Dog Forum banner

Won't stop peeing on carpeting!

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Laco 
#1 ·
Got my American Bulldog puppy at 9wks and now he's almost 5mths old. He is very smart. Learned commands easily and still listens extremely well. He was even very good at potty training. I had him outside every hour, never any accidents unless it was my own fault. It's been a month now of him constantly urinating on the carpets. I still put him out almost every hour, after he has drinks or after he wakes up or after a long play session, but even still, he has taken a liking to peeing on the carpets and only the carpets. My whole home is basically carpeted. He will sit at the door if he has to poop. He will sit at the door if he wants to be outside lounging in the sun. But he will not go to the door to pee. And he absolutely never poops in the house. When he started peeing inside he would hide and do it or make sure no one was around then go in an obvious spot, and now he pees right in front of me! After he pees inside he always runs and sits at the door with a guilty look because he knows he is supposed to go outside. I correct him by saying "no, pee outside!" and then I put him outside. Not working. He's been doing this now for a solid month. He has peed in rhe house everyday now for a month. I am losing my mind. I do not want to be the person the gives up and gives their pet away, but I also have a toddler and the puppy is just adding way too much frustration to the mix. I do not know why he randomly started going indoors, but my home is only a rental. I dont want to lose my $500 damage deposit either. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've invested so much money into this dog. It's just heartbreaking.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #5 ·
Rollo gets tonnes of exercise everyday, between running thru the house with a toddler to playing fetch and running in a large field backyard. He is trained on a leash as well. He visits the vet often. They said he is in perfect health. He has all his vaccines and he eats expensive dog food, Nutrience grain free. He just randomly started peeing on the carpeting.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
He doesn't pee in the same spots and he never sniffs around to find a spot. He literally will just pee where he is standing at the time if he feels the urge to. He also has a crate. He sleeps there at night and when I am gone. Never has an accident in it. Sometimes during the day he goes in there to nap.

Discussion starter · #12 ·
He has water readily available always. He just pees like he doesn't care. He used to do it when nobody was in the room, but now he does it in front of me. He peed on my bedroom carpet this morning only a few feet from me. As soon as he pees, he runs and sits at the door. Every time. He never sits at the door of if he needs to pre. He will only sit at the door to go out and play or to go out and poop, and when he is outside he does pee. He just seems to now prefer urinating on the floors indoors.

Discussion starter · #15 ·
He's on a high protein food because he's a large breed dog and the brand I chose for him is healthy, which matters to me. Regardless if more protein equals a fuller bladder, he still knows that he is expected to urinate outdoors. He has been on this food since day one and never had potty issues until a month ago. It has to be something else.. Just don't know what. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Keeping all opinions in mind. :)

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.