Dog Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1 year old cane corso, italian mastiff has wobblers disease which is a disease of the spine. He had surgery to release compression of the spinal cord almost 3 months ago. Whilst first impressions it seemed to have worked he is now become very unsteady on his legs and is almost at the point of being unable to stand by himself. Has anyone had experience of this disease? I have no idea if it's just a bump in the road for him or if surgery was not a success. thank you

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have never had a dog that had it, but I do know of a horse I work with that does have. He was born with it as well and never had any sort of surgery to fix it as its to risky in a horse. However the best thing we could do for him is to strengthen his back muscles. His back was so weak from not using his legs right that he just could stand right. So we started doing pulling work with him. Of course we started slow and super low weight. We started but just pulling a little bit of wood around the yard. That of course was enough to do him in. But thats a good thing. Over many months of doing this going up in weight he started to do so much better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply and advise. I have heard of the disease in horses too. We did the surgery as the vet advise he would be completely paralysed within months if we didn't. It's now 3 months on and I feel the past 2/3 weeks he's back tracked and very unsteady on his feet again. They've now said unless we mri scan him again there's nothing that can be done. But after the thousands of pounds it's cost all ready with no results it's a hard decision especially putting him through it all again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm so sorry that the surgery wasn't successful for you. Shiloh was recently diagnosed with Wobblers, but due to his age (he's almost 10), idiopathic epilepsy and IVDD at the T13-L1 area, surgery wasn't a good option for him.

The vets we had visited said there wasn't anything we could do for him. He really became unstable on all his legs and it was incredibly hard to watch him stumble around, lose his balance and fall down. I started taking him to a holistic vet two weeks ago who is doing acupuncture/aquapuncture & herbs to help with the legs and his seizures. While it isn't a cure, it has improved his ability to walk tremendously. Not sure if that would be an option for you, but is something to think about.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your reply and sorry to hear you are in the same situation. It's an awful disease and like you say so heartbreaking watching him stumble around. He has been on steroids the last three days and I must admit today has been a good day for him. He managed to walk up and down the garden unaided without falling which is good for his current situation. That's great to hear something is helping, I think I will look into this. I heard hydrotherapy could be an option but my vet doesn't recommend it, has this been suggested to you? Either way he's worth a shot at something and I'm not giving up on him yet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hydrotherpy wasn't discussed, but what the holistic vet said would be the most helpful was electrostimulation, but because of Shiloh's seizures that isn't something we're able to do.

Shiloh was on steroids for a month and they helped a little, but they weren't as successful as what we've gotten from the acupuncture. Three weeks ago he would stumble on the step coming into the house, he walked REAAAALLY slow on our walks, he would have troubles being balanced while standing to drink water, or his legs would give out. Since then, he's very steady on his feet, keeps up on walks (sometimes he's even ahead of me), can maneuver the steps and over objects without falling. It's really been amazing. The vet did tell me, this was not a cure and that typically what will happen is he'll do fine until one day he might completely lose the ability to walk, but that the days he has will be ones where he feels really good. How long will that be? I don't know. Will it happen? Don't know that for sure either, but I know his quality of life has really improved. Each dog is different so I could have years with him. I'm just focusing on the blessing we have today.

I hope that you're able to find something that will be equally, if not more, helpful to your pup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts