialization. However it's very important that you don't bring her around other dogs until she is fully vaccinated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hard to tell at such a young age, but I'm seeing a lot of lab.

Six weeks really is much too young for a pup to leave its mama and littermates. This means she missed out on important dog communication & social skills. You will need to make up for this in your training and socialization. However it's very important that you don't bring her around other dogs until she is fully vaccinated.
I'm letting her sniff noses with my GSD, but just so he won't eat her later. My GSD has never been ill and he's 4 years old. She already had a 5 in one shot when I got her. I'm taking her to my vet in 3 days just for a once over. My 8 & 9 year olds play with her enough. She can already bite hard! I'm teaching my kids to teach her that a hard bite is bad, nip is ok.

I googled for Mastadore, and Mastiff/Black Lab puppies look exactly like her. I don't see any poodle at all. Right now I'm happy, and she's happy, and my wife and kids are happy. She's semi house trained, but so young. It's all good.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I'm letting her sniff noses with my GSD, but just so he won't eat her later. My GSD has never been ill and he's 4 years old. She already had a 5 in one shot when I got her. I'm taking her to my vet in 3 days just for a once over. My 8 & 9 year olds play with her enough. She can already bite hard! I'm teaching my kids to teach her that a hard bite is bad, nip is ok.

I googled for Mastadore, and Mastiff/Black Lab puppies look exactly like her. I don't see any poodle at all. Right now I'm happy, and she's happy, and my wife and kids are happy. She's semi house trained, but so young. It's all good.
I would suggest teaching them that any biting at all is bad. Especially for a puppy that didn't have the opportunity to learn bite inhibition from her littermates. I have my little one always have a dog toy in her hand when playing with any puppies, I teach her that the proper thing to do when a puppy tries to bite/nip at her hands/clothes/arms/etc is to redirect to the toy and praise like crazy!

But she is definitely going to be a big girl, and nips from big dogs can be pretty devestating. So I would start now with teaching her that it is unacceptable to put her mouth on any human parts.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I have a Golden Retriever x Poodle with some Aussie in her. She just had a straight coat like your puppy until she was a bit older, then it got really curly so hard to tell what sort of coat your pup will have. She is going to be a good size though if she is already 10 lbs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thank you very much for the great advice. I'll be asking future questions out in the correct areas. I really appreciate not being put down for Diamond Naturals food, being a noob, having a mixed breed, and thinking it is ok..:) Many forums are full of snooty stuck up people. It's nice to just get advice, and not be told you are a moron or worse.. I'll try and help others as I can once I learn more. TYVM I paid $150 for my big beautiful black GSD that has no papers, but has been perfect. This is a mutt I paid $175 for, and I think she has great potential. I'm all for pure breeds, but if you can't afford $$$ you shouldn't be denied a dog. Especially if you have kids. I'm not really for the tons of pit bull things out there, but that's just me. I'm not against Pit Bulls, but many of the owners need education.
- Joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.