Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 3 year old husky, Koda. He has almost never been on a leash and never really had to go potty on one.

I do not have a fenced in yard. (should get it up this spring/summer) Just having him out on the leash has been interesting...

He will pee on the leash but he is really refusing to poo on one. I am trying everything I can think of.

I have walked him and walked him. The weather is super bad here, we had a white out it got so bad. Even bundling up it is just too much for me to walk him much and I really love walking. But even on our walks..nada. He shows zero interest in going.

I have him on a 25ft lead to maybe make him feel like he isn't as restricted... nope he won't go.

I put him out on a tie out cable system- so his leash is connected above him and he can walk back and forth across the yard. Hoping it would help if he wasnt tripping over the leash. Still nothing.

I've tried being out with him and him being out by himself. I've left him outside for a while and taken him out very insanely often.

He has gone poop in the house 3 times though. He seems to be holding it as long as possible and seems very stressed about going outside. he asks and asks but when we go out he won't go :( He is fully housebroken and hasn't had an accident in a house since a puppy except once when he got sick.

I know it will just take time to adjust. But I would love advice or tips on how to make him more comfortable.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
If you just got the dog, don't get discouraged by the accidents in the house that happens a lot with dogs getting adopted into new homes.. Every older dog I ever adopted did almost the same thing for about an average of 2 weeks. (some dogs might take longer, even a month or two)

Then for some reason, they started going out side. I believe it's a stress related thing. Don't make a big deal out of the indoor accidents....just pick the mess up and act like nothing happened. Then let the dog out at your normally scheduled time....he's already gone, so I never saw the need to toss them outside after picking the mess up....but I have seen people do that. Never made sense to me though.

Anyway, I think keeping things on a schedule is one of the best things you can do, so the dog learns when his outside time is...and I think once he's not so stressed, he'll do what's natural for him...sniffing out the right spot outside and going there, rather than in the home.

Other's here might have some helpful thoughts and hints too...but again, that's how I've always dealt with my adopted dogs and like I said, all of them had accidents in the house for several weeks before it stopped.

Stormy

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. That is reassuring :)

I wasn't mad or anything over the accidents, I just felt bad for him holding that in! Was more relieved he let it out atleast!

Honestly I'd always rather a poo accident in the house then pee, so much easier to clean! lol

Yeah when he had the accidents I made sure to not make any deal of it and just cleaned it up.

Ill just give him time :)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Leia was the same way, except its not a leash thing, its more of a if you're watching thing.

The answer is that yes he will poop on a leash. Just keep him crated or tied up (with a short <4ft rope) and take him out frequently. At some point before he is so desperate that he will soil a crate or a 4ft radius he will get to the point he is desperate enough to go while on a leash. You need to make sure that in this window you take him out.

After a while he'll probably get used to it (mine did).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts