Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
my mom want's a dog and there is this puppy who's mom was a chihuahua and the dad is a silky terrier/maltese mix.
she is ADORABLE - looks like a wiry jack russel... but i'm wondering about the shedding... my mom will NOT tolerate any shedding and i know chihuahua's do shed.

does anyone out there have any experience with this mix??
any insight??
thanks!!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Yes they do :)

ALL dogs SHED, some just shed very little. If the OP meant "mom does not want a dog that sheds a lot" then yes, poodles are on THAT list
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Yes they do :)

ALL dogs SHED, some just shed very little. If the OP meant "mom does not want a dog that sheds a lot" then yes, poodles are on THAT list
Posted via Mobile Device
I own one and have yet to see a single piece of hair fall off her. My mom actually preferred poodles because they do not shed.

Poodles are the only dogs we've owned where we did not have to sweep and vaccuum up hair.

We also chose the poodle over any other breed because we have family who are allergic and would like to have a pet and still have them visit.

·
Banned
636 Posts
everything sheds. Humans, dogs, cats, reptiles, frogs, toads, even insects. its just something that happens with all living creatures some shed more than others.

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
Kinda OT but I heard that the difference with poodles shedding and other dogs is that poodles have hair so maybe they lose some hair but not like other dogs lose their fur. IDK it's just what I remember hearing.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
They do shed, its not an argument bc it happens. My friend bred poodles, they do shed just not as much as some other dogs.

Also FWIW poodles require more grooming than the average dog so the shedding tends to be less obvious.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
11,910 Posts
Loose hair tends to stick in a poodles coat. (Atleast thats my understanding according to several friends- one is a groomer and the other has standard poodles).
Plus like Pawz said, they are groomed frequently!

But yeah... all dogs are going to shed some. Others more and others considerably less. Breeds on the "non-shedding" list just shed very little.;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
shedding

ok, ok! nevermind the shedding statement!
:)

my question is -
has anyone ever had a mix like this?
chihuahua/maltese/silky terrier?
if so, how much shedding was there?
was it 'chihuhua fur style'
or 'maltese/terrier/poodle style'?

is that clearer" ~laughter~

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok ok ! never mind the no shedding comment! :O)

my question is - has any one had this mix of dog before? if so, what the shedding "chihuahua fur style" or "maltese/terrier/poodle style"?

~laughter~

·
Super Moderator
11,910 Posts
Because its a mix its hard to say...
Its going to depend more on the coat type of this dog than the different breeds in the mix.

The best thing you can do is to meet the dog!
Talk to the person who currently has the dog to see how much it sheds.
Ask to hold it (so you can see how much fur sticks to your clothing). I suppose you could even brush it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts