Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every day is better than the last! :)

I had another great day with Lincoln the Labraddodle today! He is obeying commands very well and I took him to a park and played fetch with him today. He used to run to the ball, look at it, and then leave it there. If he did pick it up, he did not bring it back.

Today, he retrieved it every time and dropped it when he approached me and I said "drop it". I was using a "chucker" so I was able to throw it quite a long distance. He seemed to enjoy himself as much as I did.

Good times!
-Mike-

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are a few pictures of our adventure! The blue band around his snout is not a muzzle, it is a "Gentle Leader" collar. Eventually I took it off to let him feel a little more free.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm so happy to hear of the progress you've been making with Lincoln! I love the last photo of him, he looks so focused on you. You deserve as much credit as he does. You've continued to work hard to give him the right balance of exercise, affection and discipline. Keep up the great work!

·
Registered
303 Posts
WTG Lincoln! I too love the last pic! He looks like he's saying "Aw come on Dad! Drop the camera already and play with me!! Helllllooooo!!"
Im so glad things are starting to pull together for you both!
Cheers!
GG

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As you have probably read, we have been working on our dog's separation anxiety issues. He has been getting better gradually. We are supposed to give him anti-anxiety medicine when we leave because he got so worked up that we (and the Vet) were worried that he would hurt himself. He already chipped a tooth. The medicine seems to calm him somewhat, but it also makes him unresponsive to normal commands. When he is on the medicine, he is a little naughty.

When we first got him, when we left the house, he immediately freaked out and continued until we returned. Lately, he has been quiet when we leave. He barks for a few minutes after about a half hour, and about once an hour to hour and a half he gets very agitated and tries to break out of his kennel. This lasts about 5 minutes. He shakes it so violently that it hops around the room. But remember, this used to be constant when we left, so 5 minutes an hour is a huge improvement.

We tried a little experiment today. We did not have to kennel Lincoln this morning because my daughter was home. She was going to be gone for about an hour and a half this afternoon, so we would normally give him the anti-anxiety medicine. Since it was only going to be a relatively short duration, and since he has been doing better in general, we decided to try leaving him without giving him the medicine.

His behavior was exactly the same as when he is on the medicine and he was not naughty when we got home. It was nice. We are really looking forward to getting him off the medicine, so this was a great step. :)

-Mike-

·
Registered
303 Posts
That's great news Mike! How cool will it be not to give him medication! Good for your for trying the experiment! Hugs to Lincoln!
GG

1 - 9 of 9 Posts