Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't a recent story, but I just happened upon it somehow. I don't really remember. I believe it was sometime in November last year. Not like this sort of this hasn't happened before.

Basically a women asked to see a puppy, so an employee took the dog out and set them both in a little cubicle-like playpen. It was a busy night so the employee turned her attention to another customer. With no one watching, the women put the dog in her tote and just left. This was all caught on surveillance but I don't believe they ever identified her.

But it got me thinking, had the women been with good intentions in mind, could this sort of theft be 'right'? I'm not saying im supporting theft or anything and I believe everyone should get dogs from rescues, shelters, or reputable breeders. But honestly, aren't pet stores the criminals? Before you say: "Yeah but two wrongs don't make a right" Well is saving a puppy really wrong? It directly affects the store and makes them lose money. This women stole an expensive puppy. In the upper thousands of dollars.

So long as she doesn't get caught, no one can support puppy mills through that puppy.

I feel like if this women had good intentions, then in a way I admire her.

Am I the only one who feels this way? What do you think? Can stealing, given the circumstance, be morally OK?

Honestly after thinking about it, I kind of wish she grabbed a few more while she was there.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I can see your viewpoint, but the idea makes me a bit uncomfortable for two reasons...

1) I feel as though anyone who would actually go through with this would have a unique mindset. It kind of reminds me of "rescue" people who believe that no one else is capable of caring for an animal. It also reminds me a bit of the story that @revolutionrocknroll posted regarding the homeless man who had his dog ripped away from him by "animal rescuers".

Not saying that's where she's coming from, but it feels eerily similar.

2) It's honestly just as likely that she simply wanted the puppy but didn't want to pay for it. She could be mistreating this dog or even breeding this dog; there's no way to tell.

I don't think supporting pet stores is right, and I honestly feel awful for the puppies and wish they would all just shut down. If someone really was trying to save a puppy in that manner, I can't say I would be totally upset if their intentions were good. But it's really hard to tell what someone's intentions are.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Even if her intentions are good, I don't think this is the right way to go about combating pet stores, puppy mills and backyard breeders. While it's money that's not going to the petstore, they're not taking a huge loss either and will likely just replace the puppy with another one.

Education, boycotting, picketing, petitioning lawmakers, getting the media involved are all better ways that will have a long term impact.

I think this situation is a grey area though- not black or white.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Interesting point of view. Since people have been known to steal puppies from shelters does that mean they want to promote the point of view that shelters are bad? Most people with an agenda will shout it from the rooftops. I would suspect this was your common garden variety thief.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
To me, it doesn't matter what her intentions were... She stole something...period.

Like it or not, the dog belonged to someone else, in this case, a business...and it's a slippery slope if people start justifying theft as 'for the greater good'. What would then keep people from looking at your own personal pet or car or whatever and say... gee, that dog is too thin...I'll take it. [even though the dog is a perfect weight and that person doesn't realize what a perfect weight is for a dog due to seeing so many overweight dogs]. Or they steal your big luxury vehicle...because it sucks up too much gas in their opinion and they are going to do the planet good by destroying it after they get a hold of it.

Maybe because my family owned a store since the 1970's I have a very hard opinion on thieves - our business has had huge plate glass window's broke, a roof/ceiling axed through, and when my dad also owned a bar, a back door broke down and an antique safe dragged over a gorgeous inlaid dance floor. All the damage was worth way more than what the robbers took.

The antique safe was left in the alley because they robbers couldn't lift it into their truck. They broke the handle on it though, so a smith from 200 miles away had to come and open it...destroying the door....and this was a gorgeous safe too, built back in the 1800s and it had golden scroll work and embossed designs on it.
All that, plus the petty theft...shoplifters that were a constant pain back when our business was new and used stuff. We also had to deal with people who tried to switch price tags on items...to get a $40.00 lamp for $25.00

So nope... for me... that woman was just a common criminal - who more than likely just wanted a cute adorable puppy and didn't want to pay for it.

Stormy

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
It is theft no matter how you look at it. There is no way to know what her intentions were but could be she just did not want to pay for the puppy and cannot see there is any justification for what she did no matter what she may have thought about Pet Stores selling puppies. Stealing one puppy is not doing anything to stop Pet Stores from selling puppies so no excuse.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Theft is theft and this is unethical. Stealing a dog or even a few dogs is unlikely to accomplish anything for the welfare of the animals. The pet store probably has plenty of puppies waiting in line.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts