Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't worry, I don't think that there are pedigree Lurchers, just thought that I would let you know about a silly woman earlier.

I went for a walk with the dogs this morning as usual, and was allready really tired anyway, when this woman with a little lurcher pup come up to me, and started talking about how great Lurchers are, I said that I agree, but Honey is a longdog but still just as great (I like using the more technical term
).

Anyway after this a little cross breed terrier come up to play, as Honey was off lead this was all fine, until the woman said that she don't like cross breeds
I said to her how can you say that when you've got a lurcher, to which she replied well she's a pedigree, although the breeder didn't register her litter

After this I was asking her questions and asked whether the breeder ment line bred and not pedigree, to which she was sure that her lurcher was a pedigree.

At this point a rabbit was in front of us, and all dogs ran when it moved, and then this woman turned on me, saying that my dogs were a bad influence making her dog chase, she had never done that before, and she don't want a dog who will run off, I should of told her that they would chase the rabbit.

At this point I asked her if she even knew what kind of dog that she had got, she had not only got a cross breed, but she had a cross breed with a high prey drive, and that Lurchers will give chase a lot if they see a small furry move fast and walked away because I couldn't be asked to say anymore, I do wonder how long she will keep that puppy though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
LOL people and their "knowledge" never cease to amaze me! She is obviously clueless as to what she has or what they were bred for furthermore any animal, dog or otherwise can have a "pedigree" but registration is another story. A pedigree is simply a record of its sire/dam grandsire/granddam etc. has nothing at all to do with registration, however there are a lot of small type registries for the vast numbers of designer dogs it gives the breeders something to toss in to make their mixed breed mutts more appealing and expensive to buy.
I think I would have walked off to...Laughing my head off LOL

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is funny, espcially considering that a Lurcher is a cross between any sighthound and any other dog, I would like to see a puppy with sighthound in it that doesn't want to chase a animal, or let alone any puppy that can chase a animal, not chase one lol.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Sounds a lot like the woman with the pure bred Jackawawa I met. Nothing I said could convince her she had a mutt.

wow, your dogs taught a lurcher to chase a rabbit...thats obsurd! We all know sighthounds aren't bred for that :p :p ahahahah

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Ill be honest I have worked with dogs for 9 years and have never heard of a lurcher or sighthound LOL shows my lack of knowledge as well!

I do not appreciate people who blame others dogs for anything...I took my 4 dogs to a dog park and had my chihuahuas in the large general area when a woman came in with a boxer and hollars "those dogs are too small to be in here" as her boxer darts over and tramples them...now they are used to big dogs, but I still went over and picked up my dogs..the woman proceeds to tell me her dog would never do that and it was my fault.... all I did was laugh and walk away. No biggie but good grief.. some owners need a chill pill.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I have a beagle mix...tons of fun... he is the cutest dang thing when he takes off running tho around the house or yard. he is the happiest boy ever too lol

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sighthounds are greyhound type dogs.. whippets, basenjis,

Scenthounds are beagle, bloodhound types.

both run after stuff when you don't want them too...lol:p

I had a sighthound mix for a while, awesome mix.
Aww what sighthound mix did you have?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ill be honest I have worked with dogs for 9 years and have never heard of a lurcher or sighthound LOL shows my lack of knowledge as well!

I do not appreciate people who blame others dogs for anything...I took my 4 dogs to a dog park and had my chihuahuas in the large general area when a woman came in with a boxer and hollars "those dogs are too small to be in here" as her boxer darts over and tramples them...now they are used to big dogs, but I still went over and picked up my dogs..the woman proceeds to tell me her dog would never do that and it was my fault.... all I did was laugh and walk away. No biggie but good grief.. some owners need a chill pill.
hehe, that's a cute story. You did the right thing.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whippet x shiba inu...

he was amazing

Whats hilarious is that i went to shelters (it was my first dog) looking for either a whippet OR a shiba (my two favs at the time)...I was shocked when I found him
Aww he sounds so cute.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts