Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's another sneak peak into British Columbia wildlife. Driving this morning, saw 2 wolves. Male and female (this is the male). Sorry for the photo quality, it is from my cell. This wolf was HUGE. Had to be about 200lbs. Female was still big, but lankier. I even rarely see wolves, so this was really cool. He looked right in my eyes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Wow! Beautiful!

I would love to see wolves in the wild!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sometimes... I forget I'm not alone in the forest.

Yesterday, we sledded into a site about 6km and then walked another 2km to get to our sites. We did our first site and moved to the second. As I was running my north line for the plot, I heard something and didn't think much of it. Then I heard it again and it stopped me dead in my tracks. Hearing an entire wolf pack howling is one of the most terrifying sounds, when you have no short way out of the bush, no bear spray, because, heck, the BEARS sleep through the winter. It sends shivers through your bones!

I don't think they were on the move, we determined that they live in this big river canyon not far away. It was a really weird feeling.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I've only been near wolves once, on a preserve in far northern MN, but its just like you said Zoorun, hearing them that close was a really uneasy feeling!

Reactions: zoorun

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've only been near wolves once, on a preserve in far northern MN, but its just like you said Zoorun, hearing them that close was a really uneasy feeling!
I was all "Oh God, it's winter. They must be hungry for human! They could take down 2 of us easy. Oh! Was the howling closer thus time!?"

Absolutely ridiculous thinking. I've seen prints before and seen then from the car a few times, but it's totally different to be right in there with them! Now let's hope there are no cougar prints...

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
When I heard them (never saw) we were in a very remote part of a reserve that had walk in fishing. Due to being a reserve, problems, with poaching, and many protected/endangered species living there, you were not allowed to carry a sidearm, only spray/mace.

I had waders on and was about 30 yards out in the water, and I did not want to go back to shore!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I was all "Oh God, it's winter. They must be hungry for human! They could take down 2 of us easy. Oh! Was the howling closer thus time!?"
Not to worry, you don't have to be faster than the wolves. Just don't be the slowest camper ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
This reminds me of one time I was at the Dog park. A guy brought his pair of 50% arctic wolf/50% husky hybrids. Male and female both about the size of irish wolf hounds. I was sitting on a bench when the female climbed on the table and laid down. I started petting her and she began licking my face. One of the sweetest dogs I've ever met.

Scott

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
This reminds me of one time I was at the Dog park. A guy brought his pair of 50% arctic wolf/50% husky hybrids. Male and female both about the size of irish wolf hounds. I was sitting on a bench when the female climbed on the table and laid down. I started petting her and she began licking my face. One of the sweetest dogs I've ever met.

Scott
Urm yah, they weren't 50% wolf hybrids. Not if their reaction to a stranger petting them was to lick said stranger....sorry, either he was lying to you or he was lied to.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wolf mixes are more common here, I suppose there are just more wolves around. My friend's wolf mix is a rescue, but you can definitely tell by her temperament she's not just a dog. She requires a LOT different treatment than a regular dog.

I'm sure you met some wolf mixes actually, I just think the content might be off. And WHAT was the owner thinking bringing wolf dogs to the dog park?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
That's so awesome!!!

My boyfriends mom has what they believe is a wolfdog. He's pretty large and his temperament is very reserved. He's not aggressive, but he won't let anybody get within 6 feet of him. Even people he knows. He just hasn't bonded with anybody. He's also a little insecure in a way...He feels more comfortable when he has the other dog with him. If you take her away, he howls and is a very unhappy dog lol. No way of knowing that he actually has wolf of course, it's just speculation because his temperament is so strange.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I saw a wolf track bigger than my hand today. Eerie since I was doing sites by myself! Also saw some smaller tracks with them, either puppies or coyotes on the wolf's trail after the fact.

Imagine the size of a wolf with paws bigger than my not so small hands!!!

·
Registered
880 Posts
I do remember one time, I have actually seen a wolf in the wild. Looked to be about 200 pounds. It was terrifying because me and my friend were riding bikes. It was chasing after something. I have never pedaled so fast....

·
Registered
207 Posts
What a lucky person to see such beautiful wild life, I bet I will never see a wolf in my life time :) amazing

1 - 20 of 21 Posts