Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... the rescue I got my puppy from in Texas said they thought she was a Malamute mix of some kind. After a month with her I was thinking she is a Siberian Husky mixed with Border Collie (she's been herding everyone but me when they get near her food). Wisdom Panel results came back today... 50% Siberian Husky, 25% Chihuahua, 25% mix. How is this chihuahua bit even possible? I mean, I can see how her personality has bits of it. And it would explain how she's 23 lbs at 6 months, and gives me a good answer to all the "how'd you get a mini husky" questions... but like... HOW? :ponder:

Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
This is guess work but I'm going to say it's very likely Grandpa Chihuahua found Grandma medium/large mixed breed and that resulted in her mixed parent and gave your dog a much smaller size! I'm also assuming the Chihuahua was the Grandpa instead of Grandma because if a Chihuahua is impregnated by a much larger dog she'll likely die because she won't be able to deliver the large puppies. But now you'll have the fun of saying "I have a Husky Chihuahua mix" and see people's hilarious expressions! =D

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Could be border collie still instead of Chi - wisdom panel is rather notorious for mixing up the two.

This is my chihuahua according to them:

I also know a handful of other obviously very BCs that came back chi. When i asked them about it, I got
We don't have the information as far as the Border Collie's in your area producing results with the Chihuahua, but we do know how diverse the Chihuahua's are and our algorithm was picking up a confidence level of 25% for the past three generations with Bernoulli's DNA

·
Registered
76 Posts
What a beautiful baby!!

I used Wisdom Panel on my first pup, Riley, as the rescue pegged him a Border Collie mix but he wasn't really herding anything so I had my doubts. WP results came back Australian Kelpie + Setter + Newfoundland (!?) + Random Mix. He definitely looks like a Kelpie-Setter cross, for SURE, and the Newfoundland comes through in his incredibly loud bark (for a 45lb dog you'd think he was huge, lol). I just sent in another WP test on my new rescue, Ember, who I'm pretty sure is a purebred blue mottled Aussie Cattle Dog. Anxiously awaiting the results of that.

·
Registered
951 Posts
results are too small to read at least the mixed part.

also realize that the test looks for 'nonsense' parts of the genome that doesn't seem to code for anything, A certain nonsense segment may be found in all the individual dogs of a certain breed they test for, but might also be found in 1 of 10 dogs of a different breed, meaning you get false positives.

Further, realize that it really can't tell where the genes are coming from. A report may say 1 parent is pure doberman the other parent is half husky half GSD. The truth may be that one parent was half doberman and half husky and the other parent was half doberman and half GSD.

In your case, instead of your dog having one grandparent that is a Chiwie and one Grandparent that is a 'mix' your dog probably had 2 grandparents that were mixes, but both mixes happened to have chewies in their respective makeup.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm dying to get one of these done on my dog xD

You should start introducing her as a Chihuahua. See how much you mess with dog-ignorant brains!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
When I hear about wisdom panels, I just tell them what everyone here has already said. Take the dna tests with a grain of salt.

My rescue Kuma came back all of the mix in my signature. Now, all of those mixes I believe except the red and white Irish Setter and Pomeranian. (Kuma has no fur on his belly, parts of his chest in front, under his front armpits, and the insides of all his legs.) If he had Irish Setter and Pom, shouldn't he have more fur then that?

Anyways, your pup is very beautiful.

The other mix of Nata (RIP) I beleive except the Boston Terrier part.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I, as well, will pop in here to say that basically all of the DNA tests for dogs on the market right now are basically shams until more concrete and accurate testing becomes available. I wouldn't bother wasting money. It's the DNA test version of Service Dog registrations... scams and frauds.

A story I've been sharing for a while now really makes it clear how inept these labs are. I had a client with Golden Retrievers. Purebred from a reputable breeder who did health tests, allowed meeting of the parents, all the good stuff you want from a legitimate breeder. Just for fun my client sent in one of his dog's DNA for breed testing. It came back as a Chihuahua and other toy breed cross. Yorkshire or Maltese, something like that. My client called the lab because there must have been a mistake. But no, the lab confirmed that the test results were accurate. No accidental lab mixups.

This has happened with many people I know. These tests can't even pinpoint a purebred dog. And with that the case, how can they possibly tell us what different breeds are in our lovable little mutts?

In the future, save your money for when someone legitimate actually does accurate testing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts